Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] egirland@gmail.com is offline

Default Mystery tube amplifier - SOUND Electronic, model TWO FIFTEEN

Hello guys!
Could anybody out there help me in finding more information about this
tube amplifier?
See it at: http://xoomer.alice.it/egirland/tubeamp/tubeamp.html.

It reached my lab few weeks ago and I have not been able to find
anything about it.
I am looking for the schematic and/or manuals or brochures.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Oct 6, 7:35*am, wrote:
Hello guys!
Could anybody out there help me in finding more information about this
tube amplifier?
See it at: *http://xoomer.alice.it/egirland/tubeamp/tubeamp.html.

It reached my lab few weeks ago and I have not been able to find
anything about it.
I am looking for the schematic and/or manuals or brochures.

S.W.A.G. that it was made by Lafayette for any of their several house-
brand customers. If only because all the visibly branded tubes are
Lafayette - and that they were heavily into this end of the market
back in the day.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Peter Wieck wrote:

On Oct 6, 7:35*am, wrote:
Hello guys!
Could anybody out there help me in finding more information about this
tube amplifier?
See it at: *http://xoomer.alice.it/egirland/tubeamp/tubeamp.html.

It reached my lab few weeks ago and I have not been able to find
anything about it.
I am looking for the schematic and/or manuals or brochures.

S.W.A.G. that it was made by Lafayette for any of their several house-
brand customers. If only because all the visibly branded tubes are
Lafayette - and that they were heavily into this end of the market
back in the day.

Looks like it was built in the Far East, did Lafayette have factories there?
For that matter did Lafayette have factories anywhere, or did they contract with
others to build their stuff?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article
,
at wrote on 10/6/08 7:35 AM:

Hello guys!
Could anybody out there help me in finding more information about this
tube amplifier?
See it at:
http://xoomer.alice.it/egirland/tubeamp/tubeamp.html.

It reached my lab few weeks ago and I have not been able to find
anything about it.
I am looking for the schematic and/or manuals or brochures.

My guess is that the OEM was Kenwood or Pioneer.

Often with Lafayette gear, just the name plate & other cosmetic items were
changed, and a schematic of one of the OEMs own brand amps applies.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 6, 9:14*am, Jon Yaeger wrote:

My guess is that the OEM was Kenwood or Pioneer.

Often with Lafayette gear, just the name plate & other cosmetic items were
changed, and a schematic of one of the OEMs own brand amps applies.

Possibly. Probably. Lafayette did a great deal of house-brand stuff
using various OEMs all over the world later on in its history. For a
brief while, for instance, one could get both KLH and/or AR-made
drivers in speakers with Lafayette (Knight for their kits) tags on
them - in other words, speakers unique to Lafayette, not just
rebranded. Lafayette made a great many kits as well:

http://www.virhistory.com/hi-fi/kits-misc.htm

Some of which were actually made in the USA. That the unit-in-question
has some Japanese tubes and main filter capacitors does not make it
necessarily entirely of off-shore origin. Too bad the control maker
name was not clearly visible.

So, I would suggest starting to look under the Lafayette banner for a
EL-84-based integrated amp of about mid 1960s to early 1970s vintage.
Given the amount of imitation at the time, it will be very close in
design to the similar Dynaco SCA-35 for a very broad estimate-of-era.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
flipper wrote:

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 07:57:01 -0500, John Byrns
wrote:

In article
,
Peter Wieck wrote:

On Oct 6, 7:35*am, wrote:
Hello guys!
Could anybody out there help me in finding more information about this
tube amplifier?
See it at: *http://xoomer.alice.it/egirland/tubeamp/tubeamp.html.

It reached my lab few weeks ago and I have not been able to find
anything about it.
I am looking for the schematic and/or manuals or brochures.

S.W.A.G. that it was made by Lafayette for any of their several house-
brand customers. If only because all the visibly branded tubes are
Lafayette - and that they were heavily into this end of the market
back in the day.

