Posted to rec.audio.pro
degarmo degarmo is offline

Default My first post (new member)

Hi all,

I absolutely love good music but am by no means technically or
electronically savvy in terms of understanding all the electrical
jargon, e.g., I am just now learning about 4 ohms versus 8 ohms etc.,
but want to learn more of the basics, which leads me to my first
question. 1.) What is a good online resource that someone would
recommend as a good place to learn about the technical side of hifi
audio?

In the past I have used Rotel and paradigm and then upgraded to B&W
keeping the rotel. I am in the process of researching what to buy to
build a new system as I sold my former system. For the past few weeks
I have been researching various hifi companies and their gear to try
to determine the best bang for the buck. Obviously, one is limited by
how much one can afford to spend. My question to you is, what is the
best bang for the buck in terms of sound quality? To give you some
idea of the level of gear I can afford, I am looking and comparing the
following brands: Rotel, Arcam, Parasound, NAD, Adcom & Marantz. From
your own knowledge and experience, are there other comparable brands
out there that I should also be including in my search for the best
sound for the money, and if so, which ones?

Also, it should be mentioned that I prefer an integrated to an amp/
preamp setup. Please let me know what your top three picks are (brand-
wise) in terms of best sound for the money.

Thanks and I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Michael W.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phildo Phildo is offline

"degarmo" wrote in message
Thanks and I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Try finding a home audio group as it is professional sound that is discussed
here (such as concerts or recording) and not home hifi. You'll find more
like-minded people and a better source of information at groups dedicated to
domestic audio..

Phildo

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"degarmo" wrote in message...

Obviously, one is limited by
how much one can afford to spend. My question to you is, what is the
best bang for the buck in terms of sound quality?

;-)

_______

From: degarmo
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: My first post (new member)
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:31:58 -0800 (PST)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message...

Troll?

Probably not... but hopefully. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:

Michael, please ignore the insulting impostor. Based upon your interests, I
would suggest you post your question in rec.audio.opinion.

You have to be joking !

Although it is a troubled group,

Understatement of the year !

there are some good people there who share your interests.

I suggest uk.rec.audio even if he's not British.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tubes

Another buzzard fake from Brian, who pretends to be morein and who doesn't
even know that the .pro is an abbreviation of production:

Soundhaspriority wrote:
On Dec 30, 1:31 pm, degarmo babbled...
I absolutely love good music but am by no means technically or
electronically savvy in terms of understanding all the electrical
jargon, e
Thanks and I look forward to reading your suggestions.

My suggestion? Get lost, this group is for professionals only.

Robert Morein
Audio Professional
(215) 646-4894

Posted to rec.audio.pro

degarmo wrote:

Hi all,

Welcome to the usenet!

I absolutely love good music but am by no means technically or
electronically savvy in terms of understanding all the electrical
jargon, e.g., I am just now learning about 4 ohms versus 8 ohms etc.,
but want to learn more of the basics, which leads me to my first
question. 1.) What is a good online resource that someone would
recommend as a good place to learn about the technical side of hifi
audio?

Rec.audio.tech would be a better newsgroup, it is roomy enough to contain
this and it is a bit far from audio production. But you ask the pro's so the
suggestion - note: suggestion for listening to, rather than
"recommendation" - you get is a la no nonsense monitoring system setup.

In the past I have used Rotel and paradigm and then upgraded to B&W
keeping the rotel. I am in the process of researching what to buy to
build a new system as I sold my former system.

Don't do it like that another time, it leaves you with far too many
variables to evaluate.

For the past few weeks
I have been researching various hifi companies and their gear to try
to determine the best bang for the buck.

Behringer studio amp, KEF loudspeakers, Cambrigde CD-player. Just my best
guess. I haven't listened to the amp, I don't have current versions of
anything KEF nor of the cambridge CD-player. You may also need a switchbox
if you want to use more than one signal source.

Obviously, one is limited by
how much one can afford to spend. My question to you is, what is the
best bang for the buck in terms of sound quality?

Reduce the number of knobs on the equipment. Knobs are incredibly costly.

Also, it should be mentioned that I prefer an integrated to an amp/
preamp setup. Please let me know what your top three picks are (brand-
wise) in terms of best sound for the money.

No way, the above is an example strategy choice that is likely to be good,
your personal mileage may vary wildly. A preamp is just a box used to
increase the distortion and/or to allow remote operation of the volume
control and input selector.

Thanks and I look forward to reading your suggestions

Note: I have set the followup-to: flag to point at rec.audio.tech.

Michael W.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:

Another buzzard fake from Brian, who pretends to be morein and who doesn't
even know that the .pro is an abbreviation of production:

And that rec isn't recording most likely too.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

degarmo wrote:
I absolutely love good music but am by no means technically or
electronically savvy in terms of understanding all the electrical
jargon, e.g., I am just now learning about 4 ohms versus 8 ohms etc.,
but want to learn more of the basics, which leads me to my first
question. 1.) What is a good online resource that someone would
recommend as a good place to learn about the technical side of hifi
audio?

First of all, you're in the wrong newsgroup. Try rec.audio.high-end,
which is about home stereo. This is a group for audio production.

That said, go out right now and find Edgar Villchur's book _Sound
Reproduction_. It's dated in some ways and predated the digital
revolution, but it does a better job of describing the ins and outs
of what makes for good sound than anything else that came out later.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tubes

Eeyore wrote:

Peter Larsen wrote:

Another buzzard fake from Brian, who pretends to be morein and who
doesn't even know that the .pro is an abbreviation of production:

And that rec isn't recording most likely too.

recreational as I recall things.

Graham

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

NEW MEMBER dynoman Car Audio 3 April 30th 07 02:44 AM
Questions from a new member Elliottmoore2 Pro Audio 2 July 19th 03 07:39 PM