Posted to rec.audio.pro
apa apa is offline

Default matrix mixer for headphones

I'm looking into setting up a more flexible headphone monitoring
system for live tracking. I've got the direct outs free on my main
board and thought I'd pick up a cheap line mixer, feed the some of the
DO's (or the buss outs) to it and use aux sends off the extra mixer
to feed a collection of headphone amps. That would let me put the
headphone board out in the performance area and let performers make
their own mixes. I have enough amps around so it would just be a
matter of the mixer and the cabling. Can anyone recommend a small
mixer with at least 6 inputs and at least 4 aux sends and preferably
very little else?
Thanks, Andy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] clathan@yahoo.com is offline

On May 4, 10:52*am, apa wrote:
I'm looking into setting up a more flexible headphone monitoring
system for live tracking. I've got the direct outs free on my main
board and thought I'd pick up a cheap line mixer, feed the some of the
DO's *(or the buss outs) to it and use aux sends off the extra mixer
to feed a collection of headphone amps. *That would let me put the
headphone board out in the performance area and let performers make
their own mixes. *I have enough amps around so it would just be a
matter of the mixer and the cabling. Can anyone recommend a small
mixer with at least 6 inputs and at least 4 aux sends and preferably
very little else?
Thanks, Andy

You might be able to find a used Yamaha 01V for under $500. It will
also let you store presets for different setups.It comes with 12 mic
pres with line ins on every input plus spdif in and out plus 2 stereo
ins. I use one all the time for a side mixer to my Yamaha DM2000.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
apa wrote:
I'm looking into setting up a more flexible headphone monitoring
system for live tracking. I've got the direct outs free on my main
board and thought I'd pick up a cheap line mixer, feed the some of the
DO's (or the buss outs) to it and use aux sends off the extra mixer
to feed a collection of headphone amps. That would let me put the
headphone board out in the performance area and let performers make
their own mixes. I have enough amps around so it would just be a
matter of the mixer and the cabling. Can anyone recommend a small
mixer with at least 6 inputs and at least 4 aux sends and preferably
very little else?

The OZ Q-Mix is designed for the application, and Roland used to make
a larger matrix mixer. More convenient than fiddling around with a console
designed for general purpose work.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
apa apa is offline

On May 5, 9:52 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
In article ,

apa wrote:
I'm looking into setting up a more flexible headphone monitoring
system for live tracking. I've got the direct outs free on my main
board and thought I'd pick up a cheap line mixer, feed the some of the
DO's (or the buss outs) to it and use aux sends off the extra mixer
to feed a collection of headphone amps. That would let me put the
headphone board out in the performance area and let performers make
their own mixes. I have enough amps around so it would just be a
matter of the mixer and the cabling. Can anyone recommend a small
mixer with at least 6 inputs and at least 4 aux sends and preferably
very little else?

The OZ Q-Mix is designed for the application, and Roland used to make
a larger matrix mixer. More convenient than fiddling around with a console
designed for general purpose work.

Thanks Scott. From the info I could find, that Q-Mix box looks ideal -
too bad it doesn't seem to be made anymore. I'll keep my eyes peeled
for a used one.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

apa wrote:

Thanks Scott. From the info I could find, that Q-Mix box looks ideal -
too bad it doesn't seem to be made anymore. I'll keep my eyes peeled
for a used one.

The expensive ideal solution is the modular mixer from Crest, which allows
you to buy a power supply and one 1U module for a single headphone feed,
then stack up more 1U modules to generate more feeds; they all stack
together with a multipin pass-through cable. It's not cheap, sadly,
but it's a grown-up version of the Q-Mix.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
apa apa is offline

On May 5, 1:13 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
apa wrote:

Thanks Scott. From the info I could find, that Q-Mix box looks ideal -
too bad it doesn't seem to be made anymore. I'll keep my eyes peeled
for a used one.

The expensive ideal solution is the modular mixer from Crest, which allows
you to buy a power supply and one 1U module for a single headphone feed,
then stack up more 1U modules to generate more feeds; they all stack
together with a multipin pass-through cable. It's not cheap, sadly,
but it's a grown-up version of the Q-Mix.

Just for the record, I also came across the Shure AuxPander, which
seems also to be discontinued. It doesn't have headphone amps. It's
just a matrix mixer.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

apa wrote:

From the info I could find, that Q-Mix box looks ideal -
too bad it doesn't seem to be made anymore. I'll keep my eyes peeled
for a used one.

The Mackie HMX-56 is a later day version of the Oz. I've never known
anyone to own one so maybe they never sold any, but it's still in their
catalog. I'll bet if you can find a dealer who has one in stock you can
get a great deal on it. A quick Google search showed none in stock at
the more popular dealers, and a couple have declared this product
"discontinued" as well. But it seems that the going price was $150 and
that's hard to beat for the functionality if you can find one.

http://www.mackie.com/products/hmx56/index.html

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RBI Rocks RBI Rocks is offline

On May 5, 4:36�pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
apa wrote:
From the info I could find, that Q-Mix box looks ideal -
too bad it doesn't seem to be made anymore. I'll keep my eyes peeled
for a used one.

The Mackie HMX-56 is a later day version of the Oz. I've never known
anyone to own one so maybe they never sold any, but it's still in their
catalog. I'll bet if you can find a dealer who has one in stock you can
get a great deal on it. A quick Google search showed none in stock at
the more popular dealers, and a couple have declared this product
"discontinued" as well. But it seems that the going price was $150 and
that's hard to beat for the functionality if you can find one.

http://www.mackie.com/products/hmx56/index.html

me he
)

I use the Mackie HMX-56 and it works great. It has a stereo (L/R)
input and
4 mono inputs. You can use the effects return as an additional stereo
input.
With the 6 channels, that gives you 6 separate headphone mixes.
I recommend using balanced lines to the TRS inputs to avoid ground
loop buzz.
Hopefully this unit is still available.
-Joe O