Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

Default Rack-mountable 4ch headphone amp

Looking for a 4ch rack-mountable headphone amp that is reasonably quiet,
has 1 stereo input per stereo headphone output and will drive 32Ohm "MoreME
Studio Deluxe" headphones during tracking of various styles of music.

I owned one of the Rolls amps in the past and it was noisy to the point of
being unusable. From Googling RAP, I've learned this is fairly typical of
these amps, at least in the $200 range. Much of the discussion of these
things on RAP is fairly dated however, and there are many products that I
never noticed around 5 years ago when I was last shopping:

Alto HPA6 ~ $120
ART 406 ~ $130
Behringer HA8000 ~ $140
DOD SR460H ~ $100
Fostex PH-50 ~ $170
Furman HA-6AB ~ $370
SM Pro Audio HP6 ~ $120

I'm looking to narrow down this list a bit and then to go trying before
buying.

Cheers,

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

David Grant wrote:
Looking for a 4ch rack-mountable headphone amp that is reasonably quiet,
has 1 stereo input per stereo headphone output and will drive 32Ohm "MoreME
Studio Deluxe" headphones during tracking of various styles of music.

Use whatever power amplifier you like. That old Hafler lying around in
the corner is fine. Take the 8 ohm output and run it into any number of
headphone distribution boxes. The ones from Telex are popular and
probably stocked by Markertek.

You can run up to four 32 ohm phones off an 8 ohm source, or 8 off a
4-ohm source. The low headphone impedance means you need a lot of current,
but amplifiers designed for speakers have current in spades.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
David Grant wrote:
Looking for a 4ch rack-mountable headphone amp that is reasonably quiet,
has 1 stereo input per stereo headphone output and will drive 32Ohm
"MoreME
Studio Deluxe" headphones during tracking of various styles of music.

Use whatever power amplifier you like. That old Hafler lying around in
the corner is fine. Take the 8 ohm output and run it into any number of
headphone distribution boxes. The ones from Telex are popular and
probably stocked by Markertek.

You can run up to four 32 ohm phones off an 8 ohm source, or 8 off a
4-ohm source. The low headphone impedance means you need a lot of
current,
but amplifiers designed for speakers have current in spades.
--scott

Problem is I'm looking for a separate input for each headphone, so I can do
custom mixes.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

David Grant wrote:
Looking for a 4ch rack-mountable headphone amp that is reasonably quiet,
has 1 stereo input per stereo headphone output and will drive 32Ohm
"MoreME
Studio Deluxe" headphones during tracking of various styles of music.

Use whatever power amplifier you like. That old Hafler lying around in
the corner is fine. Take the 8 ohm output and run it into any number of
headphone distribution boxes. The ones from Telex are popular and
probably stocked by Markertek.

You can run up to four 32 ohm phones off an 8 ohm source, or 8 off a
4-ohm source. The low headphone impedance means you need a lot of
current,
but amplifiers designed for speakers have current in spades.

Problem is I'm looking for a separate input for each headphone, so I can do
custom mixes.

So you basically want four headphone amps, but you don't really care how
much current drive?

The Q-Mix is designed for this sort of thing... Langevin also makes a very
expensive mixing system that does this well.

You might as well go with an all-in-one solution since it won't be all that
much more expensive than just buying four good amps. Especially with the
Q-Mix.
--scot

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rsmith@bsstudios.com is offline

On Jan 16, 8:51*am, "David Grant" wrote:
Looking for a 4ch rack-mountable headphone amp that is reasonably quiet,
has 1 stereo input per stereo headphone output and will drive 32Ohm "MoreME
Studio Deluxe" headphones during tracking of various styles of music.

I owned one of the Rolls amps in the past and it was noisy to the point of
being unusable. From Googling RAP, I've learned this is fairly typical of
these amps, at least in the $200 range. Much of the discussion of these
things on RAP is fairly dated however, and there are many products that I
never noticed around 5 years ago when I was last shopping:

Alto HPA6 ~ $120
ART 406 ~ $130
Behringer HA8000 ~ $140
DOD SR460H ~ $100
Fostex PH-50 ~ $170
Furman HA-6AB ~ $370
SM Pro Audio HP6 ~ $120

Rane HC-4S. $250

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios / SoundSmith Labs
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

Problem is I'm looking for a separate input for each headphone, so I can
do
custom mixes.

