Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

Default Low Cost Cardioid Electret mic capsules

I bought some low cost electret mic elements and they are very good
for the cost. But they are omni. I would like to try a Cardioid
electret element.

I have an Cardiod Audio Technica mic that uses an electret element and
I can see as expected that the capsule itself has openings in the
back as well as in the front. The omni elements are all sealed in the
back. So yes, obviously I know that the openings in the back are
needed to create the cardioid pattern. Or another way to look at it
is the additional openings make the mic velocity sensitive instead of
pressure sensitive.

Bit I have not seen velocity sensitive cardioid electret elements for
sale anywhere. The electrets at Digikey etc all appear to be omni.

So my question is:

Where can I buy low cost Cardioid electrect elements.

thanks
Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mark wrote:

Bit I have not seen velocity sensitive cardioid electret elements for
sale anywhere. The electrets at Digikey etc all appear to be omni.

So my question is:

Where can I buy low cost Cardioid electrect elements.

Digi-Key has a bunch of them. They aren't very good, but they stock
several Panasonic kinds including the WM-55A103 and WM-65A103 capsules.

They also have several Horn brand cardioids... Horn is a Chinese company
making cheaper knockoffs of the Panasonic designs. They also have a single
Knowles model. Personally I have only used the square Knowles omnis, never
the round ones, so I don't know how they are.

The problem is that it's a lot harder to make a good cardioid capsule than
to make a good omni. But again, for two dollars it's worth trying one to
see.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham Adrian Tuddenham is offline

Mark wrote:

I bought some low cost electret mic elements and they are very good
for the cost. But they are omni. I would like to try a Cardioid
electret element.

I have an Cardiod Audio Technica mic that uses an electret element and
I can see as expected that the capsule itself has openings in the
back as well as in the front. The omni elements are all sealed in the
back. So yes, obviously I know that the openings in the back are
needed to create the cardioid pattern. Or another way to look at it
is the additional openings make the mic velocity sensitive instead of
pressure sensitive.

Bit I have not seen velocity sensitive cardioid electret elements for
sale anywhere. The electrets at Digikey etc all appear to be omni.

So my question is:

Where can I buy low cost Cardioid electrect elements.

The Panasonic WM-55A103 is excellent for experimental work and can be
purchased from Micromark/Abacus (in the UK) in minimum quantities of 100
for about 1.50 UKP each. If you are in another country, the Panasonic
website might give you a list of suitable wholesalers.

They are cardioid, but a pair back-to-back wired in antiphase will give
a Fig.8 pure velocity response.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On May 21, 6:24*pm, (Adrian
Tuddenham) wrote:
Mark wrote:
[...]

(Remove the ".invalid"s and add ".co.uk" to reply)www.poppyrecords.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

thanks guys... that's exactly what i am looking for

I'll order a couple of WA-55A103 and the equiv Knowles from Digikey
and see how they work... I have an old wireless dynamic mic with a
bad capsule and I'm going to replace it with one of these electret
elements,,, it already has a power lead for the pre-amp... I tested
it with one of the omni electrets I have and it works great except for
the that fact that its omni instead of cardioid,,, so with one of
these I should be good to go...

thanks

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham Adrian Tuddenham is offline

Mark wrote:

On May 21, 6:24*pm, (Adrian
Tuddenham) wrote:
Mark wrote:
[...]

Be careful, there are three-wire capsules with a resistor and capacitor
built in and there are two-wire capsules which need an external resistor
and capacitor. The WM-55A103 is a two-wire type, so you will have to
add the extra components if it is to replace a three-wire capsule.

In case you need it, I have put a circuit diagram at:
http://www.poppyrecords.co.uk/other/Mic2wire.gif

The capacitor can be any value from about 10uf to 100 uf.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On May 22, 5:46*am, (Adrian
Tuddenham) wrote:
Mark wrote:
On May 21, 6:24*pm, (Adrian
Tuddenham) wrote:
Mark wrote:
[...]

yes thank you...

the electronics already have a DC blocking cap and I know about adding
a resistor to feed the FET pre-amp..

I have already made this work with a 2 wire omni capsule, I now want
to replace the omni capsule with a 2 wire cardioid capsule.

thank you
Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham Adrian Tuddenham is offline

Mark wrote:

On May 22, 5:46*am, (Adrian
Tuddenham) wrote:
Mark wrote:
On May 21, 6:24*pm, (Adrian
Tuddenham) wrote:
Mark wrote:
[...]

Fine, I just wasn't sure from you post whether you might have been a
beginner who need a bit of extra help - obviously not.
(grandmother...eggs...etc)

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

[...]