Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jay[_13_] Jay[_13_] is offline

Default Just got a DEAD Mcintosh, Dangit!!

Just got a mac 1700 (McIntosh NY) Tube FM solid state Hybrid amp at a
Flee
market for $150. (no warranty)
I looked at it and it had all glowing tubes and I thought YEAH!
SCORE!!! Turns out its not working very well!
it sounds horrid and muffled and farty with a constant scratchy
sound.
Hmm, I dont know if I should toss $75 into the tubes or give up.
I dont know if I want a $150 crap amp or $240 guessing game for new
tubes.

heh I guess I rushed out thinking it was a tube amp "McIntosh" but
its a "Mac 1700" and to boot not a tube power amp! FUK! Its solid
state with no pre amp.

Would it sound OK if using the SS amp or not sound OK if the FM tuner
tubes were bad? Hell there like 10 tubes in there so I looked at it
and thought KILLER DUDE but its not and I plopped out the $150 and
the
guy was No returns AS IS and I was yeah this thing is killer "you wont
see me again SUCKER"
But I was the sucker lol.

My room mate was laughing at me when I got it called it a "Rust
bucket" turns out he had the real deal back in the day.
What am I looking at in tubes to even test this thing out or will I
kill my self with shock.

I really wanted high end!

I have two tubes I can put in, will I die?
Can I put my hand right in side and pull the dead tubes out?

Its this model but not the same Unit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-McIntosh...1%7C240%3A1318
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jay wrote:

Just got a mac 1700 (McIntosh NY) Tube FM solid state Hybrid amp at a
Flee
market for $150. (no warranty)
I looked at it and it had all glowing tubes and I thought YEAH!
SCORE!!! Turns out its not working very well!
it sounds horrid and muffled and farty with a constant scratchy
sound.

Well that's what old tube amps sound like silly.

What did you expect ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jay wrote:

Its this model but not the same Unit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-McIntosh...1%7C240%3A1318

I hope you're not thinking of pulling any girls with that !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jay[_13_] Jay[_13_] is offline

Grills or girls..
I dont understand.
I have the grills already off and swapped some tubes with some I had
but it appears I need a good TV repair guy to go any farther.

Can I get some cheaper tubes and see if the thing is a total loss?

I hope you're not thinking of pulling any girls with that !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jay wrote:

Grills or girls..
I dont understand.
I have the grills already off and swapped some tubes with some I had
but it appears I need a good TV repair guy to go any farther.

Can I get some cheaper tubes and see if the thing is a total loss?

Considered it as a boat anchor ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Nov 13, 6:17*pm, Jay wrote:
[...]

Its this model but not the same Unit.http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-McIntosh...Working-1960s_...

First: Ignore Eeyore. Other than being a rather simple idiot and kill-
joy, he hasn't a clue as to the actual care-and-feeding needed for
your receiver.

Moving on.

a) Likely the tubes are not the problem. If they are, they are pretty
much last on the list of things you should do or check.
b) You will need to clean the controls and switches, and then make
specific tests at each stage.
c) If you have a metered variac (voltage and load), this will be a
useful instrument in the initial (and very basic) diagnosis stage.
Without it or an equivalent, you will not learn as much as quickly.

If the above three items leave you scratching your head, then you
should find that local repair person - or be willing to pay the
freight and send it off to the Gurus of Binghamton and let them deal
with it. If you understand all those things - let us know what you
have found after cleaning.

What do you know about capacitors?

Does this unit have selenium diodes?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:

First: Ignore Eeyore. Other than being a rather simple idiot and kill-
joy, he hasn't a clue as to the actual care-and-feeding needed for
your receiver.

Modern electronics doesn't need any.

Does this unit have selenium diodes?

OMG ! They stink when they go. Not seen one in over 30 years I should think.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Eeysore"
Jay wrote:

Just got a mac 1700 (McIntosh NY) Tube FM solid state Hybrid amp at a
Flee
market for $150. (no warranty)
I looked at it and it had all glowing tubes and I thought YEAH!
SCORE!!! Turns out its not working very well!
it sounds horrid and muffled and farty with a constant scratchy
sound.

