Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gardner Gardner is offline

Default salvage corrupt mp3

Hello Everybody,
I recently attempted to record a 12 hour DJ set with Sound Forge.
While exporting to mp3 sound forge crashed leaving an mp3 on the
desktop that was 4.7GB in size. The mp3 is not recognized by WMP,
Winamp, VLC, MPlayer, and Audacity thinks it can parse it but it just
infinitely increments the time to complete.

I opened the file up in a hex editor and it has an ID3 tag and
something that looks like a header. Unfortunately I am not familiar
enough with the binary mp3 format or header to determine if everything
looks good.

My hope is that some hardcore audiophile or a talented programmer will
be able to immediately see if there is a major issue:
https://spunts.com/beginning-of-corrupt.mp3

All of the DJs would like copies of the sets and it was a really
wicked party. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Gardner
Posted to rec.audio.pro
No Name

For the most part, it's a PCM (.wav) file.
There is nothing in there that indicates it's
mp3; the ID3 block doesn't make it mp3. At
0x400 you have what sort of looks like the
start of a riff file but it's messed up. The
data is PCM, or could be, so get something like
sox, and a binary file editor, and a few tutorials
on PCM and .wav files, and have at it. You should
be able to hear if the data is also messed up with
just a little bit of work.

What you COULD do is find a PCM player that
plays raw PCM, and just feed it some of the file.
Not many apps will play 4.7 GB files (seems odd
unless you were recording directly to a DVD), so
cut out a few MB and play that. The initial part
of the file will play as noise but if the rest is
good, it will sound normal. From the looks it's
44100 Hz, 16-bit, 2 channel, intel-byte order
(low byte high byte). The start of each sample
is aligned okay if you want to start play at the
beginning.

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
phantasm.40th.com - The finest sound in the world
Posted to rec.audio.pro
www.Queensbridge.us www.Queensbridge.us is offline
Banned

On Jul 6, 7:00*am, Gardner wrote:
[...]

I have had sound file that would not play or xfer on my WIN XP machine
from my Zoom H2.
I then connected to WIN ME, ran CHKDSK and file got corrected.

Maybe I could do this on WIN XP, gotta find the CHKDSK program.

--
See new Amero corrency at
http://Amero.PhotosNYC.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley david gourley is offline

Gardner put forth the notion in...news:ab14227e-01fb-
:

[...]

I use Vegas Pro, and it has a mechanism for recovering a file in case
there's a crash. Does Sound Forge not have that? You didn't say what
version you're running.

If it's there, it's most likely in the designated temp-work location
specified under your setup options or something like that.

david
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David F. Cox David F. Cox is offline

"Gardner" wrote in message
Hello Everybody,
I recently attempted to record a 12 hour DJ set with Sound Forge.
While exporting to mp3 sound forge crashed leaving an mp3 on the
desktop that was 4.7GB in size. The mp3 is not recognized ...

Regards,
Gardner

I am not familiar with Sound Forge.

Sound Forge was recording this session somewhere in some format. If it was a
temporary file it would not have deleted it until shutdown. It did not
shutdown, it crashed. Do you have a massive temporary file somewhere?

If such an event occurs the one thing not to do is to re-open the original
app that just crashed, because it is possible that the first thing it is
going to do is overwrite its old temporary file with a new empty one. This
behaviour varies from program to program. Some of the "better worser" ones
know they fail and are prepared to recover. If you do not know that you have
one of those programs the first thing to do to save vital data is copy and
rename the temporary file.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley[_2_] Ben Bradley[_2_] is offline

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 04:00:46 -0700 (PDT), Gardner
wrote:

Hello Everybody,
I recently attempted to record a 12 hour DJ set with Sound Forge.
While exporting to mp3 sound forge crashed leaving an mp3 on the
desktop that was 4.7GB in size. The mp3 is not recognized by WMP,
Winamp, VLC, MPlayer, and Audacity thinks it can parse it but it just
infinitely increments the time to complete.

I opened the file up in a hex editor and it has an ID3 tag and
something that looks like a header. Unfortunately I am not familiar
enough with the binary mp3 format or header to determine if everything
looks good.

My hope is that some hardcore audiophile or a talented programmer will
be able to immediately see if there is a major issue:
https://spunts.com/beginning-of-corrupt.mp3

All of the DJs would like copies of the sets and it was a really
wicked party. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like a header and then PCM data (about 0.01 seconds worth
of header and 0.02 seconds worth of "audio" - at least it's a
reasonably flat straight line with a little noise in it). As a first
approximation you could copy it (to protect and keep the original) and
rename it to a .wav file and see if you can play that. If not, open it
as "raw PCM", 16-bit stereo 44kHz and see if that is playable. That's
how I opened the file in Cool Edit 2000 (okay, so I've got really old
software).

Regards,
Gardner

Media Salvage Chris F. Pro Audio 24 November 22nd 05 04:23 PM
Magnet Seperation... salvage operation TC General 11 October 15th 05 08:45 PM
Magnet Seperation... salvage operation TC Audio Opinions 11 October 15th 05 08:45 PM
Magnet Seperation... salvage operation TC Tech 11 October 15th 05 08:45 PM
What exactly is "dimension", and how do you salvage it? Freddie Jobson Pro Audio 2 March 1st 04 11:32 PM