Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
braitman braitman is offline

Default Groovy Record Cleaning Kit - Opinions?

Folks:

I was looking to replace my D4 Discwasher brush-and-liquid system with
something adequately updated. All I've found is the Groovy Record
Cleaning Kit, sold by Bags Unlimited. I was a bit surprised when I
received it to see that it requires you to spray the alcohol-based
liquid directly onto the vinyl, then use a very tiny soft bristle
brush to "work the solution into the grooves and over the record
surface." Then I'm supposed to use a lint-free cloth to wipe the
surface dry.

This sounds like contrary to everything I've known before about vinyl
disc care. The Discwasher system uses a non-alcohol liquid to lightly
moisten the textured fabric of the cleaning brush (more a textured
fabric attached to a wooden handle). The brush is just supposed to be
moist, not wet. The brush is then used on the disc as it spins, first
on one edge to wipe up the dust and dirt, and then on the opposite
edge to dry.

The Discwasher system is very non-invasive yet has always been
effective for my relatively clean discs. (I'm not looking to resurrect
discs with mud, grease, and glue, jeez!) This Groovy system looks very
old school, and I'm not inclined to use it.

Any comments, pro or con? Anything comparable to Discwasher out there?

Thanks!

Stephen M.H. Braitman

www.MusicAppraisals.com

www.NeedleScreech.com

record cleaning machines mark brooks Pro Audio 7 October 12th 07 12:25 AM
Record Cleaning ScottW Audio Opinions 45 June 12th 06 02:32 AM
Record-cleaning solution? mc Pro Audio 29 February 7th 06 09:19 AM
Wanted Record cleaning machine cpetrillo Marketplace 0 June 8th 04 03:14 AM