P Stamler

Default Gear and humidity

Tape likes 30% to 70% relative humidity and it's usually more touchy
than the equipment.

True -- but not all equipment. Some Neumann microphones, for example, have a
real problem with high humidity. I had a KM-84's capsule die on me while
recording an opera at about 90% relative humidity, 85 degrees F. or so.

Had a long talk with the main SR englineer at the Ravinia festival one time
(mid-to-late 1980s) about his choices of microphones. I saw a lot of AKG C-451s
hanging over various sections, but nary a Neumann -- he said they simply
wouldn't hold up to the humidity. His main pair was an ORTF arrangement of --
SM-81s. Said nothing else could be counted on in that environment.

Peace,
Paul (still remembering Salome)
Scott Dorsey

P Stamler wrote:

Had a long talk with the main SR englineer at the Ravinia festival one time
(mid-to-late 1980s) about his choices of microphones. I saw a lot of AKG C-451s
hanging over various sections, but nary a Neumann -- he said they simply
wouldn't hold up to the humidity. His main pair was an ORTF arrangement of --
SM-81s. Said nothing else could be counted on in that environment.

Sennheiser MKH-series mikes! The RF electronics means there is no high
capsule bias voltage to leak all over the place. I am constantly amazed
at how well they perform in really humid environments.
Justin Ulysses Morse

Lars wrote:

How much "relative humidity" can typical audio gear (amplifiers,
guitars, drums, microphones, mic preamps, mixing desks) handle?

I have a room that has a 50% "relative humidity" that I intend to use
for recording and practicing with my band. I have no idea if this
humidity is "normal" or not, but to me it looks like a pretty high
figure. What made me even think about it is that there happens to be a
hygrometer on the wall; it actually doesn't seem particularly humid in
there.

Most people say 50% is ideal, but I find the drums sound better and
hold their tune better, and to some extent guitars do too, at around
60-65%. You definitely don't want to go below about 30% if you have
any wooden instruments around, and you don't want to go above about 80%
if you can help it. Here in MN, the central air takes care of the
humidity in the summer, but it gets very dry in the winter. A
humidifier is essential.

ulysses