John Hong

Default Replay Gain?

I know of one software that employs this; MP3Gain, but it only
works on mp3's. Does anyone know of software that uses this method of
normalization on WAV's, OGG's?

David Magda

(John Hong) writes:

I know of one software that employs this; MP3Gain, but it
only works on mp3's. Does anyone know of software that uses this
method of normalization on WAV's, OGG's?

For Ogg Vorbis audio files:

http://users.pandora.be/sjeng/vorbisgain.html

I don't think it's possible with WAV files. Most of the Replay Gain
utilities add headers to the audio file. This is not possible with
WAV files since it's the raw data(?).

--
David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca, http://www.magda.ca/
John Hong

David Magda writes:

(John Hong) writes:

I know of one software that employs this; MP3Gain, but it
only works on mp3's. Does anyone know of software that uses this
method of normalization on WAV's, OGG's?

For Ogg Vorbis audio files:

http://users.pandora.be/sjeng/vorbisgain.html

I don't think it's possible with WAV files. Most of the Replay Gain
utilities add headers to the audio file. This is not possible with
WAV files since it's the raw data(?).

Thanks for the info. I guess 500 kbps OGG will retain more of the
original sound quality than 320 kbps MP3, so there is an upswing to this.

David Magda

(John Hong) writes:

Thanks for the info. I guess 500 kbps OGG will retain more
of the original sound quality than 320 kbps MP3, so there is an
upswing to this.

320 kbps Ogg Vorbis arguably (!) has better sound quality than
320 kbps MP3.