Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

Default Sonic advantages of beefing up the power supply

I was just listening to my STAX electrostatic headphones plugged into
the matching STAX transistor amp. The amplification devices are
standard, if only because my guarantee will go bye-bye if I alter
them. But I've upgraded the wallwart by a factor of ten, to 3A, and
the difference is very noticeable in a firmer sound and deeper bass. I
imagine that one can go too far in this direction., too.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] suckerton2@gmx.us is offline

On Sep 19, 2:52 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
I was just listening to my STAX electrostatic headphones plugged into
the matching STAX transistor amp. The amplification devices are
standard, if only because my guarantee will go bye-bye if I alter
them. But I've upgraded the wallwart by a factor of ten, to 3A, and
the difference is very noticeable in a firmer sound and deeper bass. I
imagine that one can go too far in this direction., too.

Simply build a whole new amp and theyèll never know. A very superb
one was published roughly 20 years ago in Glass Audio.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

On Sep 19, 2:52 pm, Andre Jute wrote:

if only because my guarantee will go bye-bye if I alter
them.

Hi RATs!

I have had many guarantees voided.

They do not affect how anything sounds.

Relax.

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Sep 21, 6:43*am, wrote:
On Sep 19, 2:52 pm, Andre Jute wrote:

I was just listening to my STAX electrostatic headphones plugged into
the matching STAX transistor amp. The amplification devices are
standard, if only because my guarantee will go bye-bye if I alter
them. But I've upgraded the wallwart by a factor of ten, to 3A, and
the difference is very noticeable in a firmer sound and deeper bass. I
imagine that one can go too far in this direction., too.

*Simply build a whole new amp and theyèll never know. A very superb
one was published roughly 20 years ago in Glass Audio.

Glass or sand? I've already designed a good little tube amp, my Type
213 "Bellybutton", to drive STAX +-300V fully differential with 6SL7
and 6SN7. Quite a few guys on RAT sent in super suggestions when I
canvassed them offlist. But my final proto is in Japan and the guy's
wife says, every time I call, that he's in his room listening to it
and can't be disturbed. Next time I won't make the mistake of sending
my own test CDs; people get bored of their own music sooner. When it
eventually returns maybe I'll lose interest in the transistor OEM amp;
shame because, except for the supplied power supply being a wee bit
mingy, it is a perfectly good amp. I dunno that it is worth the time
and effort to make a better tranny amp (if I even can -- at this kind
of resolution, tiny track lengths must be a major factor in making a
truly silent amp) if I'm anyway going to retire it the moment I have
my "little" (it ain't!) tube amp back. But the gubbins of the better
power supply belongs to a transmitting tube amp and must go back in
it.

Winter's coming and sallow soldernoses are sniffing the air for the
last time before diving in to backed-up repairs and new projects...
Autumn is definitely my favourite time of the year. Off for a ride on
my bike.

Omnia vincit nexus.

Cyber Nexus (1)
Pontiff
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html

(1) The cyclist who before his elevation was known as Andre Jute

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article
, Andre
Jute at
wrote on 9/21/08 9:54 AM:

On Sep 21, 6:43*am, wrote:
[...]

In my experience and opinion, "beefing up" a power supply has diminishing
returns.

For example, I had an Eico ST-70 rebuild that suffered from anemic bass and
transient distortion. Adding about 40 MFD to the power supply "fixed" it
and tightened up the bass response.

OTOH, I installed Jim McShane's recommended power supply upgrade for the
Citation II, which involved increasing the total power supply capacitance by
a factor of X. Oh yeah, the amp had great bass response, but the high end
was lifeless and drab. It is as if all of that capacitance robbed it of
vitality. I thought the sound sucked, period.

Again -- my opinion -- the amount of capacitance for a given amplifier
should be sufficient to provide the extra joules during dynamic peaks or
bass events, and no more. More capacitance is not necessarily better.

Choosing the "right" amount of filter capacitance is like a finding a
balance point of a tuned instrument.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article
, Andre
Jute at
wrote on 9/21/08 9:54 AM:

On Sep 21, 6:43 am, wrote:
[...]

If a power supply can supply the peak required current at good
regulation, there is nothing to be gained by by going any further. But
then, there is nothing to be lost either other than the waste of money.

Keith
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Sep 21, 8:42*pm, Keithr wrote:

If a power supply can supply the peak required current at good
regulation, there is nothing to be gained by by going any further. But
then, there is nothing to be lost either other than the waste of money.