Looks like it was built in the Far East, did Lafayette have factories there?

For that matter did Lafayette have factories anywhere, or did they contract
with
others to build their stuff?

What about it looks like it was made in the far east?

Take a look at a similar amplifier that is known to have been made is the US
from mostly US sourced parts, and another similar amplifier known to have been
manufactured in the Far East of parts mostly sourced in the Far East, and it
should be obvious why it looks like it was manufactured in the Far East.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Peter Wieck wrote:

On Oct 6, 9:14*am, Jon Yaeger wrote:

My guess is that the OEM was Kenwood or Pioneer.

Often with Lafayette gear, just the name plate & other cosmetic items were
changed, and a schematic of one of the OEMs own brand amps applies.

Possibly. Probably. Lafayette did a great deal of house-brand stuff
using various OEMs all over the world later on in its history. For a
brief while, for instance, one could get both KLH and/or AR-made
drivers in speakers with Lafayette (Knight for their kits) tags on
them - in other words, speakers unique to Lafayette, not just
rebranded.

I'm not at all familiar with Lafayette's products, but I seriously doubt they
used the "Knight" name for their kits, as the Knight name was used by Allied
Radio for both their Factory made equipment, and their kits as well. I doubt
Allied would have allowed Lafayette to appropriate the Knight name without a
fight, but then it was a kinder and gentler era so I suppose anything is
possible.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , flipper at
wrote on 10/6/08 8:33 PM:

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 19:06:47 -0500, John Byrns

flipper wrote:

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 07:57:01 -0500, John Byrns
wrote:

In article
,
Peter Wieck wrote:

On Oct 6, 7:35*am, wrote:
[...]

I was simply asking but telling me to go look for what I don't know to
look for doesn't help.

1. The curiously rounded bell on the power transformer;
2. The Nichicon caps with their anodized clamps;
3. The stud rivets for the tube sockets;
4. The selection of fastening hardware used;
5. The 100% Japanese brand tubes;
6. The style of tube guard used on the rectifier;
7. The style of A/C power jack;
8. The style of RCA type phono jacks

Now you fly-**** / pepper separators can have yourselves a field day, but
that's what I see.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"flipper"

What about it looks like it was made in the far east?

** Practically everything looks like it came from Japan.

Eg - see the Hitachi logo on the 6BQ5s.

http://www.engadgethd.com/images/200...tachi_logo.jpg

The pots are distinctly Jap too.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , flipper at
wrote on 10/6/08 9:22 PM:

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 20:49:50 -0400, Jon Yaeger
wrote:

in article
, flipper at

flipper wrote:

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 07:57:01 -0500, John Byrns
wrote:

In article
,
Peter Wieck wrote:

On Oct 6, 7:35*am, wrote:
[...]

Thanks.

Were Lafayette tubes far east?

**** I don't know if all of them were, but certainly a lot are.

Now you fly-**** / pepper separators can have yourselves a field day, but
that's what I see.

Jon

Won't be from me. I was just curious.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 6, 11:11*pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:

Were Lafayette tubes far east?

**** * I don't know if all of them were, but certainly a lot are.

Early on, Lafayette used RCA tubes in RCA boxes.
Mid-way, they rebranded tubes from various sources, mostly RCA or
Sylvania, comingled with branded tubes in branded boxes.
Late in the game (mid-60s forward), they were mostly off-shore with
small-signal and output tubes from Japan and rectifier tubes from all
over, including Japan, US and Europe, but all re-branded.

I expect that when they went to off-shore manufacturing, they also
sourced tubes local to that manufacturing wherever possible.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 7 Ott, 14:35, Peter Wieck wrote:
On Oct 6, 11:11*pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:

Were Lafayette tubes far east?

