Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bobo Bobo is offline

Default How to convert 24/48 - 16/44.1 on Linux?

Hey,

I need to convert 24 bit 48K two channel audio to Cd spec stuff on
linux. I've got ecasound but can't seem to beat it into submission.

Does anyone have a specific incantation for ecasound or another
suggestion?

Thankx
Dick Norton
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bobo Bobo is offline

Thanks for the response. Does your sox work with 24 bit .wav files? Mine
is Version 12.17.7. I was under the impression that sox dind't do 24 bit
files. Mine fails with
"Sorry, don't understand .wav size"

Regards,

Chel van Gennip wrote:
Bobo wrote:
Hey,

I need to convert 24 bit 48K two channel audio to Cd spec stuff on
linux. I've got ecasound but can't seem to beat it into submission.

Does anyone have a specific incantation for ecasound or another
suggestion?

sox inputfile.wav -r 44100 -s -w outputfile.wav

More options in mman sox

Posted to rec.audio.pro
George Jones IV George Jones IV is offline

Bobo wrote:
Hey,

I need to convert 24 bit 48K two channel audio to Cd spec stuff on
linux. I've got ecasound but can't seem to beat it into submission.

Does anyone have a specific incantation for ecasound or another
suggestion?

Thankx
Dick Norton

D/L and install Audacity
(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/linux). Use it to do sample
rate conversion/bit depth conversion.

Also makes for a nice audio editor.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
philicorda[_4_] philicorda[_4_] is offline

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 07:51:56 -0700, George Jones IV wrote:

Bobo wrote:
Hey,

I need to convert 24 bit 48K two channel audio to Cd spec stuff on
linux. I've got ecasound but can't seem to beat it into submission.

Does anyone have a specific incantation for ecasound or another
suggestion?

Thankx
Dick Norton

D/L and install Audacity
(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/linux). Use it to do sample
rate conversion/bit depth conversion.

Also makes for a nice audio editor.

Rezound is worth a look too. You can do all the normal format
conversions. I prefer it to Audacity because it has better metering
options, the editor is easier to use and you can record macros to repeat
operations. It's more a dedicated 2-track editor than a hybrid
multitracker.

Rezound is not really developed any more, so it hasn't changed much for a
few years except for bug fixes. Most of the major distros should still
have packages for it though, I know Ubuntu does.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Corfield Richard Corfield is offline

On 2008-01-16, philicorda wrote:

Rezound is worth a look too. You can do all the normal format
conversions. I prefer it to Audacity because it has better metering
options, the editor is easier to use and you can record macros to repeat
operations. It's more a dedicated 2-track editor than a hybrid
multitracker.

There's sox which is a swiss-army-knife tool for conversion. It's great
for automating and you could write a script or alias to do it if you're
doing that conversion a lot, but for one-offs Audacity is easier to use
even if it probably takes longer.

sox inputFile.wav -r 48000 -3 outputFile.wav

to go to 48k/24 I think. (24 is 3 bytes)

It's powerful. I'm writing something using the Java sound API to convert
the 4 channels from the Zoom H2 to Dolby Pro-Logic so I can see what it
sounds like using some of the test files on the web - see if the effect
is useful or not. It's an interesting task anyway, but I may have been
quicker using a shell script and sox to do it. Would have generated
loads of intermediate files then recombined them hopefully with the right
gain and phase.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard Corfield
_/ _/ _/ _/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Corfield Richard Corfield is offline

Default Zoom H2 to Pro-Logic (was How to convert 24/48 - 16/44.1 on Linux?

On 2008-01-16, Richard Corfield wrote:
I'm writing something using the Java sound API to convert
the 4 channels from the Zoom H2 to Dolby Pro-Logic so I can see what it
sounds like using some of the test files on the web - see if the effect
is useful or not. It's an interesting task anyway

I've just tried it on the Ukelele example from the O'Reilly review and
I'm quite impressed with the result.

For the kind of sound effects recording I quite fancy doing the H2 would
be too insensitive, but the ability to produce Dolby Pro-Logic tracks is
an interesting feature.

I'll try the thunder storm next which is more interesting.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard Corfield
_/ _/ _/ _/
Posted to rec.audio.pro
charlie.barr charlie.barr is offline

On Jan 17, 2:17 am, Richard Corfield
On 2008-01-16, philicorda wrote:

[...]

Use sox to go from Zoom H2 to Dolby Surround? Please share. Currently,
I have been playing with audacity - 6 channel wav (2 blank channels) -
mp3surround, but I would MUCH rather go dolby surround... especially

if I can use sox. I have been seaching google for +sox +"pro logic"
for days when I can across this post. Cheap macosx tools are lacking
in this area.

cvk
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2008-02-02, charlie.barr wrote:

Use sox to go from Zoom H2 to Dolby Surround? Please share. Currently,
I have been playing with audacity - 6 channel wav (2 blank channels) -
mp3surround, but I would MUCH rather go dolby surround... especially

if I can use sox. I have been seaching google for +sox +"pro logic"
for days when I can across this post. Cheap macosx tools are lacking
in this area.

I didn't do it with Sox, instead in Java. I can tidy the source up some
time and find somewhere to host it if needed. It's rough and ready at
the moment, especially as I didn't work out how to get from a stream of
floating point numbers into a WAV file in Java.

You'd have to split the input files up into mono tracks, then make
various copies with various gains and phase inversion then mix them all
back together, preferably taking into account that the new data may
clip. If SOX has a Middle Side combiner tool then it would help as it
does A+B and A-B which will make things simpler for you.

The maths in Java was as pasted below with some of the Java-ish bits
removed to make it more legible.

REAR_NEAR_FACTOR = Math.sqrt(2.0 / 3.0);
REAR_FAR_FACTOR = Math.sqrt(1.0 / 3.0);

// Somewhere in the fetch loop, actually it's a pull architecture so
// this is the method to pull a new pair of samples

l = Next sample from Front Left;
r = Next sample from Front Right;
ls = Next sample from Rear Left;
rs = Next sample from Rear Right;

// Lt = 1.0*L - 0.8165*Ls - 0.5774*Rs
// Rt = 1.0*R + 0.5774*Ls + 0.8165*Rs
Lt = l - REAR_NEAR_FACTOR * ls - REAR_FAR_FACTOR * rs;
Rt = r + REAR_FAR_FACTOR * ls + REAR_NEAR_FACTOR * rs;

Output Lt on the Left output;
Output Rt on the Right output;

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard Corfield