Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Default Low cost mic/pre combo for recording home brew guit/vocs

I've been posed with a question about some cheapo pres and don't how
to answer. I think the mic collection contains an oktava 012 & 312, a
behringer pro2, and some dynamic mics.

What pre would match for those (matching price range too) for strictly
an acoustic guitar in a folkish style?

Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danny T wrote:

I've been posed with a question about some cheapo pres and don't how
to answer. I think the mic collection contains an oktava 012 & 312, a
behringer pro2, and some dynamic mics.

What pre would match for those (matching price range too) for strictly
an acoustic guitar in a folkish style?

Those that are the least audible when used as line amps, insert in the tape
monitor loop of yóur stereo if it still has one and listen, is it audible or
is it not.

Thanks

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Danny T" wrote in message

I've been posed with a question about some cheapo pres
and don't how to answer. I think the mic collection
contains an oktava 012 & 312, a behringer pro2, and some
dynamic mics.

What pre would match for those (matching price range too)
for strictly an acoustic guitar in a folkish style?

IME some of your best values in el-cheapo mic preamps is whatever Behringer
is putting in their el-cheapo consoles. In terms of cost per mic preamp, I
suspect that the Behringer UBB 1002 may be the leader. You get 5 mic preamps
for about $100, with a passable mixer thrown in. 2 of those mic preamps
have inserts, so you can use them like you would use a pair of stand-alone
mic preamps.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Jan 21, 12:59*am, "Peter Larsen" wrote:
Danny T wrote:
I've been posed with a question about some cheapo pres and don't how
to answer. I think the mic collection contains an oktava 012 & 312, a
behringer pro2, and some dynamic mics.
What pre would match for those (matching price range too) for strictly
an acoustic guitar in a folkish style?

Those that are the least audible when used as line amps, insert in the tape
monitor loop of yóur stereo if it still has one and listen, is it audible or
is it not.

Thanks

* Kind regards

* Peter Larsen

That's a good trick - never thought of that!

This is for a friend that is a few states over so I don't really have
any control over listening to his rig. Also, I just wanted to point
him in the right direction. I've got good toys myself.

Arny suggested the behringer pres but I'd have a hard time saying
those are any good for an acoustic. They often sound good on vocals
with cheap mics because you can push the gain and drive the vocal. I
think something like a presonus would do better (from what I have
heard). I haven't ever used that stuff. His range is about $100 - $200.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danny T wrote:

Arny suggested the behringer pres but I'd have a hard time saying
those are any good for an acoustic. They often sound good on vocals
with cheap mics because you can push the gain and drive the vocal. I
think something like a presonus would do better (from what I have
heard). I haven't ever used that stuff. His range is about $100 -
$200.

For a likely step up from the Behringer the next quality level is likely to
be Symetrix 302 or a second hand 202, referencing Scott. After that the RNP
sees to get favourable mention. Never bothered to check the price ... but
what's the context, stage or recording? - if the guy ends with upgrading to
the RNP anyway he is best of going with Arny's suggestion now and then being
able to afford better mics.

Note: I have not listened to any of the suggested alternatives, they just
happen to be on my short list of interesting preamps that are not
unrealistic.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Jan 21, 9:30*am, "Peter Larsen" wrote:
Danny T wrote:
[...]

He's recording some home recordings to sell when he gigs. The mics he
has are not bad - at least I like them. I like the 012 on guitar just
fine actually though of the cheap mics I think the Rode TV1 is really
great on acoustics. (He doesn't have one of those through)
Thanks for the advice and I'll pass it on.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Jan 21, 6:39*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Danny T" wrote in message

I've been posed with a question about some cheapo pres
and don't how to answer. I think the mic collection
contains an oktava 012 & 312, a behringer pro2, and some
dynamic mics.
Whatprewould match for those (matching price range too)
for strictly an acoustic guitar in a folkish style?

IME some of yourbestvalues in el-cheapo mic preamps is whatever Behringer
is putting in their el-cheapo consoles. *In terms of cost per mic preamp, I
suspect that the Behringer UBB 1002 may be the leader. You get 5 mic preamps
for about $100, with a passable mixer thrown in. *2 of those mic preamps
have inserts, so you can use them like you would use a pair of stand-alone
mic preamps.

While I respect you and your ears, and I have heard this before, is
there something that might be a bit better as a single pre-amp for the
same price that I might mention I was thinking something along the
presonus or m-audio single pres. Are they not better then what you
would find in a small mixer? My experience with Behringer mixers is
limited to the bigger eurodesks from about 10 years ago They didn't
suck for boards but the pres weren't so good.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rsmith@bsstudios.com is offline

On Jan 20, 10:02*pm, Danny T wrote:
I've been posed with a question about some cheapo pres and don't how
to answer. I think the mic collection contains an oktava 012 & 312, a
behringer pro2, and some dynamic mics.

What pre would match for those (matching price range too) for strictly
an acoustic guitar in a folkish style?

Thanks

Look to the latest Symetrix 302. They have the INA103 in them now.
Sounds pretty decent.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Danny T" wrote in message

On Jan 21, 6:39 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Danny T" wrote in message

I've been posed with a question about some cheapo pres
and don't how to answer. I think the mic collection
contains an oktava 012 & 312, a behringer pro2, and some
dynamic mics.
Whatprewould match for those (matching price range too)
for strictly an acoustic guitar in a folkish style?

