Posted to rec.audio.pro
VTMusician VTMusician is offline

Default Logic Express Experience - Notation

Hi all. I'm asking this question for a vocalist/teacher friend who is
looking at buying a new Mac laptop.

She's wondering about the notation capabilities; since the Macs come
with Logic Express for a small cost, she's wondering if she can get by
with that as opposed to buying Finale or Sibelius.

She'd be arranging jazz scores: small combos, small vocal groups, and
the sort.

The Apple site doesn't explain much about the notation side of Logic
at all.

Thanks for the help!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
D C[_2_] D C[_2_] is offline

VTMusician wrote:

Hi all. I'm asking this question for a vocalist/teacher friend who is
looking at buying a new Mac laptop.

She's wondering about the notation capabilities; since the Macs come
with Logic Express for a small cost, she's wondering if she can get by
with that as opposed to buying Finale or Sibelius.

She'd be arranging jazz scores: small combos, small vocal groups, and
the sort.

I have an earlier version of Logic Express, and the notation feature is
quite usable. It also allows you to print them. I don't think she'd be
disappointed.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:48:46 -0800 (PST), VTMusician
wrote:

Hi all. I'm asking this question for a vocalist/teacher friend who is
looking at buying a new Mac laptop.

She's wondering about the notation capabilities; since the Macs come
with Logic Express for a small cost, she's wondering if she can get by
with that as opposed to buying Finale or Sibelius.

She'd be arranging jazz scores: small combos, small vocal groups, and
the sort.

The Apple site doesn't explain much about the notation side of Logic
at all.

It's often hard to learn technical detail from an Apple ad. :-) But
despite their marketing ethos that demands everything must appear
easy-peasy and non-technical, Logic Express is a powerful program with
a pretty good notation section. It lacks the refinement of a
score-publisher like Sibelius or Finale. But she'll get her
arrangements on paper perfectly efficiently.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
rakmanenuff rakmanenuff is offline

On Jan 19, 2:48 am, VTMusician wrote:

The Apple site doesn't explain much about the notation side of Logic
at all.

You CAN download the user's manual from Mac, in PDF format.
That should give a fairly detailed account of the features.