Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] vinylanach@aol.com is offline

Default Cryogenics

A few months ago, both ScottW and Howard chided me for remarking that
a pair of headphones I had for review, the ALOAudio Grado SR225s, had
cryogenically-treated, cotton-insulated cable. Of course Howard
dismissed such a product without hearing it, as he always does. My
comments, however, weren't in favor of cryogenics, just to state that
I heard an improvement over the stock phones. This could have been
due to the cotton insulation, the oxygen-free copper, or the custom-
made rosewood ear cups. I didn't know just how much the cryogenics had
to do with the improvement I heard without taking it out of the
equation.

Scott and Howard jumped in, saying that cryogenics was a crock. But
then I read something that intrigued me. Cryogenically-treated
precision drill bits last up to four times as long as untreated bits.
Obviously cryogenics does something to change the composition of the
metal. Why, therefore, is it ludicrous to believe that cryogenics
could make a sonic difference?

Of course, feel free to refrain from participating in this
conversation if a) you've never compared a cryogenically-treated cable
with an untreated one, or b) you can't offer a scientific explanation
to support your answer. In other words, random cries of "Snake Oil!"
will be met with disdain.

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 17 Feb, 17:08, wrote:
[...]

Now I get it. Arny's special brand of religious hypocricy is fueled by
special cyrogenic 'floobydust'.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Marc said:

[snip]
then I read something that intrigued me. Cryogenically-treated
precision drill bits last up to four times as long as untreated bits.
Obviously cryogenics does something to change the composition of the
metal. Why, therefore, is it ludicrous to believe that cryogenics
could make a sonic difference?

Almost all technological breakthroughs are serendipitous, including
tempering of metal. The science guys didn't figure out why tempering
made metals stronger until they had the instruments to detect molecular-
scale changes. So my question would be whether treating copper with an
ultra-cold bath rearranges the molecules to allow for a difference in
the electrical properties.

(At this point, the Krooborg will assert complete knowledge of the
subject of cryo-metallurgy, having "been there done, that" in 1983.)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

A few months ago, both ScottW and Howard chided me for
remarking that a pair of headphones I had for review, the
ALOAudio Grado SR225s, had cryogenically-treated,
cotton-insulated cable.

So Marc, in the interest of science, you obtained a stock pair of Grado SR
225, and did a thorough technical and listening-based analysis of both, and
compared them in a bias-controlled listening test.

I didn't think so! :-(

Of course Howard dismissed such
a product without hearing it, as he always does.

Even as a librarian, Howard knew the difference between hype and technology.

My
comments, however, weren't in favor of cryogenics, just
to state that I heard an improvement over the stock
phones.

How do you know that is true? How do you know that the cryogenic-cable
Grado SR 225 sounded different from from one with the standard cable?
Where's the science? Where are the carefully-done listening tests?

This could have been due to the cotton
insulation, the oxygen-free copper, or the custom- made
rosewood ear cups.

None are likely to make a big audible difference, but of the bunch the
rosewood ear cups have the greatest potential. Anything that interacts that
closely with the driver has at least a snowball's chance in Orange County of
having an audible effect. Of course that presumes that the stock ear cup is
a resonant POS.

I didn't know just how much the
cryogenics had to do with the improvement I heard without
taking it out of the equation.

Scott and Howard jumped in, saying that cryogenics was a
crock. But then I read something that intrigued me.
Cryogenically-treated precision drill bits last up to
four times as long as untreated bits. Obviously
cryogenics does something to change the composition of
the metal. Why, therefore, is it ludicrous to believe
that cryogenics could make a sonic difference?

It's ludicrous because you're talking about the passage of electricity
through a good electrical conductor (copper), not the life of a cutting
tool. There is some science behind thermal treatments of metal cutting
tools. There is some science behind thermal treatments for the resonant
components of musical instruments.

However Marc, as usual you don't have your facts right. It turns out that
the scientifically-proven benefit of cryogenic treatment of drill bits is
about 1/4, not 4 times.

http://www.nitrofreeze.com/cryo_twist_drills.html

The rest is hype and anecdote.

But getting back to cryogenically-treated headphone cables, they can't and
won't make a sonic difference because from an electrical standpoint, they
are vastly overbuilt. Their resistance, inductance and capacitance is even
less important than it is for speaker cables.

The fact of the matter is that the most relevant characteristic of headphone
cables is not how they sound, but how they last.

Finally Marc, didn't you know that for consumer listening, headphones are
fantastically passe . In 2008. it is all about IEMs, Marc, or don't you
know? ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 17 Feb, 19:49, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

A few months ago, both ScottW and Howard chided me for
remarking that a pair of headphones I had for review, the
ALOAudio Grado SR225s, had cryogenically-treated,
cotton-insulated cable.

So Marc, in the interest of science, you obtained a stock pair of Grado SR
225, and did a thorough technical and listening-based analysis of both, and
compared them in a bias-controlled listening test.

I didn't think so! :-(

He was busy talking to Jesus, arranging for him to be his Savior. Much
more
imporrant than bias coontrolled tests.

*Of course Howard dismissed such
a product without hearing it, as he always does.

Even as a librarian, Howard knew the difference between hype and technology.

too bad you don't. You believe in the parting of the Red Sea, for
example.

How do you *know that is true? How do you know that the cryogenic-cable
Grado SR 225 sounded different from from one with the standard cable?
Where's the science? Where are the carefully-done listening tests?

Jeeeee-zus!
do you hear me?
can you help me answer this one?
want to talk to me tonight?

