Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Which words aren't permitted on broadcast radio?

In article , JY wrote:
Is there such a thing as a publically accessible lexicon of what language is
permitted on mainstream radio?

No.

For instance, I noticed that "ass" is now permitted, while "****" definitely
is not. But what about "bitch"? Or "niggaz"? Those seem borderline to me.

Basically, if you get an FCC citation for it, it's bad. Otherwise it's
okay. The FCC will not give clear guidelines. What is okay yesterday may
be different than what is okay today.

I'm asking because my current project is a rap remix and, as you might
imagine, there is no shortage of all of the above all over the song. I need
to prepare 2 versions : censored and uncensored.

I'm wondering what needs censoring in the consored one. In the rap world, do
they really censor "niggaz" despite the fact that it's not used in any
derogatory fashion?

Contact Clear Channel; they do actually have an internal policy about what
they consider acceptable for broadcast. It may or may not have any relation
to the FCC's policy.

Many broadcasters are willing to accept occasional FCC fines and consider it
a part of the cost of doing business. Whether they are willing to take
that risk on YOUR song is another question; they are much more likely to
take a risk on a known hit from an established artist.

Follow-up question : would the same "banned words" list apply to satellite
radio?

There are no rules regarding allowable programming on satellite radio, so
again it's entirely what the broadcaster is willing to put on the air.
And in most cases there, it's almost anything.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_3_] Steve[_3_] is offline

"Agent 86" wrote in message
Scott Dorsey wrote:

In article , JY wrote:
Is there such a thing as a publically accessible lexicon of what language
is permitted on mainstream radio?

No.

For instance, I noticed that "ass" is now permitted, while "****"
definitely is not. But what about "bitch"? Or "niggaz"? Those seem
borderline to me.

Basically, if you get an FCC citation for it, it's bad. Otherwise it's
okay. The FCC will not give clear guidelines. What is okay yesterday
may
be different than what is okay today.

When in doubt, don't say ****, ****, ****, ****, cocksucker, mother****er,
or tit. (or fart, turd, or ****).

Hehehehehe......on radio you are more than welcome to prick your finger but
if you finger your prick............. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Mar 19, 5:09*pm, "JY" wrote:
Is there such a thing as a publically accessible lexicon of what language is
permitted on mainstream radio?

For instance, I noticed that "ass" is now permitted, while "****" definitely
is not. But what about "bitch"? Or "niggaz"? Those seem borderline to me.

I'm asking because my current project is a rap remix and, as you might
imagine, there is no shortage of all of the above all over the song. I need
to prepare 2 versions : censored and uncensored.

I'm wondering what needs censoring in the consored one. In the rap world, do
they really censor "niggaz" despite the fact that it's not used in any
derogatory fashion?

Follow-up question : would the same "banned words" list apply to satellite
radio?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtougas[_3_] jtougas[_3_] is offline

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:24:54 -0400, "Steve" trained 100
monkeys to jump on the keyboard and write:

Hehehehehe......on radio you are more than welcome to prick your finger but
if you finger your prick............. :-)

Nuts, you stole my Carlin quote... ;-)
--
jtougas

"listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go" - e.e. cummings

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

All these words are permissible in context, provided consideration is
given to the time of day and the profile of the audience.

You're in the UK. The rules in the US are different (and ridiculous).

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Corfield Richard Corfield is offline

On 2008-03-19, Fletch wrote:
Personally, I found this a stupid and very poor excuse to attempt to
make a negative pejorative into a positive "good" thing, not unlike what
the homosexuals did with the pink triangle that was used by Germany in
WWII to label homosexuals, and as the yellow Shiva star identified Jews.

Shiva? It was David I thought. Shiva I think tends to be 3 white lines
though I may be completely wrong on that count.

I find some of the things censored out in the UK daft. I also wonder
whether bringing attention to them, making them taboo, makes them
cooler. For example from the scissor sisters words like "Acid" changed
to a truck horn sound, and "*******" just removed. ******* is actually a
real word, as is Acid (Aceeeeed!), but not in that context.

I wouldn't drink acid - would make a mess of my stomach, at least if any
stronger than that found naturally in things like lemons

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard Corfield
_/ _/ _/ _/
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Richard Corfield wrote:

I find some of the things censored out in the UK daft. I also wonder
whether bringing attention to them, making them taboo, makes them
cooler. For example from the scissor sisters words like "Acid" changed
to a truck horn sound, and "*******" just removed. ******* is actually a
real word, as is Acid (Aceeeeed!), but not in that context.

I wouldn't drink acid - would make a mess of my stomach, at least if any
stronger than that found naturally in things like lemons

I believe it makes you go dancing around with your head turned into a single
eyeball, at least according to the Residents.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2008-03-20, Scott Dorsey wrote:

I wouldn't drink acid - would make a mess of my stomach, at least if any
stronger than that found naturally in things like lemons

I believe it makes you go dancing around with your head turned into a single
eyeball, at least according to the Residents.

