Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jimmy Lee Jimmy Lee is offline

Default Bad Patchbays?

I have 3 patchbays here that were handed down to me. They are AP
Audio brand (super cheap). They patch bays are in half normal mode.
All equipment is balanced including the patchbays. Ok so here is my
simple test:

1) Plug in amp to back of patch bay, bottom row (TRS cables).
2) Plug in mixer output to back of patch bay, top row above the amp
connections (TRS cables).
3) Plug keyboard 1 into mixer, music plays, all is good.
4) Plug keyboard 2 into front of patch bay, bottom row where the amp
connections are in the back. Here is where the problem is. If I use
TR cables to patch, the CD player music gets canceled out and I only
heard the keyboard, which is how I understand the patchbay is supposed
to work. But if I use TRS cables to patch, I hear both the CD player
and the keyboard, both of their volumes are lower; I'm pretty sure
this is not how it's supposed to work.

All connections on all 3 patchbays all behave the same way. So here
are my questions. Please bare in mind I'm somewhat of a newb to patch
bays.

1) TRS cables should react the same when patching as TR cables,
correct? (I mean in terms of breaking the main connection).
2) If I decide to use these patch bays with TR cables (because I am
poor), what are the implications? What am I losing?

Thanks,

Jimmy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jimmy Lee Jimmy Lee is offline

3) Plug keyboard 1 into mixer, music plays, all is good.

Sorry, I should have said CD player here, not keyboard 1.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Jimmy Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Your patchbay is the wrong way round. As it is now, the top row should be
the output to the amp and the bottom row the mixer output. You could flip it
180 degrees or swap all the connections on the back.

There is also something funny with the mixer outputs as using a TR jack
shorts it out, so it is probably wired unbalanced.

Gareth.

All connections on all 3 patchbays all behave the same way. So here
are my questions. Please bare in mind I'm somewhat of a newb to patch
bays.

1) TRS cables should react the same when patching as TR cables,
correct? (I mean in terms of breaking the main connection).
2) If I decide to use these patch bays with TR cables (because I am
poor), what are the implications? What am I losing?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jimmy Lee Jimmy Lee is offline

There is also something funny with the mixer outputs as using a TR jack
shorts it out, so it is probably wired unbalanced.

You were right about the whole thing being wired unbalanced. I
couldn't get it to work at all correctly in the de-normalled mode so I
swapped all the cables to TR and all the modes are working as they
should.

Thanks,

Jimmy

QE: TT vs 1/4" for Patchbays News Server Pro Audio 8 July 17th 07 01:14 AM
Normalling Patchbays. [email protected] Pro Audio 5 April 20th 07 11:24 AM
MIDI patchbays MKL52 Pro Audio 1 August 1st 06 10:29 PM
Patchbays CN Pro Audio 3 July 6th 06 06:09 PM
FA: ADC Patchbays/Punchblocks ForRhouse Pro Audio 0 August 7th 03 08:23 AM