Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Default In Ear Monitor - expensive vrs. cheap

I'm thinking about trying out some in ear monitors but I don't know if
I'll be able to stand them being in there.

Based on that I am thinking about buying a set for sort of an extended
trial period and then buying lasting ones later if I do like them.

Are there any inexpensive in ear monitors that will have good sound
quality.

1 Raido Freqs are NOT an issue - I have a gig that is pretty far from
any sort of radio waves

2 Long lasting is NOT an issue, I plan on buying something really
nice when I know if I like having something stuffed in my
ear over a long period of time.

3 Range is NOT an issue, I'll be just a few feet from my rig

4 Wireless in not a big issue other then not liking wires all over
the place.. and I don't move much.

5 CLARITY IS an issue. I want something that sounds pretty good - at
least as good as you'd expect to get from a wedge in room with 200
people - which isn't that great.

Any thought or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On May 4, 9:41*pm, Danny T wrote:
[...]

PS - Does anyone have experience with how this effects your dealing
with the audience?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_3_] Steve[_3_] is offline

"Danny T" wrote in message
I'm thinking about trying out some in ear monitors but I don't know if
I'll be able to stand them being in there.

Go to a good retailer with a good return policy. Unfortunately most
reatilers won't take back certian products like IEM's, sorta like
underwear.......

Based on that I am thinking about buying a set for sort of an extended
trial period and then buying lasting ones later if I do like them.

Then buy a cheaper pair and see if you like them ($150??). Shure has a good
range that sound decent even in the cheaper realm but then go all the way up
to dual driver models. Go to a local audiologist ----SP???? and get some
ear molds made for them (which are not that expensive and will work with a
more expensive model should you like them). That's the only way you will
know if you will be comfortable with them. I have two pairs of Shure E3c's
(SCL3 equiv) and they are decent and may be a starting point for you. Some
people who come in just flat out don't like them but it usually because they
don't like the whole "in ear" thing and not because of the sound.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Produc...phones_content

I am not into wireless so I can't really comment on any of your other
questions regarding that.

Cheers;
Steve

Are there any inexpensive in ear monitors that will have good sound
quality.

1 Raido Freqs are NOT an issue - I have a gig that is pretty far from
any sort of radio waves

2 Long lasting is NOT an issue, I plan on buying something really
nice when I know if I like having something stuffed in my
ear over a long period of time.

3 Range is NOT an issue, I'll be just a few feet from my rig

4 Wireless in not a big issue other then not liking wires all over
the place.. and I don't move much.

5 CLARITY IS an issue. I want something that sounds pretty good - at
least as good as you'd expect to get from a wedge in room with 200
people - which isn't that great.

Any thought or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Produc...ystems/us_pro_...

[...]

Thanks for that - I figured that you buy 'em you keep ' em which is
why I wanted a cheap pair.

One of my worries is that I have a mp3 player with "ear buds" that
fall out. I figure someone fixed this problem but by looking at the
buds I don't think I can tell what would fit.

YOu mentioned that I can get ear molds and I think that would cover at
least one of the fears. I've used regular sound protection foam plugs
for flying planes and hate those with a passion but the idea of
ridding the monitor feedback factor makes plugs sound like a worthy
effort.

Thanks for your time
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] clathan@yahoo.com is offline

On May 4, 7:41*pm, Danny T wrote:
[...]

I have the Shure E3 and they almost totally isolate you from
surrounding sounds. They sound great but you need to try the supplied
ear pieces until you get a pair you like (they give you a nice
selection). My wife has the E4 that I bought for her to listen to
tapes at night to put her to sleep. I haven't tried them around real
loud outside noises.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
LAB LAB is offline

Are there any inexpensive in ear monitors that will have good sound
quality.

I have tried Shure E2 and E3 and Etymotic ER-4S: www.etymotic.com

Shures sound louder, but Etymotic are more linear. The Etymotic are good
studio monitor ear plugs; the Shure E2 and E3, instead, have less definition
and are good live monitor earplugs.

For a IEM Tx i can suggest you LD-Sytems MEI100:
http://cgi.ebay.de/LD-SYSTEMS-MEI-10...QQcmdZViewItem

Price is very cheap for a stereo IEM. I own it and it is very good. It
works on two AA batteries (life is 8h or more), cheaper than 9V ones and you
can also use AA rechargeble batteries with a longer life.

Gianluca

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Danny T" wrote in message

I'm thinking about trying out some in ear monitors but I
don't know if I'll be able to stand them being in there.

If comfort is the main issue, then you don't have to spend a lot of money on
trial IEMs.

While they don't all sound the same, they do tend to feel the same.
Basically, you have the ones with the ribbed rubber tips, the ones with the
foam tips, and the ones that have a custom-made ear mold.

My recollection is that even the cheapest Shure comes with a slection of
rubber and foam tips, and can be fitted for a earmold.

IME the Shure line is pretty consistent, they are all pretty smooth, but
when you pay more money you get more bass and treble extension. Also, more
money gets you more efficiency. IOW they go louder when plugged into the
same headphone jack.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Danny T wrote:
I'm thinking about trying out some in ear monitors but I don't know if
I'll be able to stand them being in there.

Based on that I am thinking about buying a set for sort of an extended
trial period and then buying lasting ones later if I do like them.

Are there any inexpensive in ear monitors that will have good sound
quality.

Yes. Consider wired in-ear monitors from Shure or from Live Wires. I think
Live Wires will only make custom-molded ones, but Shure has some that will
take generic plugs.

1 Raido Freqs are NOT an issue - I have a gig that is pretty far from
any sort of radio waves

No, you don't. Radio frequency management is a serious issue even in the
middle of the ocean. Radio waves go everywhere. Do not ignore the radio
issues.

2 Long lasting is NOT an issue, I plan on buying something really
nice when I know if I like having something stuffed in my
ear over a long period of time.

Consider the Shures.

3 Range is NOT an issue, I'll be just a few feet from my rig

4 Wireless in not a big issue other then not liking wires all over
the place.. and I don't move much.

Then consider going to a wired system, which will cost a lot less than the
wireless rigs. Make sure you have proper limiting in the monitors, though.

5 CLARITY IS an issue. I want something that sounds pretty good - at
least as good as you'd expect to get from a wedge in room with 200
people - which isn't that great.

Even the worst in-ear monitors will be much clearer than a wedge. That is
actually the problem with them... they sound too clear and they can make you
feel too isolated from the audience if you aren't careful. Adding a little
ambient feed in can help that. Some folks just use a single earpiece too.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_18_] Steve[_18_] is offline

The E3s come with a "fit kit" of different sized ear cups (including the
expandabe foam plugs you dislike) but if you want the best isolation ear
molds are the way to go for sure if you are in a louder environment. They
are fairly reasonable in price to have made and once you have them made you
can use them with any "pro" in ear monitors.

As mentioned in another post on this thread the Etymotic are good as well
but I am not too familiar with them.

Glad I could help.

Cheers;
Steve

"Danny T" wrote in message
On May 4, 10:36 pm, "Steve" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

"Danny T" wrote in message

On May 4, 10:36 pm, "Steve" wrote:

"Danny T" wrote in message

[...]

I'm going to go look at a few of these tomorrow. It wouldn't have
gotten me to far without knowing a bit of what to think about - so
thanks for all the input and ideas.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On May 5, 6:32*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Danny T" wrote in message

I'm thinking about trying out some in ear monitors but I
don't know if I'll be able to stand them being in there.

If comfort is the main issue, then you don't have to spend a lot of money on
trial IEMs.

While they don't all sound the same, they do tend to feel the same.
Basically, you have the ones with the ribbed rubber tips, the ones with the
foam tips, and the ones that have a custom-made ear mold.

My recollection is that even the cheapest Shure comes with a slection of
rubber and foam tips, and can be fitted for a earmold.

IME the Shure line is pretty consistent, they are all pretty smooth, but
when you pay more money you get more bass and treble extension. Also, more
money gets you more efficiency. IOW they go louder when plugged into the
same headphone jack.

You're not the only one to say shure so that's probably the way I'll
go. My concern is that I'll hat it and have to own it but after
checking I see that people do sell them used. I guess people can get
new ear pieces - I didn't want to get stuck with another expensive
paper weight. ... something I do a lot !

Thanks Arny
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On May 5, 9:35*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Danny T wrote:

Then consider going to a wired system, which will cost a lot less than the
wireless rigs. *Make sure you have proper limiting in the monitors, though.

Yes - I have thought about that!

Thanks Scott
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] paul@nospam.net is offline

Hi Danny,
I have a Shure PMS 600 I willing to sell.
It's a wired system and I have E2 in ears with it or If you don't
want the E2 I'll keeps them and you can get whatever you like. It
looks like a new PMS 600 comes with E3 .

I used this system while on tour for several years. It works fine. I
no longer tour.
I'll sell this with the E2 for $500. or with out them for $450.
email meat paul at glitchless dot net if you're interested.
To answer your second post I was playing as an accompanist and was
able to focus on the the sequences I was playing with or the Artist
who was singing and not get distracted by the audience.
I could hear them If I wanted, but for me it was better if I didn't.

You could be slightly isolated at first. They take a little getting
used to.

P6HW Wired Bodypack

Key Features

* Detachable input cable
* Rugged metal chassis

Operating Controls

* Operating mode (Stereo, Mono, MixMode)
* Volume knob
* Balance knob
* Defeatable limiter
* High-frequency boost
* -15 dB pad

LED Indicators

* Power
* Peak input level
* Low battery
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On May 6, 12:25*am, wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind when shopping..... didn't happen today on
account of stuff got in the way :-)