IME some of yourbestvalues in el-cheapo mic preamps is
whatever Behringer is putting in their el-cheapo
consoles. In terms of cost per mic preamp, I suspect
that the Behringer UBB 1002 may be the leader. You get 5
mic preamps for about $100, with a passable mixer thrown
in. 2 of those mic preamps have inserts, so you can use
them like you would use a pair of stand-alone mic
preamps.

While I respect you and your ears,

I'm not proposing these as high-performance mic preamps. However, I have
both heard and measured them, and they don't suck too badly. They have
reasonably flat response. The mechanical centering of the channel strip tone
controls are the biggest issue for FR and that amounts to only a dB or so at
the frequency extremes.

Behringer MXB 1002 Mic input 20 Hz to 20 kHz, dB-0.47, +0.10

Behringer MXB 1002 Line input 20 Hz to 20 kHz, dB-0.42, +0.08

They don't have a lot noise or of nonlinear distortion, even at high gains.

SNR 20-20 88 dB
SNR A-weight 95 dB
Dynamic Range 20-20 91 dB
Dynamic Range A-weight 96 dB

Following measurements are from mic in to main line outs:

THD @-3dB 4 volts RMS out 0.007%

IM 18 & 20 KHz 1:1 0.08%

and I have heard this
before, is there something that might be a bit better as
a single pre-amp for the same price that I might mention
I was thinking something along the presonus or m-audio
single pres.

I have a Rolls MP-16, and don't see it as having any particular sonic
advantage.

Are they not better then what you would find
in a small mixer?

I picked up a Symmetrix SX-202 for my "premium" mic preamp. I think it might
be a bit more quiet and clean, particularly in high-EMI contexts.

My experience with Behringer mixers is
limited to the bigger eurodesks from about 10 years ago
They didn't suck for boards but the pres weren't so good.

I have no experience with Behringer mixers from that far back.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jan 21, 9:31*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
I'm not proposing these as high-performance mic preamps. However, I have
both heard and measured them, and they don't suck too badly.

On the very small format Behringers (eg Xenyx 502, 802 etc) there is a
gotcha. The power supply is a two wire with no ground. When used
without a ground connection (eg Edirol R1 recorder battery operated)
there is an added "bonus" of 20 to 25 dB mains hum, especially when
used with dynamic mics. It is simple to fix by making a ground connect
between the mains earth safety and a TRS sleeve on the mixer.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Danny T wrote:

I've been posed with a question about some cheapo pres and don't how
to answer. I think the mic collection contains an oktava 012 & 312, a
behringer pro2, and some dynamic mics.

What pre would match for those (matching price range too) for strictly
an acoustic guitar in a folkish style?

Nowadays it casn be difficult to tell what's cheap and to whom, but the
RNP is a winner in the less costly mic pre arena.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
drichard drichard is offline

Hi Danny,

M-Audio DMP-3 is inexpensive and does a very good job for the money.
About $160 or so for two channels.

Dean

On Jan 21, 12:02*am, Danny T wrote:
I've been posed with a question about some cheapo pres and don't how
to answer. I think the mic collection contains an oktava 012 & 312, a
behringer pro2, and some dynamic mics.

What pre would match for those (matching price range too) for strictly
an acoustic guitar in a folkish style?

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"drichard" wrote in message
Hi Danny,

M-Audio DMP-3 is inexpensive and does a very good job for the money.
About $160 or so for two channels.

Dean

On Jan 21, 12:02 am, Danny T wrote:
I've been posed with a question about some cheapo pres and don't how
to answer. I think the mic collection contains an oktava 012 & 312, a
behringer pro2, and some dynamic mics.

What pre would match for those (matching price range too) for strictly
an acoustic guitar in a folkish style?

Thanks

After reading favorable comments about the DMP-3 a few months ago, I picked
one up on E-Bay for about $125. I was pleasantly surprised. For the
purposes of the OP I think it would do just fine.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
haligonab haligonab is offline

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 22:02:48 -0800 (PST), Danny T
wrote:

I've been posed with a question about some cheapo pres and don't how
to answer. I think the mic collection contains an oktava 012 & 312, a
behringer pro2, and some dynamic mics.

What pre would match for those (matching price range too) for strictly
an acoustic guitar in a folkish style?

Thanks

Danny,

You didn't mention your friend's budget. I assume you're looking for
2-channel pres. The FMR RNP is a proven winner at $475. The Symetrix
SX202 gets decent reviews. A search of completed auctions on eBay
shows them selling for under $150. I can't speak from experience on
the SX202 but it's on my short list to try. I own, love and can
recommend the RNP. It really makes my mics shine, including a pair of
Oktava 012's.

SWB
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

wrote:
I've been posed with a question about some cheapo pres and don't how
to answer. I think the mic collection contains an oktava 012 & 312, a
behringer pro2, and some dynamic mics.

What pre would match for those (matching price range too) for strictly
an acoustic guitar in a folkish style?

Thanks

Danny,

You didn't mention your friend's budget. I assume you're looking for
2-channel pres. The FMR RNP is a proven winner at $475. The Symetrix
SX202 gets decent reviews. A search of completed auctions on eBay
shows them selling for under $150. I can't speak from experience on
the SX202 but it's on my short list to try. *I own, love and can
recommend the RNP. It really makes my mics shine, including a pair of
Oktava 012's.

SWB

I think he wants to stay at about 200 but the guy makes good cash.
I've been trying to convince him to by good stuff because of the
retained value.

Are those symetrix any good really? I've heard they are noisy. Then
again, he's recording in a basement in MO. I doubt it will be all that
great no matter what he uses:-)