Posted to rec.audio.pro
C[_2_] C[_2_] is offline

Default Phantom Power question

So I've learned some lessons recently about the importance of true 48v
power with the correct amount of millamps,etc. One of my Ph.power
supplies actually provides 50v. Is over powering bad for a mic? Will
it overwork it?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
LAB LAB is offline

Standard Phantom Power is 48+/-4V, then 50V is Ok.

Gianluca

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anahata Anahata is offline

C wrote:
So I've learned some lessons recently about the importance of true 48v
power with the correct amount of millamps,etc. One of my Ph.power
supplies actually provides 50v. Is over powering bad for a mic? Will
it overwork it?

Typical mics specify a tolerance of +/- 4V.

Also try drawing a 2 mA load from the supply (about 39k to ground on
each leg) and see what the voltage measures then. (at the 48V supply end
of the 6.8k resistors, not on pins 2 and 3 of the XLR)

Anahata
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 07:29:50 -0700 (PDT), C
wrote:

So I've learned some lessons recently about the importance of true 48v
power with the correct amount of millamps,etc. One of my Ph.power
supplies actually provides 50v. Is over powering bad for a mic? Will
it overwork it?

50V is just fine. There is a pretty large tolerance for phantom power
voltage for most mics - many will work down to less than half the
normal 48V.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

wrote:

So I've learned some lessons recently about the importance of true 48v
power with the correct amount of millamps,etc. One of my Ph.power
supplies actually provides 50v. Is over powering bad for a mic? Will
it overwork it?

Is that a rated figure or a measurement you took? If a measurement,
what was the load?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

C wrote:
So I've learned some lessons recently about the importance of true 48v
power with the correct amount of millamps,etc. One of my Ph.power
supplies actually provides 50v. Is over powering bad for a mic? Will
it overwork it?

50V is well within tolerance. Sennheiser -P48 mics spec +/-12V! EV System
C mics are spec'd at 12V and work with 8-48V. The Shure VP88 accepts
9-52V. And so on.

--
~
~ Roy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

C wrote:
So I've learned some lessons recently about the importance of true 48v
power with the correct amount of millamps,etc. One of my Ph.power
supplies actually provides 50v. Is over powering bad for a mic? Will
it overwork it?

The ISO spec is 48V, +/-3V, so 50V is within the spec. The big deal, though,
is that it can deliver enough current that the voltage doesn't drop too much
on load; the source impedance needs to be very close to 6.81K.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"C" wrote in message

So I've learned some lessons recently about the
importance of true 48v power with the correct amount of
millamps,etc. One of my Ph.power supplies actually
provides 50v. Is over powering bad for a mic? Will it
overwork it?

Per spec, no. IME with faulty mics, it can matter.

At one point I had 2 MXL 603s that worked fine on 48volts or less, but were
terribly noisy on ca. 48.01 volts or more. Obviously a product fault. It
took a trip back to the importer to get them made right. When they came
back, they properly didn't care.

Question regarding Phantom Power Neil Pro Audio 110 September 27th 04 02:30 PM
Question regarding Phantom Power Neil Pro Audio 0 September 24th 04 06:44 PM
Question regarding Phantom Power Neil Pro Audio 0 September 24th 04 06:44 PM
Phantom power question xy Pro Audio 2 August 21st 04 03:08 PM
Phantom power from Bipolar supply question. smilinfu Pro Audio 8 October 14th 03 10:39 PM