Posted to rec.audio.pro
Doc Doc is offline

Default When to use multiband compression/limiting vs EQ?

I've been fooling around with this VST c3-multiband compressor/
limiter. As I understand it, the comp/limiter "squashes" certain
specified frequencies as they become more prevalent, whereas EQ lowers
the prominence of the specified frequency globally.

How would you define when is the correct time to use either/both? And
then how should "regular" non-multiband compression/limiting fit into
the picture?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Doc wrote:
I've been fooling around with this VST c3-multiband compressor/
limiter. As I understand it, the comp/limiter "squashes" certain
specified frequencies as they become more prevalent, whereas EQ lowers
the prominence of the specified frequency globally.

How would you define when is the correct time to use either/both? And
then how should "regular" non-multiband compression/limiting fit into
the picture?

Regular compression is a dynamic control thing, and is not really related
to either eq or narrowband compression in terms how how you use it.

But the way I think about it: if you are trying to fix a problem that is
clearly frequency-domain, and you try and fail to fix it with EQ, it's
time to try the multiband compressor.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Thomas Thiele Thomas Thiele is offline

On 1 Jun., 00:31, Doc wrote:

How would you define when is the correct time to use either/both?

[EQ vs. mulitbandcomp]
In every case you need to adjust a special frequency band but not
constantly over the time
you should think about mbc.
Automated (or manually adjustet) EQ is something in between.

Example: A bass guitar with dumb deeper strings (B and E) and metallic
higher strings.
I normally have to compress the range 2-4kHz when i'm looking for a
metallic bass sound
without disturbing highs and clicks.

To correct inconstant playing you often need multiband compression.
Normal compression
do not correct the different sounds on different dynamic (attack,
punch).

And
then how should "regular" non-multiband compression/limiting fit into
the picture?

For me it is a complete different tool.
I mostly use mulitband compression as a kind of replacement for EQ on
a single track.
In cases EQ wouldn't work good enough.

Only during mastering mulitband comp is a kind of real compression to
limit the dynamic,
hold the mix together. But only there it is more a tool to correct
*sound* not so much
overall *dynamic*.
Dynamic compression is only a good additional side effect then...

BTW. I often use some mulitband comps in chain, because most of the
different plugins
allow only one independend frequency band. Why are there no
singlebandcompressors?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eric Weber Eric Weber is offline

I find multiband compressors usefull for flute and vocal recording....
The dynamics sometimes get exagerated by the use of excessive air on high
notes..... by turning off the lower
bands and adjusting the upper band to the frequency point where the volume
becomes excessive you can bring things back
to a more plesant sounding balance.

Rgds:
Eric