Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] bob80109@googlemail.com is offline

Default What are the laws/rules on remixing music?

Obviously there are many different ways you can remix an existing
track, so if you know of any of the general rules about what you can
and can't get away with, infringement etc, then please note them!

As for my current situation, it's a little bizarre. I have a really
old Yamaha keyboard that has some "original" demo songs on it. They
are pretty cheesy. But I would like to remix one of them into a house
mix, and create vocals for the melody. Would I be infringing on
something here? Borrowing a) the melody line and b) most of the
chords from something already created?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
Obviously there are many different ways you can remix an existing
track, so if you know of any of the general rules about what you can
and can't get away with, infringement etc, then please note them!

As for my current situation, it's a little bizarre. I have a really
old Yamaha keyboard that has some "original" demo songs on it.

What does "original" demo songs mean? If you wrote them
then they are yours, you can do whatever you want with
them, and no quotation marks are necessary.

If somebody else wrote them then you have no rights
to distribute any form of it without permission/license
from the owner of the copyright.

They are pretty cheesy. But I would like to remix one of them
into a house mix, and create vocals for the melody. Would I
be infringing on something here?

If you wrote it then why would there be any infringement?

Borrowing a) the melody line and b) most of the
chords from something already created?

What does "something else already created" mean?
Is it somethign you wrote yourself, or something that
is owned by others?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris Lau Boris Lau is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
As for my current situation, it's a little bizarre. I have a really
old Yamaha keyboard that has some "original" demo songs on it.

What does "original" demo songs mean? If you wrote them
then they are yours, you can do whatever you want with
them, and no quotation marks are necessary.

I think he referred to the built-in demo songs of that keyboard, which
he most probably did not compose himself.

Best,
Boris
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] bob80109@googlemail.com is offline

Yep, sorry, perhaps I should have added that these were built-in demos
on the keyboard. Of course I wouldn't infringe on something I had
composed myself.

Anyway, it was summarised at least then, that:

"If somebody else wrote them then you have no rights
to distribute any form of it without permission/license
from the owner of the copyright. "

....maybe I'll just change the melody a bit.

Has anyone else here done any remixing of existing tracks?