Posted to rec.audio.pro
PenttiL[_2_] PenttiL[_2_] is offline

Default The maintenance of CD-r players

On recent years I have got a lot of problem with several CD-r players
and CD-rom burners, some of them have pro-quality, or whatever it will
when mean...

At first, at brand new, they work OK. Then they will begin to make
mechanical noise while the CD-r set into the player, and maybe the
player will run and turn the Cd-r disc longer time than early before it
recognize the disc. Also the finalizing will take longer time than
early. I have used several medias of several manufactures -same result.
The most serious problem is, that the burned disc will get increase more
errors who will make sudden scratches to the sound. Early time I had an
Yamaha pro-quality CD-rom burner who wounded this way, some weeks ago
the Plextor ( on SCSI bus beside the Sadie work-station... ) started to
make odd things as I told before. I though, there's some bad quality
disc, I tried to burn a Verbatim disc, the Plextor burned it through,
but there was no sound at all on the burned disc. Odd?
At last the standalone, rack mounted HHB BurnIT CD-burner started to
make very same kind errors as I told.
What's wrong with these players? Is it how easy to try myself to clean
these players? Do there collect some dust on sure places so I could to
clean this? Or some other kind maintenance? Do they include some
particles who are maybe too worn so they should change to the new one
particle? The obsolete Yamaha-burner I have throw away, but at least the
HHB and Plextor will should have to fix as good condition so I can burn
the discs for some time. These players are at least five years old, but
I think I have burn with them maybe several hundreds on discs, but less
than one thousand. What to do? Do I throw them away and will buy a new
ones or are there some method, so I can continue the life of these tools?

-Pentti
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"PenttiL" wrote in
message

On recent years I have got a lot of problem with several
CD-r players and CD-rom burners, some of them have
pro-quality, or whatever it will when mean...

At first, at brand new, they work OK. Then they will
begin to make mechanical noise while the CD-r set into
the player, and maybe the player will run and turn the
Cd-r disc longer time than early before it recognize the
disc. Also the finalizing will take longer time than
early. I have used several medias of several manufactures
-same result.

Sure, just replaced an Asus DVD burner with those symptoms yesterday. The
bad burner before that was a LiteOn.

The most serious problem is, that the
burned disc will get increase more errors who will make
sudden scratches to the sound. Early time I had an Yamaha
pro-quality CD-rom burner who wounded this way, some
weeks ago the Plextor ( on SCSI bus beside the Sadie
work-station... ) started to make odd things as I told
before. I though, there's some bad quality disc, I tried
to burn a Verbatim disc, the Plextor burned it through,
but there was no sound at all on the burned disc. Odd?

No, those are all the common antics of optical disc drives that are singing
their swan song, dancing out the door, going west, just plain checking out.

At last the standalone, rack mounted HHB BurnIT CD-burner
started to make very same kind errors as I told.
What's wrong with these players?

At $25 a piece to replace, I don't get paid enough to think that hard. ;-)

Is it how easy to try
myself to clean these players? Do there collect some dust
on sure places so I could to clean this?

There might be dust on the lens, but probably not.

Or some other
kind maintenance? Do they include some particles who are
maybe too worn so they should change to the new one
particle? The obsolete Yamaha-burner I have throw away,
but at least the HHB and Plextor will should have to fix
as good condition so I can burn the discs for some time.

At $25 a piece to replace, I don't get paid enough to think that hard about
them. ;-)

These players are at least five years old, but I think I
have burn with them maybe several hundreds on discs, but
less than one thousand. What to do? Do I throw them away
and will buy a new ones or are there some method, so I
can continue the life of these tools?

I'd be happy if every optical burner lasted 5 years. The one I replaced
yesterday had a manufacturing date of Oct 2007. I probably burned an
average of 2 CDs and 2 DVDs a week with it. I probably ripped or loaded
about the same number of discs. It was miles from its rated MTBF.

At $25 a piece to replace, I don't get paid enough to think that long about
them. 2 plugs, 2 screws, I get on with the rest of my life.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"PenttiL" wrote ...
On recent years I have got a lot of problem with several CD-r players and
CD-rom burners, some of them have pro-quality, or whatever it will when
mean...

You mentioned vaguely that you had tried several different
brands of media. Remember that many "brands" are merely
marketing labels and the actual discs are OEMed from which-
ever factory sells the cheapest discs that month. Try using a
spindle of genuine (not counterfeit) Taiyo-Yuden discs and
see if you are still getting the same symptoms.

Of course the drives themselves have their own wear-out and
failure modes, to be sure. But as Arny observed, they are so
incredibly cheap that it would be less hassle to just replace
them than to futz around with them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message
They have a short lifetime, limited by the laser diode. 500 burns is said

be the norm.

