sharky

Default Lucid ADA1000 Questions/Opinions

So I'm pulling the trigger on a RME Digiface (for use with a TiBook &
Reason/Cubase SX) and I'm looking for a nice, cheap set of converters
(though I wonder if I should be spending a bit more for better ones).
I am intrigued by the Lucid ADA1000. I am aware it is 20bit. I will
be using it as so:

Guitar-AvalonU5-ADA1000-Cubase SX for DI tracks (to be reamped
later) that are to be used along with sequences that will be the basis
for studio tracks of the live drums (a glorified click track of
sorts). After drums are laid down (tracked through a Neve and
converted into Cubase SX via Apogee AD8000's) in the studio, it'll be
back to the mobile rig to record bass, more guitars and vox at all
sorts of different locations. Synth/sampler tracks will be reamped
and reused, etc. etc.

My questions are these:

1) I understand this converter set (ADA1000) can't be clocked. Is
this a big deal in your opinion(s)?
2) Buying a pair of Lucid 24/96 AD and DA's would be about $1000 -
$1250. For my application above would this money be better spent
towards say, maybe a Manley Mono DI & a Evil Twin for extra options
adding 'life' to Reason synths and getting different character out of
my basses?
3) The mics/amps/pre-amps used in the reamping/reabusing/recycling of
guitars/synths/basses/samples/vox are all of substantial quality. In
the opinions of those here, is the ADA1000 clearly the weak link or
would this be acceptable to you for this application?

I've always had the luxury of recording in studios with either A) good
AD/DA in house or B) we had the budget to rent good converters. I've
used my old PC/Delta 66/Nuendo rig as a scratch pad for songs
(sequenced drums, Sansamp git tracks), but as this was a scratch pad I
never would have considered releasing it. Now I'm putting together
this mobile rig with the idea of using some of the tracks on released
material and I don't want to short the conversion stage of the signal
chain BUT there is always other tasty gear to buy... what would you
do?

thanks in advance-

sharky
Justin Ulysses Morse

The ADA1000 is very functional and competent. If your recordings suck
through the Lucid, then they would've sucked through any converter.

ulysses