Well that's what old tube amps sound like silly.

** How many time do I have to post the same thing to this CREIN ???

**** Learn to ****ing read - you IDIOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ***

The amp ** IS ** a transistor model

- only the tuner uses valves.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Nov 13, 7:47*pm, Eeyore

OMG ! They stink when they go. Not seen one in over 30
years I should think.

You should, but you don't.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Phil Allison wrote:

"Eeysore"
Jay wrote:

Just got a mac 1700 (McIntosh NY) Tube FM solid state Hybrid amp at a
Flee
market for $150. (no warranty)
I looked at it and it had all glowing tubes and I thought YEAH!
SCORE!!! Turns out its not working very well!
it sounds horrid and muffled and farty with a constant scratchy
sound.

Well that's what old tube amps sound like silly.

** How many time do I have to post the same thing to this CREIN ???

**** Learn to ****ing read - you IDIOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ***

The amp ** IS ** a transistor model

- only the tuner uses valves.

So the OP is an ignorant pillock ? No surpise there then.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jay[_13_] Jay[_13_] is offline

yeah I can tell Eeyore is a goob...
Every news group has one, self appointed king of his own trolllandia.

I think I'm going to demand my money back and find another broken tube
amp to rebuild and repair.
Thanks, to bad I had seen the amp and all the tubes and tube baskets
and grills and was in tube heaven for about 2 hours.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jay wrote:

yeah I can tell Eeyore is a goob...
Every news group has one, self appointed king of his own trolllandia.

I think I'm going to demand my money back

The most sensible thing you've said so far. It's going to be totally
shagged anyway.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jay[_13_] Jay[_13_] is offline

The old **** cussed me out when asked for my money back.
I said he listed it as "Vintage Tube amp" but it was a S.S amp so
kindley id like a refund..
He left the money with his office and im to pick it up monday all the
while cussing me out and slammed the phone.

Ill put the $150 twords a $600 Amp and start fresh.
Live and learn..

I think I'm going to demand my money back

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 14, 5:57*pm, Jay wrote:
The old **** cussed me out when asked for my money back.
I said he listed it as "Vintage Tube amp" but it was a S.S amp so
kindley id like a refund..
He left the money with his office and im to pick it up monday all the
while cussing me out and slammed the phone.

Ill put the $150 twords a $600 Amp and start fresh.
Live and learn..

I think I'm going to demand my money back- Hide quoted text -

Mpffffff.... That McIntosh @ $150 (fixed) is a better value than any
given $600 tube amp (at retail). Add to that - the McIntosh is a piece-
O-cake to fix.

Much as Eeyore is a sad, silly, desperately unhappy SOB, you are a
fool for letting it go at that price.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jay wrote:

The old **** cussed me out when asked for my money back.
I said he listed it as "Vintage Tube amp" but it was a S.S amp so
kindley id like a refund..
He left the money with his office and im to pick it up monday all the
while cussing me out and slammed the phone.

Ill put the $150 twords a $600 Amp and start fresh.
Live and learn..

Get something new and solid state. They sound vastly better. Tubes are
only for those who like their subtle added distortions and non-linear
load dependent frquency response. They are NOT 'more accurate' by a
country mile compared to modern well-designed solid state.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

On Nov 14, 7:24*pm, Eeyore
wrote:

(snip)

Get something new and solid state. They sound vastly better. Tubes are
only for those who like their subtle added distortions and non-linear
load dependent frquency response. They are NOT 'more accurate' by a
country mile compared to modern well-designed solid state.

Graham

I agree, but tubes glow and look nice in the dark! You can design
'em, build 'em, collect 'em, refurbish 'em, fix 'em, roll tubes in and
out of 'em, swap OPT's, fiddle with square waves, tweak O/P power,
bass & highs, and have all sorts of vintage fun... even listen to
music on 'em now and again! "Keep the old 'uns playing". But for high
quality classical music listening I use a decent solid state pre-amp
and a 300 watt solid state stereo amplifier with linear FET O/Ps.
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jay[_13_] Jay[_13_] is offline

So should I keep it?
I seen em working on ebay for cheap and this is $150 not working.

looks like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-McIntosh...1%7C240%3A1318

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Jay wrote:

[...]