Nah... The burner at my office has burned 3300 CD's now and is still going
strong. It's a Plextor PX230A as part of a Primera DiskPublisher II.

Meindert

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
message
"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message
They have a short lifetime, limited by the laser diode.
500 burns is said to be the norm.

Nah... The burner at my office has burned 3300 CD's now
and is still going strong. It's a Plextor PX230A as part
of a Primera DiskPublisher II.

I did the math on the manufacturer specs for one of my Asus drives, and they
claim more than 500 burns of CDs. However, burning DL DVDs could use a drive
up in far fewer burns than that.

MTBF specs for a modern DVD drive:

60,000 Power On Hours

That's 6.8 years.

Operating Duty Cycle (Read) 20% POH

That's 1.3 years of active reading.

Operating Duty Cycle (Write) 2% POH

That's 1,200 hours

That could be less than 500 burns of DL DVDs.

--------------------------------

The current model of the PX230-type drive is the PX240

MTBF 60,000 at 25% duty cycle, room temperature

That's 6.8 years.

Tray Loading 30,000 load/unload cycles

No other details seem to be available.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Meindert Sprang" wrote ...
Nah... The burner at my office has burned 3300 CD's now and is still going
strong. It's a Plextor PX230A as part of a Primera DiskPublisher II.

Note that Plextor has a reputation of being above-average quality.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:

Note that Plextor has a reputation of being above-average quality.

They had that reputation at least 5 years ago, maybe more. Nobody talks
about Plextor
now the way they did then. I think the change came when they started
making DVD drives
and selling them at near-popular prices.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

On Feb 27, 12:01 am, "Meindert Sprang"
wrote:
"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

They have a short lifetime, limited by the laser diode. 500 burns is said

be the norm.

Nah... The burner at my office has burned 3300 CD's now and is still going
strong. It's a Plextor PX230A as part of a Primera DiskPublisher II.

Meindert

I have to agree here. My Dell burner, whatever that happens to be, has
been burning discs since the beginning of 2003. I can't even count the
number, well over 500, I'm sure.

My Plextor external DVD burner (dual layer) is much younger and I
expect it will work flawlessly for a good while, too.

--Fletch
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Ts Jay Ts is offline

Fletch wrote:
Meindert Sprang wrote:
"Soundhaspriority" wrote

They have a short lifetime, limited by the laser diode. 500 burns is
said to be the norm.

Nah... The burner at my office has burned 3300 CD's now and is still
going strong. It's a Plextor PX230A as part of a Primera DiskPublisher
II.

Meindert

It takes Plextor to make a decent burner!

I have to agree here. My Dell burner, whatever that happens to be, has
been burning discs since the beginning of 2003. I can't even count the
number, well over 500, I'm sure.

My Plextor external DVD burner (dual layer) is much younger and I expect
it will work flawlessly for a good while, too.

--Fletch

Every CD burner I've had, going back to a Sony 2x model, has
worked well and has been reliable.

On the other hand, my earlier DVD burners were awful. I had
a LITE-ON, and 2 Pioneers. Two of those failed while they were
still relatively young, and produced DVDs that later could
not be read by any of my computers. Neither had burned any
huge number of discs. I think the remaining Pioneer can only
burn CDs, but I haven't used it in so long I don't remember.

I had to wait until Plextor delivered a DVD burner to switch to them.

Now I'm using 2 Plextors, and so far, they have both been
good -- except that I'm getting only about an 80% success rate
when burning dual-layer DVDs. (Using Verbatim media, which
are supposed to be the most complatible with the Plextor
models I have.)

I *hope* that the DVDs I've burned with the Plextor drives
will still be readable years from now! On the few occasions
when I've tried it, some CDs that I burned 10 years ago no
longer work. (This might be because I tried out cheap discs
on some occasions. Nowadays I only use Taiyo Yuden "premium"
discs for CD-R and DVD-R.)

Jay Ts
--
To contact me, use this web page:
http://www.jayts.com/contact.php
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On 03 Mar 2009 01:33:22 GMT, Jay Ts
wrote:

I *hope* that the DVDs I've burned with the Plextor drives
will still be readable years from now!

I think there's a fair chance that CDs burnt today might have a
reasonably long life. I wouldn't be too hopeful about DVDs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 03 Mar 2009, Laurence Payne wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I think there's a fair chance that CDs burnt today might have a
reasonably long life. I wouldn't be too hopeful about DVDs.

Why not?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] lowgen36@ao1.com is offline

Now I'm using 2 Plextors, and so far, they have both been good

My last! Plextor lasted several months.