It's ludicrous because you're talking about the passage of electricity
through a good electrical conductor (copper), not the life of a cutting
tool. *There is some science behind thermal treatments of metal cutting
tools. There is some science behind thermal treatments for the resonant
components of musical instruments.

Your favorite Bible stories are ludicrous.
Your belief in God is just as ludicrous.
Jesus is your Savior?
PROVE IT!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Feb 17, 5:39�pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryogenic_hardening
The drill bits harden because impurities precipitate out, causing an
inhomogenous structure. There is no entry on cryogenics applied to copper.
If the copper were pure, there would be no impurities to precipitate out.

I think it's probably the earcups. Plastic is a lousy material for speaker
cabinets. It sounds reasonable to me that the same lousiness would apply to
speakers of small scale, ie., earphones.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

I just recently compared two Grado GS1000s...my stock pair and a pair
with the Stefan AudioArts Equinox cabling. The differences between
those two cans were much more subtle, with the modded pair sounding
smoother in the highs and less fatiguing overall. The Stefan
AudioArts, BTW, are not cryogenically treated, and both pairs of
'phones have wooden earcups.. So I am inclined to think that the
wooden cups on the 225s are making the biggest amount of difference.
I'd still like to break it down and hear for myself, though.

BTW, my Rudistor headphone amplifier has two identical jacks, which
makes these kind of comaprisons a breeze to do.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Feb 18, 12:15�am, Bob Woodward "Bob wrote:
wrote:
A few months ago, both ScottW and Howard chided me for remarking that
a pair of headphones I had for review, the ALOAudio Grado SR225s, had
cryogenically-treated, cotton-insulated cable. �

Why does this abracadabra almost exclusively show up in the
playback-chain. That is, at the consumers end.

While even the finest recordings you are playing have passed through a
multiple of apparatus / circuits / interlinks ( that they call cables )
connectors / ordinary op-amps and electrolytic capacitors.
None of them treated.

How, do you think, can a cryo cotton cable bring the reproduced sound
closer to the original ?

Start listening to music !

Robert

Who has changed from Audiophile to Melomane long ago.

Your statement presupposes two things that aren't necessarily true.
One thing is that the exact chain of technologies that produced the
sound need to be present to replay it. The second is that "closer to
the original" is the ultimate objective. If you're truly a
"melomane," then you'd get that in a second.

I've never said that cryogenically-treated cables are more accurate.
If I had, then your comments may apply.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bob Woodward Bob Woodward is offline

wrote:
On Feb 18, 12:15�am, Bob Woodward "Bob wrote:
wrote:
A few months ago,

Your statement presupposes two things that aren't necessarily true.
One thing is that the exact chain of technologies that produced the
sound need to be present to replay it.

No
What i mean is that, when the use of any kind of treated material
or apparatus will have significant influence on the sound as long
as this sound is passed through these materials or apparatus, the
lack of these materials or apparatus in the recording chain ( that
usually is much larger than the playback chain ) would have such
a negative influence on the recorded sound that this cannot be
compensated in the playback chain.

The second is that "closer to
the original" is the ultimate objective. If you're truly a
"melomane," then you'd get that in a second.

Tru
I'm not striving to that anymore.
But others do. Well, they do it for their profession
and it is what rec.audio.opinion should be about.

I've never said that cryogenically-treated cables are more accurate.
If I had, then your comments may apply.

For recording and reproducing audio, the electronics ( including
transducers ) should be done right in the first place.
Together with room acoustics.

Then you could take a look at placement of loudspeakers including the
use of absorbing materials or stands.

Using cryogenic treated interlink or speaker cable will imo only
satisfy the bank-account of the one selling it.

There is a long list of such additional things.
Mostly invented, sold and promoted by those who are fascinated by
the objective of a perfect sounding audio-system but do not have
any clue of electronics.

Robert

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote in message

[...]

That's never true, because record chains and playback chains are inherently
different. Record chains include microphones, mic preamps, mixers, etc.
None of which need or generally ever apply to playback. This is a falsism,
the opposite of a truism.

More significantly, the OP never said that the exact chain for recording has
to be used for playback. He said something different - and that as a rule,
none of the floobydust that some ignorant audiophiles affect, is usually
present in professional recording systems. While mic preamps need never show
up in a playback system, the equipment in both recording and playback
systems will have a lot of basic component parts in common, such as regular
commercial grade resistors and capacitors. Professional recording systems
are typically solid state from microphone through the mixing console to the
digital recorder. If you find a tube in a professional recording system, it
is probably in some legacy microphone. But, more than likely, tubes are
nowhere to be found.

The second is that "closer to the
original" is the ultimate objective. If you're truly a
"melomane," then you'd get that in a second.

Tha fallacy here is that music needs to be mechanically changed in order to
be loved.

I've never said that cryogenically-treated cables are
more accurate. If I had, then your comments may apply.

Don't take credit for that, Marc. You've repeatedly shown yourself incapable
of understanding the concept of sonic accuracy. You never said what the
cryogenically-treated cables do technically, because you are incapable of
coherent technical thoughts. To you, there's no difference between drill
bits and headphone wires.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 19 Feb, 07:55, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

Don't take credit for that, Marc. You've repeatedly shown yourself incapable
of understanding the concept of sonic accuracy. You never said what the
cryogenically-treated cables do technically, because you are incapable of
coherent technical thoughts. To you, there's no difference between drill
bits and headphone wires.

You have never said what Jesus does, technically.
How does he turn water into wine?