So you basically want four headphone amps, but you don't really care how
much current drive?

Five or Six headphone amps, yes. As for current, as long as each one can
drive one set of cans reasonably well, we're good.

The Q-Mix is designed for this sort of thing... Langevin also makes a very
expensive mixing system that does this well.

Q-Mix would work, although I wouldn't use the mixing featu I want to do
the custom mixes back in the control room through my DAW, amplify, and send
to the live room (unbalanced, however it's a short run). I'll give the
musicians an attenuator knob so they can control the master volume, but
that's all.

You might as well go with an all-in-one solution since it won't be all
that
much more expensive than just buying four good amps. Especially with the
Q-Mix.

I suppose I could buy 10 or 12 channels of larger power amps.. That seems
like a waste of money and space, however.

It's not that expensive to build an ok sounding stereo headphone amp... How
hard can it be to put 6 of them in one chassis and run them off a common
power supply?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

On Jan 16, 10:51*am, "David Grant" wrote:
[...]

Dave, I'm not sure it'll help, but if you can handle JUST 4 mixes, the
Behringer HA4700 allows individual inserts of mono signals on each
channel. I use it and the Samson version of the same headphone amp in
our studio, and they work great... Unless you plug in a pair of AKG
240's or somesuch.

Each channel has 3 outputs, plus there's a stereo-input that can be
mixed with the inserts on each channel. If you need more than that...
buy a second one?

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_11_] Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_11_] is offline

"coreybenson" wrote in message

Dave, I'm not sure it'll help, but if you can handle JUST 4
mixes, the
Behringer HA4700 allows individual inserts of mono signals on
each
channel. I use it and the Samson version of the same headphone
amp in
our studio, and they work great... Unless you plug in a pair
of AKG
240's or somesuch.

Each channel has 3 outputs, plus there's a stereo-input that
can be
mixed with the inserts on each channel. If you need more than
that...
buy a second one?

Corey
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
But that set of 240's will come in handy.
I use the HA4400 with the more me in the live room ( and
sometimes more than one per channel) and then I plug my AKG
240's into the front panel to hear each custom mix. Much more
sane level in the control room this way and I am bridging the
same mix the punk in the cans gets.

peace
dawg

peace

Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

Problem is I'm looking for a separate input for each headphone, so I can do
custom mixes.

The Behringer HA4700 can do that via it's individual aux input (placed on
the front). You seem to have had some problems with a Rolls but in my
experience this is not a place where you need to spend much money. I have
preamps and mics for $30.000 (maybe that's just the mics actually, terrible)
but I have never considered buying a better headphone amp.
I think the HA4700 is about 110 dollars but of course it's only 4 individual
channels as opposed to HA8000s´ 8.
I choose the HA4700 because it has better features, to me anyway. On the
8000 you have to choose between input 1 or 2. On 4700 you can blend them
together and you can choose to mute L and R seperately which is cool if
you're recording vocals with a singer who sings with one can off (less
spill).

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"David Grant" wrote in message
[...]

I've had little to no experience recording in a band setting in a
professional studio, so I'm wondering the following:

How important is it to setup panning in the talents' cans? Many of these
units seem to have a mono aux input for each individual headphone output,
and this obviously removes any ability to do custom stereo panning in each
custom mix. I imagine it would be useful to space things out in the
headphone mix to improve clarity of individual instruments. This is why I
was hoping for a unit that has a stereo input for each individual headphone
amplifier.

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_11_] Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_11_] is offline

"David Grant" wrote in message

I've had little to no experience recording in a band setting
in a professional studio, so I'm wondering the following:

How important is it to setup panning in the talents' cans?
Many of these units seem to have a mono aux input for each
individual headphone output, and this obviously removes any
ability to do custom stereo panning in each custom mix. I
imagine it would be useful to space things out in the
headphone mix to improve clarity of individual instruments.
This is why I was hoping for a unit that has a stereo input
for each individual headphone amplifier.

