Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] garyv52@gmail.com is offline

Default Beyerdynamic M 160 Maximum SPL

I just sent in my Beyer M 160 for factory servicing because it was
making a buzzing sound. I'm not sure how they diagnosed the problem,
but they informed me it would require a new ribbon assembly. I have
typically used the M 160 for close micing electric guitar amplifiers
which can be loud but not 100 watt cranked loud.

I know some ribbon manufacturers advertise their mics can handle loud
guitar amplifiers. The Royer 121 maximum SPL is 135 dB for example.
The Beyer M 160 specification sheet doesn't state the maximum SPL. I
don't believe my M 160 has been subjected to any loud blasts of air or
other abuse, so I must be exceeding the maximum SPL rating. I'm
wondering if anyone has an idea what maixmum SPL this microphone can
take. Thanks.

Gary V
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I know some ribbon manufacturers advertise their mics can handle loud
guitar amplifiers. The Royer 121 maximum SPL is 135 dB for example.
The Beyer M 160 specification sheet doesn't state the maximum SPL. I
don't believe my M 160 has been subjected to any loud blasts of air or
other abuse, so I must be exceeding the maximum SPL rating. I'm
wondering if anyone has an idea what maixmum SPL this microphone can
take. Thanks.

The tension on the M160 is very high... the way the capsule is designed,
it can handle outrageously high SPLs... up to the point where the compression
of air becomes a problem.

What it cannot handle is wind. People who blow into the microphone to
make sure it's on will wreck it really fast. I can't imagine a guitar
amp could ever hurt it, but a bass amp could hurt it, maybe. Dropping
it on the floor is more apt to damage it, though.

Maximum Radium Tech 6 March 19th 07 11:14 PM
.mid Vs .wav maximum James Perrett Pro Audio 6 December 29th 05 02:09 AM
.mid Vs .wav maximum Ricky Hunt Pro Audio 1 December 22nd 05 02:52 AM
Maximum SPL from a 12?? SPL?? Car Audio 2 July 19th 04 03:26 AM
Theoretical maximum SPL at STP Rusty Boudreaux Tech 8 August 31st 03 06:18 PM