Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] steve.howlett@gmail.com is offline

Default How do you make the windows xp line in to be line out?

Hi,

I want to use ableton on a laptop and have 2 outputs - of course there
is always one output but i have rea that the microphone line in (which
i never use) can be configured to be an additional line out!

wow - that would be so handy - can anyone shed any light on this
please?

thanks...

Steve
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Thu, 1 May 2008 03:08:01 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Hi,

I want to use ableton on a laptop and have 2 outputs - of course there
is always one output but i have rea that the microphone line in (which
i never use) can be configured to be an additional line out!

wow - that would be so handy - can anyone shed any light on this
please?

This isn't about Windows, it's about your onboard audio hardware and
its driver. Some systems have multi-function ports under software
control. But I think if your mic port IS configurable as an output
it's more likely to be for surround speakers than for anything useful
in Ableton.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Hi,

I want to use ableton on a laptop and have 2 outputs - of course there
is always one output but i have rea that the microphone line in (which
i never use) can be configured to be an additional line out!

wow - that would be so handy - can anyone shed any light on this
please?

This isn't about Windows, it's about your onboard audio hardware and
its driver. *Some systems have multi-function ports under software
control. *But I think if your mic port IS configurable as an output
it's more likely to be for surround speakers than for anything useful
in Ableton.

interesting - thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote...
I want to use ableton on a laptop and have 2 outputs - of course there
is always one output but i have rea that the microphone line in (which
i never use) can be configured to be an additional line out!

wow - that would be so handy - can anyone shed any light on this
please?

That would be a function of your computer hardware (which you
did not identify) and the drivers for that hardware. Windows XP
will do whatever the hardware and the drivers will allow.

OTOH, a laptop with configurable port for mic in or line out
is extremely unlikely. Unless you can prove that your computer
will do that, you should seek some alternate solution.

Windows Line-In leetcharmer Tech 8 July 17th 06 03:41 PM
Do low mu tubes make better line stages? Andy Evans Vacuum Tubes 15 December 22nd 05 09:12 AM
FS: Sonic Frontiers Line 2 Black/Silver - SF Line 2.jpg (0/1) Ron Marketplace 0 January 24th 05 04:38 PM
Does anyone make a car radio with a line in jack in the front? Christos Christoforou Car Audio 10 May 16th 04 08:20 PM
Connecting 4-Wire (Line-in and Line-out) to a headset jack Matthew Lonergan Tech 0 February 5th 04 08:31 PM