That would be the point.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Sep 22, 10:35*am, Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article
, Peter
Wieck at wrote on 9/22/08 10:23 AM:

On Sep 21, 8:42*pm, Keithr wrote:

If a power supply can supply the peak required current at good
regulation, there is nothing to be gained by by going any further. But
then, there is nothing to be lost either other than the waste of money..

That would be the point.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

That's where Keith & I disagree.

In my experience overkill in the power supply has a detrimental effect on
the sound.

Jon:

I think it is a matter of semantics. Extra capacitance vs. a power-
supply that will not sag at full-demand are different things. I can
run a radio on a 12V Lead-Acid car battery capable of making 400A if
needed, or on eight D-size batteries capable of a few amps. The actual
radio will not care as its actual demand is far less than either can
provide.

Putting a 1000-gallon pressure reservoir on a 0.5 gallon-per-hour pump
with a 0.49999 gph demand does become rather silly - But a 1gph pump
would need no special reservoir and be well able to respond to brief
higher demands. And the reservoir would be required only to 'even out'
the pumping action if that was required. Or even a 5 gph pump.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , flipper at
wrote on 9/22/08 11:09 AM:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:35:58 -0400, Jon Yaeger
wrote:

in article
, Peter
Wieck at
wrote on 9/22/08 10:23 AM:

On Sep 21, 8:42*pm, Keithr wrote:

If a power supply can supply the peak required current at good
regulation, there is nothing to be gained by by going any further. But
then, there is nothing to be lost either other than the waste of money.

That would be the point.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

That's where Keith & I disagree.

In my experience overkill in the power supply has a detrimental effect on
the sound.

Well, I hear you say it but I'd like to hear some kind of theory as to
why you'd think a stable voltage could possibly 'harm' the sound.

Let the flames begin.

Peter is right . . . we have to make sure that we are talking about the same
thing.

A stable power supply is good. Nothing but distortion or compression can
result if a supply is overtaxed = bad sound.

In my experience, just adding capacitance for its own sake seems to harm the
sound and suck the life out of it - particularly at the mid and high end.
Granted, lots of capacitance can stiffen up the bass.

I don't know if this "apparent" phenomenon can be measured or has any
empirical basis.

I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that an amplifier's
power supply and output signal ought to be seen a parts of a tuned
instrument as opposed to two separate and isolated components.

Perhaps someone who agrees with the observation can offer a better
explanation. Sorry that mine falls short.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Jon Yaeger wrote:

Let the flames begin.

Peter is right . . . we have to make sure that we are talking about the same
thing.

A stable power supply is good. Nothing but distortion or compression can
result if a supply is overtaxed = bad sound.

The question is, what are we really talking about when we say "bad sound", or
good sound? As you said we need to be sure we are talking about the same thing.
Many people perceive the effects of distortion and compression as an improvement
of the sound.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article
, Peter
Wieck at
wrote on 9/22/08 10:23 AM:

On Sep 21, 8:42 pm, Keithr wrote:

If a power supply can supply the peak required current at good
regulation, there is nothing to be gained by by going any further. But
then, there is nothing to be lost either other than the waste of money.

That would be the point.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

That's where Keith & I disagree.

In my experience overkill in the power supply has a detrimental effect on
the sound.

I'd like to see some scientific results to back up the assertion.

As a general principle in electronic engineering, the ideal power supply
is viewed as a voltage source with zero series impedance, I.E. capapable
of providing any amount of current with no modulation of the voltage.
This is, of course, impossible, so the goal is to provide whatever
current the load requires without significant voltage droop.

The power supply cannot supply more current than the load is demanding
no matter what it's actual capacity is so I find it difficult to
understand how a supply with excess capacity can make an amplifier sound
worse. Unless, that is, the amplifier itself has some shortcomming that
only becomes evident when it can draw more current. It is, of course,
also possible that with better supply regulation, and amplifier will
sound "Different" and that may be viewed as worse by a listener used to
the previous sound.

Keith
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article , flipper at
wrote on 9/22/08 11:09 AM:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:35:58 -0400, Jon Yaeger
wrote:

in article
, Peter
Wieck at
wrote on 9/22/08 10:23 AM:

On Sep 21, 8:42 pm, Keithr wrote:

[...]

Some large capacitors can have a significant amount of inductance and
resistance that appears in series with their capacitance. This may cause
some distortion of the frequency response by boosting the bass more than
the upper frequencies. I wouldnt expect the effect to be very great but
it can be obviated by using some smaller value capacitors in parallel to
the main reservoir ones. This is often done in wideband devices for
noise reasons, the big capacitors have too much series impedance at high
frequencies to effectively remove the noise from the supply rail. Never
heard of it at audio frequencies though.

