Posted to rec.audio.pro
scotteh scotteh is offline

Default Record VST Synth in Real Time in Sonar 4

Hi.

Im new to soft synths and just bought a really nice one called the OP-
X Pro. Very amazing bit of software.

First I switched Sonar 4 to use ASIO drivers and got the latency down
to 10ms which was good enough to play in real time. (although I had
to boost it back up to at least 20 or higher to do audio recording/
playback) Then I spent a day programming sounds. Now I want to record
some stuff. Suddenly I have a problem! There doesnt seem to be any way
to record what Im playing in real time.

I found a way to record midi data then tell it to bounce to a track,
but that is a VERY slow way of doing it. It has to render the entire
track for the entire length of the song, even if I just want to hear
one note. I have to play and record as midi, then render, then edit
out just the part I want and THEN I can finally hear it! It can be 5
minutes before I can hear one short phrase!

So... is there some way I can just arm a track, hit Record and PLAY
like a normal musician? Doing it in this convoluted way has totally
killed desire to write music!

XP Pro
AMD 3400+
Emu 1212m PCI
Sonar 4 Producer
1 GB RAM

Thanks!!

Scott

www.scottfromcanada.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave Dave is offline

Hi Scott,

No, it's not supposed to be that difficult..

You need a midi track and an audio track to record a soft synth

The input of the midi track should be set to the input the keyboard is
connected to.

The output of the midi track should be routed to the midi input of the synth

The synth should be inserted in the effects bin of the audio track, and
the audio outputs routed from there to your monitoring.

You may have to select the 'input echo' button on the midi track before
you can hear the synth live.

Arm the midi track and record on it.
When you're done, press play, and the track will send the recorded midi
data to the synth so you will hear what you recorded, no need to render
anything until you have finished editing.

To export an audio track, just choose File Export Audio
and make sure the source is set to something that includes the audio
outputs of your synth, and you're done..

Dave.