Posted to rec.audio.pro
SMcK SMcK is offline

Default Fixing Noisy PZM?

I actually have multiple noisy PZMs (is that the proper plural for
PZM?)

These are old early '80s Radio Shack models. They used to work fine.
The last couple times I pulled them out they seemed exceedingly noisy
(white noise). Is this a known problem with old PZMs? Is there a
known solution? Replace original capcitors? Help?

TIA,
-Scott
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

SMcK wrote:
I actually have multiple noisy PZMs (is that the proper plural for
PZM?)

These are old early '80s Radio Shack models. They used to work fine.
The last couple times I pulled them out they seemed exceedingly noisy
(white noise). Is this a known problem with old PZMs? Is there a
known solution? Replace original capcitors? Help?

Lots of things can go wrong with them, including the capsules failing.

The first question: have you done the Phil Rastoczy modifications on them?
If not, do it right now. It turns them into usable microphones, and it gets
those crappy transformers out of there.

If you have done the Rastoczny modifications and there is a problem, it's
the capsule. You CAN replace the capsules with a Panasonic omni capsule
although it will tend to exaggerate the rising top octave. It is PROBABLY
possible to take one of the Panasonic capsules and open up the entrance
of the capsule with an X-acto knife to compensate for that but it will be
a cut-and-try thing.

Fixing iLok [email protected] Pro Audio 0 December 10th 06 08:03 PM
Fixing popped P's SRS Pro Audio 18 April 15th 06 12:03 AM
fixing my u 87 Garf Pro Audio 3 March 28th 05 05:09 PM
Noisy Avalon 737SP.... how noisy should it be Martin Quinn Pro Audio 6 June 3rd 04 01:02 AM
Noisy Avalon 737SP.... how noisy should it be Martin Quinn Pro Audio 0 June 2nd 04 05:59 PM