Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Default Audio for Video

After my first recent experience providing audio for video, I have received
cudos for the quality of the sound.

I thanked them politely, but knew inside that it was just average content
compared to my usual work for audio only (making CD's).

Is the standard for audio for video really as low as that?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message...

Is the standard for audio for video really as low as that?

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Carey Carlan" wrote ...
After my first recent experience providing audio for
video, I have received cudos for the quality of the sound.

I thanked them politely, but knew inside that it was just
average content compared to my usual work for audio
only (making CD's).

Is the standard for audio for video really as low as that?

Typically, but there are some islands of quality.
I got involved in video specifically because of the
appalling quality of the audio.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Carey Carlan wrote:
After my first recent experience providing audio for video, I have received
cudos for the quality of the sound.

I thanked them politely, but knew inside that it was just average content
compared to my usual work for audio only (making CD's).

Is the standard for audio for video really as low as that?

Just turn on a TV and listen some time. For a really good time, watch
the halftime show at the Super Bowl, the Grammies, or some other event
with live music. Five will get you ten you'll hear hum.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

Carey Carlan wrote:
After my first recent experience providing audio for video, I have received
cudos for the quality of the sound.

I thanked them politely, but knew inside that it was just average content
compared to my usual work for audio only (making CD's).

Is the standard for audio for video really as low as that?

Pretty much.

Video people think that the important part of the video is the moving
pictures and don't learn much if anything about audio.

They have no concept that a shotgun microphone isn't like a telephoto
lens. For them what isn't in the picture doesn't exist, unlike audio
which bleeds into everything.

Those few who actually listen will seek out someone who knows how to
record and hire that person. In this case--YOU!

I get jobs all the time from videographers who have learned (usually
the hard way) that they can't concentrate on both the video and audio
at the same time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Carey Carlan wrote:

I can see how working live might have some limitations, but this was a
concert with in-place dress rehearsal and plenty of time to edit and tweak
after.

I'm guessing it's more of an economic "get it out there now, cheap"
question more than a "make it sound good" question.

I think it's more of a cultural problem than anything else. Video guys
don't seem to consider sound to be important as long as people can understand
the dialogue.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Jan 12, 5:20 pm, Carey Carlan wrote:

I can see how working live might have some limitations, but this was a
concert with in-place dress rehearsal and plenty of time to edit and tweak
after.

I'm guessing it's more of an economic "get it out there now, cheap"
question more than a "make it sound good" question.

Video gear and production is so expensive, they just don't budget for
good audio. Shows that have a fixed setup and do it week after week
like Austin City Limits do a pretty good job.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

Carey Carlan wrote:
After my first recent experience providing audio for video, I have
received cudos for the quality of the sound.

I thanked them politely, but knew inside that it was just average content
compared to my usual work for audio only (making CD's).

Is the standard for audio for video really as low as that?

"When movies added sound, a department was created to nurture it. That
department sitll exists today. When radio added pictures, sound already
was perfect and needed no further attention!" ;-)

Long ago, a senior TV mixer-engineer used to say "strive for mediocrity"
;-)

Of course, that's not at all really true. I learned early on that TV audio
folks get kudos for good, mediocre and sometimes, even bad work. We know
the difference and learn to measure others by their "compliments".

Sometimes video sound is quite good. Austin City Limits does a
consistently good job. In the end, it comes down to money. I mixed a show
that was re-mixed from 24-track as needed in post-production. They could
take their time in a facility that cost a few hundred dollars per hour. At
my end, the production cost $3000 per hour! My job was to get it right
every time and not delay the process.

Always try to give 'em the best you can, under the circumstances. Stay at
least one step ahead of the problems, be ready when it's "time", and never
have to be told what to do. These are the marks of a real professional.

--
~
~ Roy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Roy W. Rising wrote in
:

Always try to give 'em the best you can, under the circumstances.
Stay at least one step ahead of the problems, be ready when it's
"time", and never have to be told what to do. These are the marks of
a real professional.

All excellent advice.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] Willie.TV63@gmail.com is offline

Obviously no video pros in this group. You have no idea.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Obviously no video pros in this group. You have no idea.

Explain further?
--scott
(definitely not a video pro at all)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
Obviously no video pros in this group. You have no idea.

This random thought brought to you by WillieTV63 who is
apparently refering to himself.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] staircaserock@yahoo.com is offline

On Jan 13, 1:05*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
wrote ...

Obviously no video pros in this group. You have no idea.

This random thought brought to you by WillieTV63 who is
apparently refering to himself.

Video takes precedent over audio on most shoots for many reasons. one
of them being due to the fact that video or film cannot be as easily
(or inexpensively) manipulated after acquisition. It is true many
amateur and pro videographers know little about sound, This is why
every pro shoot has a minimum two person sound team. What they dont
get on location can be foleyed and ADR'd. Now when your talking about
recording live musical performance, You obviously use audio
professionals that understand things like phantom power, tube/ribbon/
condenser mics, mic patterns, pre-amps, compresssion, de-essers,
limiters, EQ's, Bit-rate, and thats just a start. I am not an audio
pro, but I am a film/video pro. Carey, so you are an audio pro
(engineer ?). You might be interested in some of the work my friends
are doing, High Definition Audio for video over at DTS. Go to the web
site and see some of the projects coming out in 5.1 and 7.1 surround.
(7.1 96k /24bit on Blu-ray + HD-DVD). Seems quality almost always come
down to budget (which brings talent), I think your ready for some
higher end projects and clients. Good luck, S.E.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve House[_2_] Steve House[_2_] is offline

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:41:24 -0800 (PST), Mike Rivers
wrote:

On Jan 12, 5:20 pm, Carey Carlan wrote:

I can see how working live might have some limitations, but this was a
concert with in-place dress rehearsal and plenty of time to edit and tweak
after.

I'm guessing it's more of an economic "get it out there now, cheap"
question more than a "make it sound good" question.

Video gear and production is so expensive, they just don't budget for
good audio. Shows that have a fixed setup and do it week after week
like Austin City Limits do a pretty good job.

Also the various concerts on HDNet and PBS "Soundstage" do a pretty
good job.

FA: Atari Video Music C240 Audio / Video Component Mark SG Marketplace 0 November 11th 06 10:35 PM
Audio for video NG? Neil Rutman Pro Audio 2 August 23rd 05 06:01 PM
Playing audio/video directly from computer through stereo/video system via WiFi [email protected] Tech 2 February 17th 05 09:33 AM
Audio to video Pat Tech 2 November 16th 04 05:03 PM
FA: Audio-Technica Microphones, Pro Video and Audio Gear Craig Berlin Marketplace 0 October 19th 04 01:05 PM