That sounds particularly painful.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard Corfield
_/ _/ _/ _/
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JY JY is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

"Niggaz" is okay on the radio, even though it's an offensive term that
is racially demeaning. However, "zoot it up the butt" is not okay, even
though it's describing a very popular indoor sport.

Very popular, eh?

(Is that what you tell yourself?)

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JY JY is offline

"RD Jones" wrote in message

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

These date back to 1972. Words like "****" have become more acceptable in
the 3 and a half decades since. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Mar 20, 4:03*am, Richard Corfield
wrote:

I wouldn't drink acid - would make a mess of my stomach, at least if any
stronger than that found naturally in things like lemons

I believe the acid produced in the stomach naturally is stronger than
that.

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Niggaz" is okay on the radio, even though it's an offensive term
that is racially demeaning. However, "zoot it up the butt" is not
okay, even though it's describing a very popular indoor sport.

It would more accurately be called a backdoor sport.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom McCreadie Tom McCreadie is offline

Agent 86 wrote:

When in doubt, don't say ****, ****, ****, ****, cocksucker, mother****er,
or tit. (or fart, turd, or ****).

Comedy scriptwriter Dennis Norden once joked of the need to comply
with the BBC's 1970's guidelines: no references to religion, royalty,
handicapped people or racial minorities.
He was sorely tempted to apoplex the folks in vetting pipeline with a
smuggled-in line:
"'Christ!", said the Queen to the one-legged wog.

But those rules paled against the apocryphal tales of the BBC start-up
days under Lord Reith - Radio announcers having to don dinner
jackets.
--
Tom McCreadie

Live at The London Palindrome - ABBA
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Tom McCreadie wrote:

But those rules paled against the apocryphal tales of the BBC start-up
days under Lord Reith - Radio announcers having to don dinner
jackets.

Yeah, of course, or else they wouldn't have sounded like they were on
the radio!

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
philicorda[_4_] philicorda[_4_] is offline

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:53:48 -0600, hank alrich wrote:

Tom McCreadie wrote:

But those rules paled against the apocryphal tales of the BBC start-up
days under Lord Reith - Radio announcers having to don dinner jackets.

Yeah, of course, or else they wouldn't have sounded like they were on
the radio!

Naturally. It would not make much sense to call them 'DJ's if they were
not wearing dinner jackets.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Kadis Jay Kadis is offline

Tom McCreadie wrote:

But those rules paled against the apocryphal tales of the BBC start-up
days under Lord Reith - Radio announcers having to don dinner jackets.

Yeah, of course, or else they wouldn't have sounded like they were on
the radio!

Naturally. It would not make much sense to call them 'DJ's if they were
not wearing dinner jackets.

No mention of pants...

-Jay

--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x ---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Jay Kadis wrote:

Tom McCreadie wrote:

But those rules paled against the apocryphal tales of the BBC start-up
days under Lord Reith - Radio announcers having to don dinner jackets.

Yeah, of course, or else they wouldn't have sounded like they were on
the radio!

Naturally. It would not make much sense to call them 'DJ's if they were
not wearing dinner jackets.

No mention of pants...

Well, now that you mention it, we hear little of dinner pants. It's all
about the jackets.

Do microphones really know about this stuff??

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser Scott Fraser is offline

Contact Clear Channel; they do actually have an internal policy about what they consider acceptable for broadcast. *

This is like contacting Fox News & asking them to recommend a
presidential candidate.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage Marc Wielage is offline

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:09:10 -0700, JY commented:

Is there such a thing as a publically accessible lexicon of what language is
permitted on mainstream radio?
------------------------------snip------------------------------

I've never seen a better explanation than this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

Note that there is a big difference between "obscene" language and "indecent"
language. The problem with all of these rules for broadcast is that they
have to be interpreted. Phrases like "patently obscene" mean different
things to different people.

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage Marc Wielage is offline

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:09:10 -0700, JY commented:

Is there such a thing as a publically accessible lexicon of what language is
permitted on mainstream radio?
------------------------------snip------------------------------

BTW, the funniest song I've ever heard about what can and cannot be said on
the radio is Red Peters' classic "I Can't Say These Things."

Even the censored version is hilarious -- and available on iTunes. I
recommend it highly. One can make a good argument that even the censored
version is extremely funny, and that the words themselves aren't necessary
for the joke to work.

Adam Sandler's "Ode to My Car" is a very close second. Dr. Demento played
the censored version of that for years on his radio show, and it was
hilarious mainly because of the precisely-chosen sound effects used to
replace the curse words. Granted, it's censorship, but the censorship itself
was hilariously done.

--MFW