I don't know if this "apparent" phenomenon can be measured or has any
empirical basis.

I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that an amplifier's
power supply and output signal ought to be seen a parts of a tuned
instrument as opposed to two separate and isolated components.

No, the power supply should just appear to the amp as a current source
with constant voltage. There are odd exceptions, but they certainly
wouldn't apply to tube amps.

Perhaps someone who agrees with the observation can offer a better
explanation. Sorry that mine falls short.

Jon

Keith
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Sep 22, 4:41*pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article , John
Byrns at wrote on 9/22/08 3:48 PM:

In article ,
*Jon Yaeger wrote:

Let the flames begin.

Peter is right . . . we have to make sure that we are talking about the same
thing.

A stable power supply is good. *Nothing but distortion or compression can
result if a supply is overtaxed = bad sound.

The question is, what are we really talking about when we say "bad sound", or
good sound? *As you said we need to be sure we are talking about the same
thing. *
Many people perceive the effects of distortion and compression as an
improvement
of the sound.

John,

Maybe I can make it easier for you:

BAD SOUND #1 = sound that sounds bad to me;

BAD SOUND #2 = a sound signal that deviates from the original or source..
Possibly pleasing to some people.- Hide quoted text -

Jon:

Why do you bite at all? Byrns is trolling again - nothing either
interesting or useful to offer - just controversy.

Occam's principle of the excluded middle applies. Either audio
equipment is an 'instrument' or it is not. If it *is* an instrument,
then the original recording is no more than a suggestion of what the
actual sound output should be - and so all sorts of alterations are
both permissable and desired. If it is meant to be as close to a
faithful reproducer of the input signal, then any alteration of that
signal is a failure of its specific task. Can't have it both ways and
no use trolling for that position either.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

*Jon Yaeger wrote:

[...]

I'm fully aware that John was setting up some traps. I wanted to dance
around them without springing the mechanism. We'll see where he goes from
there . . .

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , Keithr at
wrote on 9/22/08 8:02 PM:

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article
, flipper at
wrote on 9/22/08 11:09 AM:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:35:58 -0400, Jon Yaeger
wrote:

in article
, Peter
Wieck at
wrote on 9/22/08 10:23 AM:

On Sep 21, 8:42 pm, Keithr wrote:

[...]

I am aware of the science behind your points, which are well taken.

What puzzles me is what I've "discovered" through experience doesn't seem to
jive the scientific model as I understand it. I can't explain it, but I
think I can hear it!

Beefing up the Citation II with big caps had a detrimental effect to MY
ears. I didn't like the results - that's all I "know" about the effect of
pumping up the capacitance for that particular amp.

In a comparable example, we can have an amplifier with immeasurable THD, IM,
& TIM, that really sounds a lot worse than an amplifier with mediocre
distortion specifications. Why is this so? Science should tell us that our
ears are lying when we compare the two pieces. At the end of the day,
perhaps there is no empirical basis for taste, or perhaps we just haven't
discovered factor X that makes one sound better than another . . .

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Sep 22, 8:48*pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article ,

The question is, what are we really talking about when we say "bad sound", or
good sound?

This is really simple. It is that sound recognized as good by ears
trained by years of concert-going. Messrs Briggs and Walker and Leak
and suchlike were habitues of the London concert halls, and made music
at home too. Mr Briggs was a distinguished pianist. Mr Walker wasn't
just talking when he defined good sound as "the window on the concert
hall"; everyone knew what he was talking about.

Of course, you might argue that St Augustine wrote a millennium or so
ago about the "just price", and that a millennium or so later everyone
is still wondering what he meant by his final answer at the end of a
thick book: "God knows."

However, in the sense of too much capacitance, we do have some
parameters. First of all, there are tradtional rules of thumb, usually
aiming to reduce ripple per stage by 30dB, which, with doubled or
trebled LC stages and maybe a bit of beefing up, have led some of us
to the still modest pi-filters generally seen in polyprop-capped ZNFB
amps. Then there are our experiences elsewhere in the amp, where
capacitors can easily be heard by those with very high resolution
audio chains including electrostatic speakers or horns. We know from
tuning ("voicing" to the pretentious) amps that doubling or trebling
the cathode capacitor changes the quality of the sound perceptibly,
indeed in the case of horns, which become unloaded near Fs, can ruin
the sound altogether and possibly even damage the driver. Since every
component is in the signal path in an amp, the size and quality of the
power supply caps matter, if not quite so blatantly as caps in the
cathodes of drivers and even power tubes.

