Edvard Puskaric

Default Bass Guitar Ducked under Kick

I've never used this. I've read about it and even seen processors
dedicated to taking the envelope of one signal and applying it to
another.

I would like to know of a good example song so I can listen to it in
context.

Thanks

Ed
BlacklineMusic

Ed, if I use this technique, its usually the bass guitar that ducks with the
kick and the guitars that duck with the snare. I don't use it anymore because
I never find that my snare or kick need and more impact. It helps if you have
a compressor, like the SSL 384, on you whole mix. This will automatically make
your guitar and bass duck when the kick and snare strike. To tell you what it
was used on its tough because if it is done well it is hardly audible. Just
sounds like a punchy ass kick and snare. The problem is, if you have too
punchy a kick and snare, the mastering engineer will most likely level them
back down with some compression or else you will distort the peak limiter to
get it commercial loud. Hope this helps.
Steve
www.blacklinerock.com