Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tynan AgviŠr Tynan AgviŠr is offline

Default Speaking of Tubes/Vintage Audio

I am trying to beef up my music collection again(My last stockpile of CD
Wallets, Tivoli Radio for on the road and IPOD got stolen by those ****ing
useless trash gypsies in Milan(no joke, seriously)..as I pulled into my
Hotel, one of them tapped on the passenger side window and said "Your tire
is flat",,well being the dumbass that I am, and tired(it was 2:30 AM as I
was driving from Krakow), I ran around to check the tire..and the swine
went in the drivers side and stole everything in about 2 minutes. Common
scam there.

So I was curious as to what albums folks are fond of here..(in terms of
sonics, songwriting, talent, yadda yadda)

requirements are

1.) nothing past 1975.

2.) do not need classical or jazz reccomendations..ive got the
grammophone/penguin books and countless resources for that.

3.) dont like reggae or world music.

input from you Golden Eared veterans is valuable to this young pup.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Jan 24, 12:54*pm, "Tynan AgviŠr"
wrote:
[...]

Awfully broad spread left over after your few removals.

I find there are some very fine bluegrass albums out there, some even
reasonably well-recorded. Some does kinda-sorta transition to country,
but not so much. Emmylou Harris Live at the Ryman is one. Norman
Blake, Peter Lang, John Fahey also come to mind if you like guitar.
Leo Kotke is a bit of an acquired taste but one helluva guitarist.

About any Rickie Lee Jones album if you like that sort of smoky female
voice. Ry Cooder has more than a few good moments. I will violate two
of your protocols by suggesting this album of his first:
http://www.rylanders.free-online.co....ages/Jazz.html Even
though it has little to do with jazz and it dates from 1978.

Thousands more, but as to those things that are not tiresome on
repetition there are fewer. But all of the above are natural bridges
to much else in their same veins...

I am sure I will think of more as I ponder this. It would really help
if you would narrow the field some.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tynan AgviŠr Tynan AgviŠr is offline

Peter Wieck wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

I do love guitar(acoustic, hate electric instrumentals)and LOVE pedal
steel(I play pedal and lap steel myself. just got my MSA S-10 back from
the shop)
Ok...Country Rock, Singer Songwriter(Bill Fay, waits, etc), Country, and
rock outside of led zeppelin ,the stones, etc(outside of the usual
suspects, ..I cannot stand zeppelin and only like exile on main street
from the stones)
dont like female voices..well, outside of emmylou and gillian, and alison

My favorite bands are wilco, uncle tupelo, tim easton, loose fur,
america, Johnny Cash(my all time favorite), ryan adams, whiskeytown, hank
williams, merle, gram parsons, flying burrito brothers, byrds...I also
love Tom Waits albums "Closing time"(my favorite of all time), and Rain
Dogs..I love acoustic music. Love stuff that sounds nice on the hifi too.
(though amazing songwriting/arrangements will get a pass)

AKUS Live is one reference for sonics for me

Chet Atkins live in hollywood is another

Neil Young Tonights the night is great(and harvest)..

thank you Sir, love getting music reccomends..
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Bret Ludwig wrote:

Of course, the local Christian minister organizes a welcome party for the
Gypsies, just to show that there's no bigotry, no racism

Uh ?

Thermionic gypsies ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

I do love guitar(acoustic, hate electric instrumentals)and
LOVE pedal
steel(I play pedal and lap steel myself. just got my MSA
S-10 back from
the shop)

I'd quite like an album of greatest slide guitar moments.

Tracks from Waka Jawaka, Bluejeans and Moonbeams, American
Beauty, Nashville Skyline, and a selection of classic
country artistes.

On a different tack, Dick Gaughan, "Handful of Earth", coz I
think you might like it, although a little after your
deadline. And possibly could be categorised as "world
music".

Dick's site is quite interesting, BTW. You may enjoy the
quote from Pete Seeger on Woody Guthrie. Stuff and nonsense,
I say.

You've ruled out most of my music collection except for
orchestral stuff.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tynan AgviŠr Tynan AgviŠr is offline

"Ian Iveson" wrote in news:1wtmj.266198
:

[...]

Buddy Emmons,Speedy west, and Jerry Byrd are my all time favorites. The
best recordings of Pedal/Lap Steel are below i have all of the buddy and
speedy CDs). I also like Cindy Cashdollar and Jerry Douglas(I think Jerry
is number one dobro player in the world now? something like that)

http://pedalsteelmusic.com/music.html

thanks Sir, yall keep them coming if you will.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

My friend has an acoustic steel guitar. I haven't heard him play in
thirty years ... on our few brief interim visits, we never stopped
talking long enough to play music. He was truly a joy to listen to
back when.

There is a simple pleasure hearing fluency in any language. Even
music

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

Tynan, careful with Peter. He is a psychopath and pathological liar. I guess
there is nothing wrong in exchanging posts but never, never give him your
address (which he might ask for eventually). A public service provided.

Cordially,
west

BTW: look up back copies of The Absolute Sound and Stereophile magazines and
you will find a plethora of recommended music for it's performance and
audiophile sound quality. A best of 2007, Desert Island Favorites, etc., are
published regularly for rock, jazz and classic. Good luck and be careful.

"Tynan AgviŠr" wrote in message
. 3.70...
Peter Wieck wrote in
: