Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected][_2_] docgorpon@aol.com[_2_] is offline

Default Audacity questions

I'm just now tinkering with Audacity. I have a bevy of questions. But
I'll just ask one at a time while I try to figure out the other stuff.
These may seem really rudimentary. Sorry.

First off, I'm recording stereo audio coming in through my M-Audio
Delta 2496 card. It records fine. But when I go to playback what I've
just recorded (all through audacity) I see the recorded material on
the output level monitor and it's playing just fine.. but I hear
nothing. I've tried all of the various options on Audacity's
"playback" and "recording" selector menu in the preferences menu. What
am I doing wrong? I don't seem to have any trouble playing back other
audio at other times, so I think I have my hardware (soundcard) setup
correctly otherwise.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
I'm just now tinkering with Audacity. I have a bevy of questions. But
I'll just ask one at a time while I try to figure out the other stuff.
These may seem really rudimentary. Sorry.

First off, I'm recording stereo audio coming in through my M-Audio
Delta 2496 card. It records fine. But when I go to playback what I've
just recorded (all through audacity) I see the recorded material on
the output level monitor and it's playing just fine.. but I hear
nothing. I've tried all of the various options on Audacity's
"playback" and "recording" selector menu in the preferences menu. What
am I doing wrong? I don't seem to have any trouble playing back other
audio at other times, so I think I have my hardware (soundcard) setup
correctly otherwise.

It might be helpful to know what comptuer/operating system
we are dealing with here.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Philipp Wachtel[_4_] Philipp Wachtel[_4_] is offline

Richard Crowley:
docgorpon wrote ...

I'm just now tinkering with Audacity. I have a bevy of questions. But
I'll just ask one at a time while I try to figure out the other
stuff. These may seem really rudimentary. Sorry.

First off, I'm recording stereo audio coming in through my M-Audio
Delta 2496 card. It records fine. But when I go to playback what I've
just recorded (all through audacity) I see the recorded material on
the output level monitor and it's playing just fine.. but I hear
nothing. I've tried all of the various options on Audacity's
"playback" and "recording" selector menu in the preferences menu.
What am I doing wrong? I don't seem to have any trouble playing back
other audio at other times, so I think I have my hardware
(soundcard) setup correctly otherwise.

It might be helpful to know what comptuer/operating system
we are dealing with here.

IF itīs a Windows machine, you could try to copy the settings from the
following screenshots:

http://home.arcor.de/phwachtel/_tmp/...audio_cp_1.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/phwachtel/_tmp/...audio_cp_2.jpg

Even though, Iīd assume the "control panel" (= on-screen "mixer" for the
Delta 2496) looks and behaves the same way on other operating systems...

If the SPDIF INPUT is being used, the faders for that should be up and the
"mute" function set to inactive, of course. I donīt use that, so itīs muted
in the screenshot of my personal settings...

The screenshots above are taken from the latest Delta series driver version.
If you donīt already have it, get it from

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support&tab=driver

The problem might be caused by a "wrong" routing setting in the control
panel. In most situations, one wants to hear the "mixer" settings on the
outputs.

Hope that helps,

Phil

Jolida 502a ----Chassis is missing C7.....Questions questions..... powerdoc Vacuum Tubes 10 November 20th 06 07:47 PM
Question about Audacity Jenn Audio Opinions 23 June 17th 06 10:54 PM
audacity? [email protected] Tech 10 October 8th 05 03:24 AM
What's happened to Audacity? Quite Normal Audio Opinions 3 September 11th 05 07:47 PM
Audacity Scott Dorsey Pro Audio 30 February 18th 05 10:32 PM