Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Thompson-Bell Ian Thompson-Bell is offline

Default 12AX7 (ECC83) types

There seems to be an awful lot of different 12AX7 types out there and
various web sites with various opinions as to what they all mean. For
the RAT Tube Mixer (tm) which would be the preferred type and/or
manufacturer?

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Jan 28, 12:57*pm, Ian Thompson-Bell
wrote:
There seems to be an awful lot of different 12AX7 types out there and
various web sites with various opinions as to what they all mean. For
the RAT Tube Mixer (tm) which would be the preferred type and/or
manufacturer?

Cheers

Ian

Might I suggest the Sylvania Mil.Spec. 5751? It is my considered
opinion based on actual experience that it blows the typical 12AX7
away. "Ruggedized", very low microphonics and (to my ears) very
pleasant sound.

All the things that might be useful in a mixer that may see all kinds
of rough use if successful. There are three grades of this tube, look
for the green label with five (5) stars on it - although the orange-
label version is no slouch and the yellow label is VERY hard to find.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater is offline

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:57:15 +0000, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

There seems to be an awful lot of different 12AX7 types out there and
various web sites with various opinions as to what they all mean. For
the RAT Tube Mixer (tm) which would be the preferred type and/or
manufacturer?

Cheers

Ian

JAN NOS ECG Philips would be a decent choice.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Rudy Rudy is offline

wrote:
[...]

i've seen several dutch builders' comments being quite enthousiastic
about the 5751, which can be run with little to no negative bias,
depending on signal levels, obviously ;-)
low microphonics being universally commented upon ;-)

certainly high on the recommended list

Rudy

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Rudy Rudy is offline

[...]

[...]