Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Default Freed transformers

I bought a couple of DYI amplifiers using Freed KP-10 output transformers
(actually Freed iron throughout). These are the same folks who would the
Citation II iron.

The amps use their PP UL 6LC Williamson circuit.

Anyone have any experience with this model? I'm about to fire them up and
hear myself.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] suckerton2@gmx.us is offline

On Aug 16, 11:12 am, Jon Yaeger wrote:
I bought a couple of DYI amplifiers using Freed KP-10 output transformers
(actually Freed iron throughout). These are the same folks who would the
Citation II iron.

The amps use their PP UL 6LC Williamson circuit.

Anyone have any experience with this model? I'm about to fire them up and
hear myself.

Jon

No but they were considered quite good.

Don't you ever buy anything new? Or are you Yves Montand's
illegitimate kid, trying to make amends?
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Aug 16, 6:25*pm, wrote:
On Aug 16, 11:12 am, Jon Yaeger wrote:

I bought a couple of DYI amplifiers using Freed KP-10 output transformers
(actually Freed iron throughout). *These are the same folks who would the
Citation II iron.

The amps use their PP UL 6LC Williamson circuit.

Anyone have any experience with this model? *I'm about to fire them up and
hear myself.

Jon

*No but they were considered quite good.

*Don't you ever buy anything new? Or are you Yves Montand's
illegitimate kid, trying to make amends?

With respect, why would _anyone_ purchase any "new" production
component? Seriously. I am curious as to what virtues "new" things are
expected to have... . I can see certain instances where technology has
made improvements over time - but when it comes to tube stuff - the
question stands.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Aug 18, 12:53*am, Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article ,
Peter Wieck at wrote on 8/17/08 8:59 PM:

On Aug 16, 6:25*pm, wrote:
[...]

Well, I got the monoblocks up and going and they are really fine sounding..
Based upon the flat frequency response of the spec sheet and what I can
hear, this is good iron indeed . . .

Jon- Hide quoted text -

As I remember, Freed was out of Brooklyn, NY back in the day when New
York City actually had a fair amount of manufacturing going on, not
just corporate headquarters. They had massive military contracts as
well as their civilian and audio work - I see a lot of their
transformers on the surplus market.

And, as Harmon Kardon was just across the East River in western Long
Island, it is no surprise at all that Freed would have been their
suppliers. I believe that Freed is still in the transformer business -
somewhere in New Jersey, but out of the Audio business. Too bad. But
they have been around since the dawn of radio, one of the few
survivors to this day.

Good find, and enjoy!

You must have a large double-wide for all that equipment!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[...]

Yup, since we use the outhouse hook-up in the trailer park, I was able to
convert the bathroom for useful storage. Need to sell some of my gear
though; I'm running short of corn and sugar for the next batch.

Jon

FS: Haufe output transformers (Telefunken V672) + Telefunken power transformers Andy Pro Audio 2 September 26th 06 05:59 PM
EMI and Transformers Kevin Graf Pro Audio 0 April 2nd 04 07:34 PM
EMI and Transformers Kevin Graf Tech 0 April 2nd 04 07:06 PM
FA: Freed-Eisemann Educator AM-FM Tube Radio Stephen Marsh Marketplace 0 December 5th 03 03:38 AM
FT/ Transformers Radio Active Vacuum Tubes 0 September 6th 03 01:22 AM