Eveyone with experience of small SE amps, by far the most sensitive to
power supply changes, at one stage or another overcapped a modest
little amp, and gave it a nasty, pompous sound beyond its place on the
food chain, with booming one-note bass and a fat, lingering treble,
rubato where it isn't wanted. That is why I am so unhappy every time
some techie (and Patrick does this too but more politely) tries to
make me scale my amps to reach 1Hz. It is not only unnecessary, for a
faithful amp it is very often counterproductive, and for amps destined
for horns or electrostats or virtually any point source, it is
positively harmful. All that current is also a source of noise that
then requires NFB to kill, which brings with it a lot of other, even
nastier problems. But by then you don't have an amp any more, you have
a sort of rolling bodge that your try to talk good with catchphrases
like "good amps aren't conceived, they're developed". And it all
started with overcapping the power supply because the gang on the
street corner thought it a good idea.

In the end it comes down to Al's short answer: trust only your ears!

Notice that chokes aren't included in my strictures. Mo' iron is good
iron! A smart designer uses as many chokes as he can afford and, these
days, even get. Two or three stages with high-Henry chokes will allow
you to use the right, low micofarad film caps in the power supply.
It's a better place to spend your money than on boutique coupling caps
of doubtful veracity.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article , John
Byrns at
wrote on 9/22/08 3:48 PM:

In article ,
Jon Yaeger wrote:

Let the flames begin.

Peter is right . . . we have to make sure that we are talking about the
same
thing.

A stable power supply is good. Nothing but distortion or compression can
result if a supply is overtaxed = bad sound.

The question is, what are we really talking about when we say "bad sound",
or good sound? As you said we need to be sure we are talking about the
same thing. Many people perceive the effects of distortion and
compression as an improvement of the sound.

John,

Maybe I can make it easier for you:

BAD SOUND #1 = sound that sounds bad to me;

BAD SOUND #2 = a sound signal that deviates from the original or source.
Possibly pleasing to some people.

To which I would add:

BAD SOUND #3 = sound that sounds bad to me.

But what we were trying to do was make sure we are talking about the same thing.
When you said, "In my experience, just adding capacitance for its own sake seems
to harm the sound and suck the life out of it - particularly at the mid and high
end. Granted, lots of capacitance can stiffen up the bass." which criteria were
you judging by, BAD SOUND #1 or BAD SOUND #2?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at,
http://fmamradios.com/
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article , Keithr at
wrote on 9/22/08 8:02 PM:

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article
, flipper at
wrote on 9/22/08 11:09 AM:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:35:58 -0400, Jon Yaeger
wrote:

in article
, Peter
Wieck at
wrote on 9/22/08 10:23 AM:

On Sep 21, 8:42 pm, Keithr wrote:

[...]

Has anybody else experienced this?

Beefing up the Citation II with big caps had a detrimental effect to MY
ears. I didn't like the results - that's all I "know" about the effect of
pumping up the capacitance for that particular amp.

The only physical reasons that I can think of are either you added
crappy caps or the amp has some weird effect where it doesn't like a low
impedance power supply.

In a comparable example, we can have an amplifier with immeasurable THD, IM,
& TIM, that really sounds a lot worse than an amplifier with mediocre
distortion specifications. Why is this so? Science should tell us that our
ears are lying when we compare the two pieces. At the end of the day,
perhaps there is no empirical basis for taste, or perhaps we just haven't
discovered factor X that makes one sound better than another . . .

Jon

It probably all comes down to perception what we think that we'd like to
hear. Not very scientific, but it keeps the suppliers going. Personally,
I think that some 50s and early 60s pop music sounds best through a 2"
speaker attached to a Japanese 6 transistor radio with half flat
batteries tuned to a distant AM station, but thats just the way that I
first heard the stuff.

Keith

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

As has been well covered in many publications, increasing capacitance in
capacitor filter power supplies beyond a reasonable point causes
transformer overheating, terrible power factor and the generation of short
duration pulses of high current and unwanted EMI. Eventually the
transformer takes a ****.

In pure Class A circuits power supply impedance is not especially
critical. People like Bob Fulton, a known schizophrenic, and the idiot
vacuum cleaner salesmen who worship him have promulagated the goofy idea
otherwise.

A moderately high level of reserve energy in a well damped circuit is
always best. Use the proper parts properly. That includes a well separated
power supply and a RFC and RF bypassing when possible.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.tubes/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , John
Byrns at
wrote on 9/22/08 11:53 PM:

In article ,
Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article
, John
Byrns at

#1, because I didn't do anything empirical to test to see if the output
signal deviated from the input in more than amplitude . . .

