Posted to rec.audio.pro
stubulman stubulman is offline

Default Traveling Markers

I am using Pro Tools LE with my iMac and a Digi 002 Rack. I primarily
do spoken word projects. Some of theses consist of six hour seminars
recorded in my studio. I like the editing features of Pro Tools such
as being able to play up to a selection, play out of a selection,
play up to the end of a selection and of course play from the
beginning of a selection. The problem comes with inserts and deletions
and the consequent effect upon markers. I do hundreds and hundreds of
edits for lip smacks, false starts etc. The problem is that markers
(some of which indicate track breaks for a given CD) adhere to the
time-line, not to given audio region. As a consequence, when I make an
edit, the markers "drift" with respect to the actual audio. I've
talked to Digi and they say they are aware of the situation. Do any of
the other software programs handle markers more kindly while still
providing the ease of editing that I find with Pro Tools?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

stubulman writes:

time-line, not to given audio region. As a consequence, when I make an
edit, the markers "drift" with respect to the actual audio. I've
talked to Digi and they say they are aware of the situation. Do any of

Yikes! I thought there was a prefereences items for this, but couldn't find it last
time I looked. And Digi says they're "aware" of the situation... That's a fairly
nasty problem.

the other software programs handle markers more kindly while still
providing the ease of editing that I find with Pro Tools?

As much as I've had various issues with Sound Forge, at least its markers move with
edits. In general, its 2-track editing and certain aspects of the UI are ahead
of PT. But I'm sure there are other app choices as well.

Hopefully, though, there's a fix for PT!!

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
rboy rboy is offline

If you put the track at the top of the tracks and shift click to also
select the marker timeline above. when you chop it in shuffle the
markers will move. But that's the only way. You must include them in
the selection. It incredibly lame and horrible : )

To not have an option where markers move with the track is insane.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On May 1, 6:05*pm, stubulman wrote:
[...]

Thanks guys for the input.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 01 May 2008, stubulman wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Do any of the other software programs handle markers more kindly

Cakewalk Sonar has the option to leave markers where they are or
move them, whichever you wish.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
lawapa[_2_] lawapa[_2_] is offline

On May 2, 9:56*am, Nil wrote:
On 01 May 2008, stubulman wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Do any of the other software programs handle markers more kindly

Cakewalk Sonar has the option to leave markers where they are or
move them, whichever you wish.

Both Sound forge and Vegas handle markers very well with keyboard
shortcuts to do edits very fast and efficient.
Vegas does video like that as well as audio so it could be a major
plus if you ever decide to video tape your seminars.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On May 3, 9:53*am, lawapa wrote:
On May 2, 9:56*am, Nil wrote:

On 01 May 2008, stubulman wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Do any of the other software programs handle markers more kindly

Cakewalk Sonar has the option to leave markers where they are or
move them, whichever you wish.

Both Sound forge and Vegas handle markers very well with keyboard
shortcuts to do edits very fast and efficient.
Vegas does video like that as well as audio so it could be a major
plus if you ever decide to video tape your seminars.

Most of the suggestions (for which I am grateful) are for Windows
platform software. Although I'm running Boot Camp on my iMac, I'd
prefer to remain in the Mac realm. Being an old radio "blade and
grease pencil" man, I am very thankful for the magic that is digital
editing.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
chestek chestek is offline

rboy wrote:
If you put the track at the top of the tracks and shift click to also
select the marker timeline above. when you chop it in shuffle the
markers will move. But that's the only way. You must include them in
the selection. It incredibly lame and horrible : )

To not have an option where markers move with the track is insane.

Hey, count your blessings....for many years PT wouldn't even do that!
The only way to move the markers used to be to grab and drag them, one
at a time.

.....progress, I guess....

JChestek
Posted to rec.audio.pro
lawapa[_2_] lawapa[_2_] is offline

On May 3, 8:34*am, stubulman wrote:
On May 3, 9:53*am, lawapa wrote:

On May 2, 9:56*am, Nil wrote:

On 01 May 2008, stubulman wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Do any of the other software programs handle markers more kindly

Cakewalk Sonar has the option to leave markers where they are or
move them, whichever you wish.

Both Sound forge and Vegas handle markers very well with keyboard
shortcuts to do edits very fast and efficient.
Vegas does video like that as well as audio so it could be a major
plus if you ever decide to video tape your seminars.

Most of the suggestions (for which I am grateful) are for Windows
platform software. Although I'm running Boot Camp on my iMac, I'd
prefer to remain in the Mac realm. Being an old radio "blade and
grease pencil" man, I am very thankful for the magic that is digital
editing.

Adobe Audition is I believe a Mac app which should take care of your
needs. Natively of course with no BC. I'd download the demo to be sure
but it's got everything SF has and maybe more.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

On May 3, 9:53 am, lawapa wrote:

On May 2, 9:56 am, Nil wrote:

[...]

Audition, the old Cool Edit Pro, is a PC application. Unless something has
changed that I haven't heard about.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
stubulman stubulman is offline

On May 3, 9:53 am, lawapa wrote:

On May 2, 9:56 am, Nil wrote:

[...]

That's the first thing I checked on the Adobe website. It's seems to
be PC only.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On May 3, 9:53 am, lawapa wrote:

On May 2, 9:56 am, Nil wrote:

[...]

That's the first thing I checked on the Adobe website. It seems to be
an PC only application.

Stu B
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On May 3, 9:53 am, lawapa wrote:

On May 2, 9:56 am, Nil wrote:

[...]

a PC only application.
Stu B
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On May 2, 6:48*am, rboy wrote:
If you put the track at the top of the tracks and shift click to also
select the marker timeline above. when you chop it in shuffle the
markers will move. *But that's the only way. *You must include them in
the selection. * It incredibly lame and horrible *: *)

To not have an option where markers move with the track is insane.

I did some experimentation with your method and it works as
advertised. It would slow my work down to a crawl considering the
amount of editing already involved.

It occurred to me, however, that when making an insert, there is no
way to commensurately advance the markers. I always have a track which
I label "work." Often times when corrections or new material (e.g.,
changes in tax law) must be added to existing material, I record them
on the "work" track and then copy and paste what is needed onto the
existing tracks. The markers stay put as the downstream audio is
pushed down the timeline.

It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice if the markers
behaved more intuitively.