Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] erigby@batelnet.bs is offline

Default conrad-johnson pv5 tube preamp

I have replaced the caps in a 23 year old pv5 preamp with new cj caps
except in 2 cases. In one instance I used an auricap brand and I am
unsure of what to use in the 2nd case.

My concern? The remaining caps to be replaced couple the signal to the
loudspeaker. A 2.2uf 250v cap is shunted by a .15uf 200v cap. Conrad-
johnson does not have replaceements. Auricap has a 2.2uf 400v and a .
15uf 450v. If they are able to physically fit in the space available,
what are the negative consequences of using much higher voltage
capability caps than in the original design?

ESTG/
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

wrote in message
I have replaced the caps in a 23 year old pv5 preamp with new cj caps
except in 2 cases. In one instance I used an auricap brand and I am
unsure of what to use in the 2nd case.

My concern? The remaining caps to be replaced couple the signal to the
loudspeaker. A 2.2uf 250v cap is shunted by a .15uf 200v cap. Conrad-
johnson does not have replaceements. Auricap has a 2.2uf 400v and a .
15uf 450v. If they are able to physically fit in the space available,
what are the negative consequences of using much higher voltage
capability caps than in the original design?

ESTG/

You can use a higher voltage rating in a cap with no effects at all. The
preamp will not know the difference. Just use the same capacitance (uf)
rating as the original caps. I would never buy replacement caps from the
manufacturer because their prices are usually marked up significantly.
Besides, you can obtain better quality for less cost elsewhere.
There is a lot of fluff in "boutique" type components, so don't be taken
unless you have deep pockets. The Auricap is an excellent sounding, cost
effective signal coupling cap. I can not properly advise you about
replacement types for your other caps unless you tell me how they are used
in the circuit, i.e. coupling, bypass, power supply, etc., etc.
BTW: I consider the PV5 (at least the phono section) to be one of the top 3
best sounding commercial preamps of all time, in my limited amount of preamp
auditioning.
BTW: afterthought... There should be several Internet sites that cater to
the maintenance and modification of the CJ PV5.

Cordially,
west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 15, 6:56*pm, Bret Ludwig wrote:
On Feb 15, 6:02 pm, "West" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

*I agree although the Marantz 7/Mc C22 is more forgiving.- Hide quoted text -

Thanx for your responses. I will use the Auricaps, although their
rather thick leads make installation on the circuit board a b***h!

ESTG/
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

On Feb 15, 6:02 pm, "West" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Have the old leads stick up and wrap them around the new leads, then solder
(not too much heat). Something done many times in electronics.

west

ESTG/

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

On Feb 15, 6:02 pm, "West" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Agreed. Unless you can get to the back of the board
to unsolder the old caps, then you have no choice but
to snip the leads off on the top side leavbing say 5mm
to which to solder, and wrap and solder the new
components. As West says, this seems to common
repair shop practice. If you can get to the back of the
board, you could insert solder pins or turrets to which
the new components are fixed.

Regards
Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Feb 15, 5:44*pm, wrote:
I have replaced the caps in a 23 year old pv5 preamp with new cj caps
except in 2 cases. In one instance I used an auricap brand and I am
unsure of what to use in the 2nd case.

My concern? The remaining caps to be replaced couple the signal to the
loudspeaker. A 2.2uf 250v cap is shunted by a .15uf 200v cap. Conrad-
johnson does not have replaceements. Auricap has a 2.2uf 400v and a .
15uf 450v. If they are able to physically fit in the space available,
what are the negative consequences *of using much higher voltage
capability caps than in the original design?

ESTG/

A couple/three things as far as caps are concerned:

a) Boutique caps generally sound neither better nor worse than any
other well-made no-name cap. So, unless you are bound to needlessly
lighten your wallet, purchase for function.

b) With the exception of electrolytics in *some* circumstances, as
long as the replacement cap is of equal-or-greater voltage, the amp
will not care. In the case of some electrolytics (only) under some
conditions, voltages of more than 200% of the OEM rating are not
recommended. I doubt this applies to you.

c) Unless specifically labeled otherwise, *electrolytic*
specifications are -20%/+100%. Unless what you are taking out is
marked as a precision cap with specific tolerances, you have a pretty
broad range of options when replacing a specific cap of a specific
value.

d) With non-electrolytics, film caps and so forth, unmarked tolerances
are typically +/-20%. Most caps these days off-the-shelf are far
better than that. But the point is, don't sweat small differences
unless specifically told otherwise.

Measure the cap value before installing - that is a good idea in
general. Nothing you are doing in the values under discussion are
ultra-precision. If Auricaps are a PITA to install, don't waste your
time and money with them, use something that is more convenient.
Neither your ears nor your pre-amp will perceive or know the
difference.

Generally, I purchase caps in bulk, typically between 20 and 100 at a
time. Upon arrival, I screen them and mark them in three colors: Green
= +/-1%. Blue, +/-5%. Red 5%. The "red" ones (perhaps 5% of what I
get) are reserved for vintage radios. But the results of this sort of
testing over the years is that modern caps are remarkably even in
quality.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 19, 8:59*pm, "West" wrote:
"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

I have replaced the caps in a 23 year old pv5 preamp with new cj caps
except in 2 cases. In one instance I used an auricap brand and I am
unsure of what to use in the 2nd case.

My concern? The remaining caps to be replaced couple the signal to the
loudspeaker. A 2.2uf 250v cap is shunted by a .15uf 200v cap. Conrad-
johnson does not have replaceements. Auricap has a 2.2uf 400v and a .
15uf 450v. If they are able to physically fit in the space available,
what are the negative consequences *of using much higher voltage
capability caps than in the original design?

The higher voltage rating is quite OK.

Darned if I can get my customers to reliably pick which channel of a
preamp
has Auricaps and which has Wima polypropylenes.
I tried this with same mono signal to both channels, same channel of PO
and speaker.
After a about 5 tries, customers can't say where the Auricaps or Wimas
are located any better than 50% of the time.

But you use what makes you happy.

And don't worry.

Patrick Turner.

They are both premium caps. I think the question is how do they compare to
stock caps (your ears). Secondly, do you or anyone know what brand signal
caps were in the PV5?

west

ESTG/- Hide quoted text -

Pillock:

Wima is "Premium"?

What planet are you from?

At Mouser, they are about on par with any number of other quality
makers of the same stuff. Nothing "premium" about them after the basic
QC threshold is crossed.

Pound-for-pound, voltage for voltage, however, they run ~10%-or-less
of the cost of Auricaps.

You are a singularly ignorant pillock who has about as much basic
understanding of these things as our younger cat - less as it happens
as he has at least observed the care-and-feeding of tube equipment
directly and slept on some of it during operation - nice and warm.

C-J, like any other similar vendor purchases its caps by material &
specification. The lowest bidder gets the contract. Brands will vary
from production-run to production run, possibly even within the same
run. That is a pretty basic truism of Industrial Engineering. Future
repairs/substitutions will be by material and specification. As is
typical of the species - AGAIN.

One thing true of production equipment makers, they actually do
understand these things. And unless driven by the marketing
department, they will use the most expediant, practical, lowest-cost
part they can for any given application.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article
, Peter
Wieck at
wrote on 2/19/08 9:35 PM:

On Feb 19, 8:59*pm, "West" wrote:
[...]

Peter,

West has fantasies of buying components and building tube gear. I think
that's as far as it goes.

No sense in point out the snake oil to him . . . he ain't gonna REALLY part
with his pennies. It's only make-believe and attention-getting.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

ROTFL ...and the jon Lamb was sure to go.

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
in article
, Peter
Wieck at