**** * I don't know if all of them were, but certainly a lot are.

Early on, Lafayette used RCA tubes in RCA boxes.
Mid-way, they rebranded tubes from various sources, mostly RCA or
Sylvania, comingled with branded tubes in branded boxes.
Late in the game (mid-60s forward), they were mostly off-shore with
small-signal and output tubes from Japan and rectifier tubes from all
over, including Japan, US and Europe, but all re-branded.

I expect that when they went to off-shore manufacturing, they also
sourced tubes local to that manufacturing wherever possible.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

ok! Thank you very much to all of you for the great discussion.
Can anybody address me to any source for the schematic diagram and or
brochures?
Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 9, 11:56*am, wrote:

ok! Thank you very much to all of you for the great discussion.
Can anybody address me to any source for the schematic diagram and or
brochures?

You might try here for a start:

http://www.agtannenbaum.com/l_cat.html#lafayette

if there is a model number somewhere on the chassis - even inside,
maybe. And you might try contacting the Tannenbaums directly. The son
runs it now for the most part, but they are very responsive. Give them
what you know, that you suspect it is a house-brand made by/for/
through Lafayette and they might just be able to find what you need.

Or, look up a very similar amp (such as the Dynaco SCA-35 which is
commonly available - but there are several) and draw in the
differences using it as a base-line. House-brands are poorly supported
in the aftermarket in general, so often one has to resort to heroic
measures to get this sort of information.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Dave Curtis[_2_] Dave Curtis[_2_] is offline

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 12:37:29 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"flipper"

What about it looks like it was made in the far east?

** Practically everything looks like it came from Japan.

Eg - see the Hitachi logo on the 6BQ5s.

http://www.engadgethd.com/images/200...tachi_logo.jpg

The pots are distinctly Jap too.

Yes, Alpha, by the looks. Mid '60s I'd guess.

-DC
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"John Byrns" wrote in message

In article
,
Peter Wieck wrote:

On Oct 6, 7:35 am, wrote:
Hello guys!
Could anybody out there help me in finding more
information about this tube amplifier?
See it at:
http://xoomer.alice.it/egirland/tubeamp/tubeamp.html.

It reached my lab few weeks ago and I have not been
able to find anything about it.
I am looking for the schematic and/or manuals or
brochures.

S.W.A.G. that it was made by Lafayette for any of their
several house- brand customers.

Lafayette had no factories.

If only because all the
visibly branded tubes are Lafayette - and that they were
heavily into this end of the market back in the day.

If you mean low-priced, yes. Looks like a Lafayette LA215.

Looks like it was built in the Far East, did Lafayette
have factories there?

In the far east, they contracted first to Panasonic and then to Kenwood.
Later on they used a number of smaller suppliers.

For that matter did Lafayette have
factories anywhere, or did they contract with others to
build their stuff?

AFAIK, they contracted out *everything*, first to factories on Long Island,
then to Panasonic and Kenwood, then to just about anybody they could find
who would do the work for a price.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message

On Oct 6, 9:14 am, Jon Yaeger
wrote:

My guess is that the OEM was Kenwood or Pioneer.

Often with Lafayette gear, just the name plate & other
cosmetic items were changed, and a schematic of one of
the OEMs own brand amps applies.

Possibly. Probably. Lafayette did a great deal of
house-brand stuff using various OEMs all over the world
later on in its history.

Agreed

For a brief while, for instance,
one could get both KLH and/or AR-made drivers in speakers
with Lafayette (Knight for their kits)

Knight Kit was a trademark of Lafayette's arch-enemy Allied Radio.

I worked for a Lafayette store over the years, 1960 - 1966.

Never saw any KLH or AR drivers in any speaker they sold during that time.
The general trend was from US to Japanese products over that time. They were
early importers of Japanese equipment. For example, they imported Kenwood
equipment under their brand before Kenwood had any distribution of their own
in the US.

tags on them - in
other words, speakers unique to Lafayette, not just
rebranded.

Lafayette made a great many kits as well

Yes, some earlier ones made in the US, some later ones made in Japan.