Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected][_2_] docgorpon@aol.com[_2_] is offline

Default Metal help, please

For anyone with experience recording metal:

Mentioned in another thread, I have a live set recorded of my metal
band. We're kind of an old school, Celtic Frost or Death sounding
bunch. Kind of like a throwback thrash band from the 80's. I've got
the drums sounding killer and the vocals will be no problem.
The bass is tuned down and extremely distorted, Motorhead style. Not a
lot of definition or punch. More like a low rumble.. but you can hear
the notes. There are two tracks.. one was live and the other was
direct (thinner tone, but still distorted).
The guitar is also two tracks. One was a mic in front of the speaker
and the other was behind it, I think. Equal volume, but one is much
darker than the other, naturally. Sounds nice and crunchy (high gain).
But not punchy and definitely too dark.
I'm not really good at eq'ing for punch or clarity and my ear always
likes things too dark (usually making them muddy).
I'm just now learning how to mix, digitally, on my computer. I've
always just gone through the board and outboard gear. I have one of
the cheaper Cakewalk programs (Guitar Tracks Pro). A fair amount of
plugins (comp, eq, and several others). The program also came with
Amplitude, which I have no idea how to use, yet.
I need to do things on a budget.. so please no suggestions of buying a
$500 program. This is just a little project, and I'm wanting it to
sound "decent".
Any tips on:
1. How to make the guitars more crisp, crunchy and heavy? Not over the
top heavy.. but like Celtic Frost or something along those lines.
2. How to get the best out of this bass tone? I think it's a bit too
boomy, now. I'd like it to sound more Lemmy-like. Almost like a second
guitar.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

2. How to get the best out of this bass tone? I think it's a bit too
boomy, now. I'd like it to sound more Lemmy-like. Almost like a second
guitar.

I thought Lemmy sounded like Lemmy because he played chords on a
Rickenbacker. You could try some Harmoniser maybe.

Gareth.