Dave

The behringer HA4400, the old one I own, has two sets of
stereo inputs. One for the program which is on the back and
feeds all 4 phones channels. This is where you put your
recorder output (queue mix) so the stuff you already recorded
is in the cans for the players to play too.

The front aux inputs are also stereo. This is where you feed
the individual mixes for each channel. I wired the tip and
ring together so the custom stereo aux mixes from "my mixer"
can be sent to both cans. There is a ballance pot on each
channel that lets you ballance how much queue and how much
custom mix are in the cans. Then you have to put your click in
somewhere too. My mixer has a channel to allow me to put the
required amount of click in each custom mix.

In summary I send a stereo queue mix and mono'd stereo
instrument and mono click to the cans. Getting the phone mix
is crucial for a good performance. I usually listen to the
cans mixes while the band is playing and I ask the musicians
if they can hear what they need frequently. I also use more-me
phones in the live room and have plugged two of them in the
back and one AKG-240 in the front of one channel. No problems
although the manual says 100 ohm min.

If you are planning to send four stereo mixes from the board
you will need four stereo sends, in other words 8 aux buss's.

peace
dawg

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:29:05 -0500, Deputy Dumbya Dawg wrote
(in article ):

Rane makes a good one.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rob Reedijk Rob Reedijk is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

The Q-Mix is designed for this sort of thing... Langevin also makes a very
expensive mixing system that does this well.

You might as well go with an all-in-one solution since it won't be all that
much more expensive than just buying four good amps. Especially with the
Q-Mix.

I have a Q-Mix. Why doesn't everyone?

Really, these units are one of the best bargains out there for what they
accomplish. Sometimes I leave the unit in the musicians hands so that
they can adjust their own mixes---yes a touchy issue since you don't
want them to start focussing on this sort of thing.

A neat trick with the Q-Mix is the effects mix. I never pump effects
into that channel. I use it as a stereo inject. I often don't use
the main mix inputs at all. This way you actually get 5 injected
channels. You can use the effects "inject" for drums and the other
4 can be used for bass, guitar, keys, vocals, for example.
To run it this way, it helps if you have a mixer in front of it that has
enough sends per channel so that you can do this. Let's say inject A is
vocals, then you might set up send 1 on your board to go to inject A. You
can then run all vocals including backups into Inject A. Yes---I know
you are not likely to be recording backing vocals during the beds, but
it can happen and you can apply the example to other instruments such as
guitars. A pre-fader send, of course, is preferred for this.

The more traditional way of using the Q-Mix is to send a good monitor mix
to the main ins on the Q-Mix and just have the Injects set up for
channels such as bass or kick drum. This way if the drummer needs to hear
more bass than the rest of the band, you can do it. Or maybe both the
bass player and drummer need to hear more kick.

Love the Q-Mix. My only wish is sometimes it had more injects which is
spoiled behaviour on my part. But then, the Q-Mix is an affordable
version, with fewer channels, based on the Cue-mix systems (doesn't Mytek
make this) where each performer has their own cue-mix mixer in front
of them with 16 channels at their finger tips.

Rob R.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jan 17, 2:00*pm, "David Grant" wrote:
[...]

Hey, Dave... Stereo is just not that important in my experience. Most
of the people I'm working with don't worry about it at all. Singers
like it when they're laying down vocal tracks...

Here's another option:

http://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/HMX56/

I'm replacing both my HA's with this unit. I was really hoping someone
else would chime in with thoughts/opinions about them, but they may
fit your bill really well.

Good luck!

Corey

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

Hey, Dave... Stereo is just not that important in my experience. Most
of the people I'm working with don't worry about it at all. Singers
like it when they're laying down vocal tracks...

Here's another option:

http://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/HMX56/

I'm replacing both my HA's with this unit. I was really hoping someone
else would chime in with thoughts/opinions about them, but they may
fit your bill really well.

Good luck!

Corey

Correct me if I'm wrong... it appears Mackie bought the Q-Mix from OZ Audio
and renamed it HMX56?