I get people coming to me with crap they have bought on e-bay or some
church fete or garage sale and they expect me to fix it for less than
what they paid, and I say "when I get time".

None make me an offer I cannot refuse.

None want to pay me as a skilled tradesman; all want me working 3 weeks
to fully rewire, re-design the **** so it performs safely and reliably
and to an acceptable spec.

They hate paying more than $200. Often It gathers dust for 5 years. I
won't work for nothing.
For example, one dude brings Quad-II amps with smashed tubes and many
glaring faults, and a type 22 control unit.
I priced the repairs at aud $1500. But the dude said when he brought the
mess "I don't want too pay too much." I can tell from how he says it and
the look on his face that he doesn't want to pay much. He doesn't ring
and chase me, he doesn't motivate me, he doesn't try to get a deal ok
for the BOTH of us, and I am chasing more lucrative work, and I will
never get time to work to convert the Quad crap into un-craperized Quad
gear. I have 6 months work in front of me so I an't gonna chase him to
tell him the bad news on the repair costs. One other customer saw the
Quad crap in my shed and tried to buy the amps from the owner at maybe
$200. The owner refused to sell. He doesn't even know my quotation yet.
Even if this **** changed owners, its me who still has the job to fix
them. And the guy who wanted to buy them hates paying the right price.
He might be a Assistant Trade Commissioner, and gets around in a nice
suit and car but he expects his toys cost next to nothing. And these
people collect these ancient battered toys, and they they refuse to
learn how to repair it themselves instead of watching TV at night.

They sure won't work for ANYONE, even including me at the rate which
they want me to work for them.

Some like to bring bottles of wine, very nice, but that doesn't pay the
phone or electricity bill.

None bring their missus who is maybe a good root.

But I would be too polite to touch her after she's spent years with an
"audio obsessive".

I wish you luck, and hope you enjoy spending years learning enough to
FIX THE CRAP YOUR BOUGHT YOURSELF.

Jovially, Good Luck!

Patrick Turner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-McIntosh...1%7C240%3A1318

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Engineer wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Get something new and solid state. They sound vastly better. Tubes are
only for those who like their subtle added distortions and non-linear
load dependent frquency response. They are NOT 'more accurate' by a
country mile compared to modern well-designed solid state.

I agree, but tubes glow and look nice in the dark! You can design
'em, build 'em, collect 'em, refurbish 'em, fix 'em, roll tubes in and
out of 'em, swap OPT's, fiddle with square waves, tweak O/P power,
bass & highs, and have all sorts of vintage fun... even listen to
music on 'em now and again! "Keep the old 'uns playing". But for high
quality classical music listening I use a decent solid state pre-amp
and a 300 watt solid state stereo amplifier with linear FET O/Ps.

I've designed a few amps using those Hitachi lateral Mosfets. They can
really deliver. One of them I had down to 0.0008% THD @ 1 kHz ! That's
-102dB.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jay wrote:

So should I keep it?

Why do you want one ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jay[_13_] Jay[_13_] is offline

yeah I got it to repare and learn my self.
I best get it gone.

Kthanks.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Jay" wrote in message

Just got a mac 1700 (McIntosh NY) Tube FM solid state
Hybrid amp at a Flee
market for $150. (no warranty)

They seem to be going for $150 to $450 in various places, various
conditions.

I looked at it and it had all glowing tubes and I thought
YEAH! SCORE!!! Turns out its not working very well!
it sounds horrid and muffled and farty with a constant
scratchy sound.

Clean the controls with a good grade of contact cleaner?

Hmm, I dont know if I should toss $75 into the tubes or
give up.

Since it has a 45 wpc SS power amp, you might be able to use your brain and
home in the affected area, without replacing every tube.

For example, does it have tape outs?

Hook the tape outs up to another amp, and see if the SQ problem is on one
side or the other of the tape monitor switch.

