Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fenix Fenix is offline

Default Mixing desk + DAW routing

Hi, im currently setting up my home studio, i have:

a 16:8:2 mixer yamaha rm500
logic 5.5
sound card 8:8
outboard compressor

although its completely possble to just input any items i wish to
record directly into the sound card, i would like to incorporate my
mixing desk into the process, mainly for learning purposes.

i am thinking how i am best routing this.

i send all 8 outputs to the first 8 tracks on the mixer, and routing
different tracks in logic to each channel as i see fit, say, all the
basses to ch 3+4.

route inputs 1-6 of my sound card to the outputs of the mixers bus's
1-6 so i can plug in my hardware synths, guitars + vocs etc to
channels 9-16 on the main part of the mixer, then route to those 6
bus's for recording.

use output 7+8 to run back into the soundcard on inputs 7+8 for stereo
recording of the entire mix.

if i do this, is there a way i can incorporate the compressor so i can
route a set of sounds through it?

any ideas of a better way to route this would be greatly appreciated,
or point me in the right direction to advice on routing mixers to
DAWs.

thanks

LT

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Jan 14, 6:50 pm, Fenix wrote:

a 16:8:2 mixer yamaha rm500
logic 5.5
sound card 8:8
outboard compressor

i send all 8 outputs to the first 8 tracks on the mixer, and routing
different tracks in logic to each channel as i see fit, say, all the
basses to ch 3+4.

route inputs 1-6 of my sound card to the outputs of the mixers bus's
1-6 so i can plug in my hardware synths, guitars + vocs etc to
channels 9-16 on the main part of the mixer, then route to those 6
bus's for recording.
use output 7+8 to run back into the soundcard on inputs 7+8 for stereo
recording of the entire mix.

That makes reasonable sense, though it probably makes more sense to
use the main L/R outputs of the mixer rather than bus 7-8 for your
full mix to the sound card.

Does the mixer have direct outputs or insert jacks? That might be a
better way to connect mixer inputs to the sound card for recording.
The best thing would be to set up a patchbay configured so that the
way you normally set things up you don't need any patch cables, and
then you can use patch cables to deviate from your standard setup when
necessary, without having to switch cables on the mixer.

if i do this, is there a way i can incorporate the compressor so i can
route a set of sounds through it?

Does the mixer have Inserts? That's the most common way to put a
compressor into the signal chain. If not, you can always patch the
compressor between the sound card output and mixer input if you want
to compress a track that's already recorded, or patch it between the
mixer output and sound card input if you want to record a track with
compression.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Fenix wrote:
any ideas of a better way to route this would be greatly appreciated,

or point me in the right direction to advice on routing mixers to
DAWs.

Yep - don't bother !

But if you really want to, set up the LAST 8 channels as 'tape' ins, as they
are likely to be more convenient to leave undisturbed, and save the first
channels for stuff that you plug in and out often.

geoff