Posted to rec.audio.pro
spud[_9_] spud[_9_] is offline

Default Older PCI DAW - Video card for dual monitors?

Ahoy, I now have an extra LED monitor so there's one 17" and one 15".
I'm using SawPro for a DAW. My older Asus/2.8G Wintel mainboard has
one AGP slot and 2 leftover PCI slots. Can someone recommend a basic,
easily managed way to show a different screen on each monitor? Can I
use a leftover PCI video card for the extra screen or do I buy a two
head AGP card somewhere? I'd rather not upgrade the whole system just
now if I can help it. Thanks as always, s.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"spud" wrote in message
| Ahoy, I now have an extra LED monitor so there's one 17" and one 15".
| I'm using SawPro for a DAW. My older Asus/2.8G Wintel mainboard has
| one AGP slot and 2 leftover PCI slots. Can someone recommend a basic,
| easily managed way to show a different screen on each monitor? Can I
| use a leftover PCI video card for the extra screen or do I buy a two
| head AGP card somewhere? I'd rather not upgrade the whole system just
| now if I can help it. Thanks as always, s.

I'm no expert, but... I have one computer that uses two video cards to feed
two flat-screen monitors. It works very well. (I have another with a dual
monitor card.) Right click on the desk-top and navigate to the choice that
'extends the desktop' across both monitors. Now you can open software and
slide the window(s) wherever you want across the two monitors --- even
straddling them, although that's not very useful. However, for DAW work and
many other tasks being able to have the time-line on one monitor and video
preview on the other is great. You'll never go back.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"spud" wrote in message

Ahoy, I now have an extra LED monitor so there's one 17"
and one 15". I'm using SawPro for a DAW. My older
Asus/2.8G Wintel mainboard has one AGP slot and 2
leftover PCI slots.

First off, which model Asus motherboard?

Secondly, what resolutions do you want to run on those LCDs?

Can someone recommend a basic, easily
managed way to show a different screen on each monitor?

Depends which OS and motherboard.

Can I use a leftover PCI video card for the extra screen

Depends which OS and motherboard. For example, XP is generally more
restrictive in this regard than Win98. For example, some Nvidia chipset
motherboards allow you to use both the onboard video and a video card, while
other chipset motherboards may not.

or do I buy a two head AGP card somewhere?

That is a good solution. For example you can get a Geforce 5200 AGP video
card for less than $50 that will support two monitors very nicely.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
drichard drichard is offline

AGP dual head video cards are common and inexpensive. You can find a
Radeon for roughly $40 that will work quite well.

On May 23, 1:55*am, spud wrote:
Ahoy, I now have an extra LED monitor so there's one 17" and one 15".
I'm using SawPro for a DAW. My older Asus/2.8G Wintel mainboard has
one AGP slot and 2 leftover PCI slots. Can someone recommend a basic,
easily managed way to show a different screen on each monitor? Can I
use a leftover PCI video card for the extra screen or do I buy a two
head AGP card somewhere? I'd rather not upgrade the whole system just
now if I can help it. Thanks as always, s.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Fri, 23 May 2008 15:15:08 -0800, spud wrote:

So does dual head automatically mean you can display separate images
(software permitting) on each screen or do some just show the same
picture on two separate screens? Thank you, s.

Your dual-head card, coupled with its driver and any modern operating
system, will have several display options. The most common choice is
to increase the area of your desktop by stretching it across both
screens. You could also choose a cloned display (I can't see why on a
domestic system, but someone probably has a use for it and will chip
in to tell us about it :-) Or it could be assigned to media playback
when running e.g. a video editor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"spud" wrote in message
| On Fri, 23 May 2008 07:49:25 -0700 (PDT), drichard
| wrote:
|
| AGP dual head video cards are common and inexpensive. You can find a
| Radeon for roughly $40 that will work quite well.
|
| So does dual head automatically mean you can display separate images
| (software permitting) on each screen or do some just show the same
| picture on two separate screens? Thank you, s.

Yes. The two monitors can be configured as one big desk-top. Windows from
one monitor can be dragged to the other or across both monitors if you like.
Programs will remember what position you had them in last, left, right, or
across both.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

AGP dual head video cards are common and inexpensive.
You can find a Radeon for roughly $40 that will work
quite well.

So does dual head automatically mean you can display
separate images (software permitting) on each screen or
do some just show the same picture on two separate
screens?

With a lot dual head video cards, you get your choice. Either you tile or
clone the desktop.

Someone was asking about an application for cloned video outputs. One may
wish to do this when one output is driving a video projector that projects
an image that is some distance away. It can be very inconvenient to operate
the desktop using the distant display, so having it duplicated where you are
can be a big help.

Some motherboards have a dual-head video card built in.

Some motherboards disable the onboard video when you plug a regular video
card in, while others allow you to run both the on-board and the plug-in
video cards concurrently and independently, for a total of 4 video outputs.

Other motherboards have two slots for high performance video cards, and that
gives you 4 video outputs, as well.

It appears that using 4 monitors in tiled mode is a forthcoming trend.

Most motherboards have two PCI slots, so you have the possibility of a total
of 8 video outputs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
spud[_9_] spud[_9_] is offline

Thanks everyone.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mr Soul Mr Soul is offline

Ahoy, I now have an extra LED monitor so there's one 17" and one 15".
I'm using SawPro for a DAW. My older Asus/2.8G Wintel mainboard has
one AGP slot and 2 leftover PCI slots. Can someone recommend a basic,
easily managed way to show a different screen on each monitor? Can I
use a leftover PCI video card for the extra screen or do I buy a two
head AGP card somewhere? I'd rather not upgrade the whole system just
now if I can help it. Thanks as always, s.

If you already have a video card in the AGP slot, you can add a PCI
video card for your 2nd monitor. You don't need to get a new card
that supports 2 monitors (unless you want to).

Mike
http://www.pcDAW.net

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Tue, 27 May 2008 06:40:45 -0700 (PDT), Mr Soul
wrote:

If you already have a video card in the AGP slot, you can add a PCI
video card for your 2nd monitor. You don't need to get a new card
that supports 2 monitors (unless you want to).

But don't be surprised if you get audio glitching when moving the
mouse between your two monitors. Try. PCI video cards are readily
available from the back of cupboards and rubbish skips these days. As
are 21" CRT monitors :-)