According to this Mac web site, the tubes are all in the tuner section. If
it sounds bad via the phono or aux inputs, then the problem is in the
amp/preamp section which is all SS.

http://mcintoshlaboratory.tripod.com/rec/1700.htm

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

The OP has the IQ of a rutabaga, obviously.

if he doesn't, when he learns basic electronics and can even ask the
right questions, he might be worth helping.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.tubes/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Audio Audio Tubes Just got a ...
My Preferences
Email to a friend

Bookmark Post
Log Out
Latest [ Topics | Posts ] Archive Post A New Topic Post a Reply
Topic Post Post 12 of 23 Topic 9400 of 9403
Post Topic
Just got a DEAD Mcintosh, Dangit!!
by Jay Nov 14, 2008 at 03:48 AM

yeah I can tell Eeyore is a goob...
Every news group has one, self appointed king of his own trolllandia.

I think I'm going to demand my money back and find another broken tube
amp to rebuild and repair.
Thanks, to bad I had seen the amp and all the tubes and tube baskets
and grills and was in tube heaven for about 2 hours. "

The 1700 is all solid state but for the RF section.

On the very off chance you are actually simply a person of reasonable
intelligence who doesn't communicate very well, rather than an actual
imbecile (a scientific term, at one time, for someone of perhaps 80-85
IQ), I suggest you find copies of Alfred P. Morgan's "Boys Book (s)of
Radio and Electronics" and build the simple projects therein, rather than
**** up any actual vintage equipment that is actually desireable.

The NYC Library has copies of the Second, Third and Fourth Books of that
series according to WorldCat.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.tubes/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"BretLudwig" wrote in message
lkaboutaudio.com

The OP has the IQ of a rutabaga, obviously.

I don't know about that - compared to the Middiot or any of his crew, he's
an electronics genius.

And he should get points for being willing to take an adventure. But he's
well shy of what it takes to play "Flip this McIntosh Amp" and make a quick
profit.

if he doesn't, when he learns basic electronics and can
even ask the right questions, he might be worth helping.

Just trying to give him a helping hand.

The post was educational for me - I discovered that non-tube amp Macs don't
have a lot of value. This model at $150 may look like a deal to someone who
does not understand the market, but it isn't.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] suckerton2@gmx.us is offline

On Nov 16, 7:02 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"BretLudwig" wrote in message

lkaboutaudio.com

The OP has the IQ of a rutabaga, obviously.

I don't know about that - compared to the Middiot or any of his crew, he's
an electronics genius.

And he should get points for being willing to take an adventure. But he's
well shy of what it takes to play "Flip this McIntosh Amp" and make a quick
profit.

if he doesn't, when he learns basic electronics and can
even ask the right questions, he might be worth helping.

Just trying to give him a helping hand.

The post was educational for me - I discovered that non-tube amp Macs don't
have a lot of value. This model at $150 may look like a deal to someone who
does not understand the market, but it isn't.

A clean MAC 1700 is worth $300 to $400 especially if it has the wood
cab, which many do. It is a receiver with a decent FM section and a
simple no frills power amp section (no Power Guard or autoformers).
With a modest turntable it makes a decent second system. Except for
the switches and RF parts (the IF cans) everything is easily available
to keep them going. Most only need a recap, the replacement of a
couple of resistors in the power section, and a good cleaning to
perform well.

Solid state McIntosh amplifiers DO have value if they are the large
ones with meters, glass front panels and so forth. The early tube
chassis based ones do not, particularly.

The most valuable Macs of any vintage are obviously the tube
amplifiers. The MC275 is both the most common and the most valuable of
those commonly found. A pair of MC3500s with consecutive numbers is
probably the top find.

RAO is dead MINe 109 Audio Opinions 1 July 21st 06 07:52 PM
Is the MAC dead? WillStG Pro Audio 60 October 25th 04 11:30 PM
Is Locksmithing as dead as Linux? Or is it as dead as recording studios? Aegis Pro Audio 3 May 30th 04 02:22 AM
Is Locksmithing as dead as Linux? Or is it as dead as recording studios? Aegis Pro Audio 0 May 30th 04 02:18 AM
Is Locksmithing as dead as Linux? Or is it as dead as recording studios? Aegis Pro Audio 0 May 30th 04 02:18 AM