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

Listen up, fellers:

On Sep 23, 6:40 am, "BretLudwig" wrote:

In pure Class A circuits power supply impedance is not especially
critical.

This is absolutely the most relevant and smartest thing said so far in
this thread, and by far the smartest thing I ever heard Bret Ludwig
say. And his conclusion is spot on:

A moderately high level of reserve energy in a well damped circuit is
always best. Use the proper parts properly. That includes a well separated
power supply and a RFC and RF bypassing when possible

Exactly what I've been saying for years.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Here's Bret's full text:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article , John
Byrns at
wrote on 9/22/08 11:53 PM:

In article ,
Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article
, John
Byrns at

#1, because I didn't do anything empirical to test to see if the output
signal deviated from the input in more than amplitude . . .

OK, thanks, it sounds like the bottom line is that beefing up the power supply
changes the sound in a way that you don't like. What we don't know is whether
the sound of the beefed up power supply is more accurate and you prefer the
sound produced by the euphonic distortions of the power supply without the beef,
or if the power supply without the beef has the more accurate sound?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at,
http://fmamradios.com/
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article , Keithr
wrote:

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article , Keithr at
wrote on 9/22/08 8:02 PM:

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article
, flipper at
wrote on 9/22/08 11:09 AM:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:35:58 -0400, Jon Yaeger
wrote:

in article
,
Peter
Wieck at
wrote on 9/22/08 10:23 AM:

On Sep 21, 8:42 pm, Keithr wrote:

[...]

I'm not at all familiar with the Citation II, but doesn't it have a choke in the
power supply? If it has a choke as I seem to remember, changing the amount of
capacitance would change the resonant frequency of the power supply, and if the
capacitance is increased the resonance would become less well damped, all of
which would be expected to impact the sound to some extent.

Better to replace the choke with a suitable small value resistor, and increase
the values of all the capacitors in the filter network, eliminating the
resonance and lowering the impedance of the supply.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at,
http://fmamradios.com/

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , John
Byrns at
wrote on 9/23/08 5:34 PM:

In article ,
Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article
, John
Byrns at
wrote on 9/22/08 11:53 PM:

In article ,
Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article
, John
Byrns at

#1, because I didn't do anything empirical to test to see if the output
signal deviated from the input in more than amplitude . . .

OK, thanks, it sounds like the bottom line is that beefing up the power supply
changes the sound in a way that you don't like. What we don't know is whether
the sound of the beefed up power supply is more accurate and you prefer the
sound produced by the euphonic distortions of the power supply without the
beef,
or if the power supply without the beef has the more accurate sound?

We don't "know" the answer to your questions with certainty.

I've got an idea . . . why don't you select an amplifier that you are
familiar with, add lots more capacitance (temporarily, of course) and see
for yourself if it makes any perceptible or measurable difference? It's an
easy experiment with some alligator clips, etc.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , John
Byrns at
wrote on 9/23/08 7:43 PM:

In article , Keithr
wrote:

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article , Keithr at

wrote on 9/22/08 8:02 PM:

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article
, flipper at
wrote on 9/22/08 11:09 AM:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:35:58 -0400, Jon Yaeger
wrote:

in article
,
Peter
Wieck at
wrote on 9/22/08 10:23 AM:

On Sep 21, 8:42 pm, Keithr wrote:

[...]

You are correct . . . the citation has a choke in it. It's a doubler
supply, too.

I don't have the amp anymore to try your suggestion. But you may be onto
something . . .

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article , John
Byrns at
wrote on 9/23/08 5:34 PM:

OK, thanks, it sounds like the bottom line is that beefing up the power
supply
changes the sound in a way that you don't like. What we don't know is
whether
the sound of the beefed up power supply is more accurate and you prefer the
sound produced by the euphonic distortions of the power supply without the
beef,
or if the power supply without the beef has the more accurate sound?

We don't "know" the answer to your questions with certainty.

I've got an idea . . . why don't you select an amplifier that you are
familiar with, add lots more capacitance (temporarily, of course) and see
for yourself if it makes any perceptible or measurable difference? It's an
easy experiment with some alligator clips, etc.

I have tried that in the past and have not been able to detect any difference in
the sound except when there is hum due to inadequate capacitance in the original
power supply design. But then it is well known that I am not a "Golden Ear" and
can't hear many of the subtle sonic effects audiophiles are able to detect. As
far as measurements go, my ancient vacuum tube Heathkit test equipment isn't
sensitive enough to resolve issues such as we are talking about here.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at,