Posted to rec.audio.pro, alt.music.home-studio, alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
Doc Doc is offline

Default Problem

Hoping someone with a strong grasp of how things work with an M-Audio
Audiophile 2496 can assist.

I'm using Cakewalk Home Studio 2. I've using Livesynth Pro DXI synth,
which plays SF2 Soundfonts.

The process should be to record a midi track which you can hear via
the Livesynth Pro output. Then record the output of the Livesynth as
an audio file on another audio track. I'm encountering problems doing
this. It seems you should also be able to record the output of the
Livesynth real time, but that isn't working out either.

Admittedly, I feel a bit of confusion over the options available with
the Audiophile 2496 and how they all interact.

In an Audio Track in CWHS2 the input options a

Stereo M-Audio Delta AP Multi 1/2
Stereo M-Audio Delta AP Multi 3/4
Stereo M-Audio Delta AP Multi 5/6
Stereo M-Audio Delta AP Multi Mon. Mixer
Stereo M-Audio Delta AP 1/2
Stereo M-Audio Delta AP Mon. Mixer

It's my understanding that the 3/4 & 5/6 options would be applicable
with more than 1 Audiophile card installed and as such aren't used in
my case. Under each of these are also individual L & R input options
but I'm omitting these and focusing on the stereo options. Also
omitted are the S/PDIF options since I'm not using S/PDIF.

I'm not clear what the difference is between the options with "Multi"
in the name and the ones that don't have it.

Output options as they appear a

A (M-Audio Delta AP Multi 1/2)
B (M-Audio Delta AP Multi 3/4)
C (M-Audio Delta AP 1/2)
D (M-Audio Delta AP S/PDIF)
E (M-Audio Delta AP Multi 1/2)
F (M-Audio Delta AP Multi 3/4)
G (M-Audio Delta AP 1/2)

Not sure why there are duplications - A & E, B & F, C & G

The Patchbay/Router options that appear material to this issue a

WavOut 1/2
Monitor Mixer
H/W In 1/2

On the audio track I'm recording to, the only input setting that
allows me to get simultaneous output from the Livesynth and recording
on an audio track when playing back a midi file I've already recorded
is Stereo M-Audio Delta AP Mon. Mixer. However the resulting sound
has a tinny, "phased" sound to it. The only way around this seems to
be to set the "out" of the audio track to which I'm recording to
something that isn't used such as B (M-Audio Delta AP Multi 3/4)
during recording and then going back to one of the 1/2 selections for
playback.

In all cases above, the only way I can hear anything is with either
WavOut 1/2 or Monitor Mixer selected on the M-Audio Control Panel.
Selecting the H/W In 1/2 option doesn't allow me to hear anything.

I have no problems recording audio from an external source going into
the line-in, it just seems to be an issue when recording internally
like this.

Thanks for all input, happy holidays
Posted to rec.audio.pro, alt.music.home-studio, alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
Keeper Keeper is offline

On Dec 25, 6:50*am, Doc wrote:
[...]

I don't use the card you speak of but I d use the M-Audio Delta
1010LT, which is a 10 channel card. I don't use Home Studio but I do
use Sonar 7.0 Producer's Edition. What I would suggest to you is to
"EXPORT AUDIO". You can mute the tracks you don't want to export, thus
the ability to customize what you export. You should be able to export
a wav file, and then you can import that wav back into sonar. It's a
round about way of doing the same thing you described. If there is a
way to record audio from track to track, I've not been able to make
that work (directly). I can export audio all day and then re-import
that audio, which indeed is the same. Hope this helps.

My recomendation about the channels is to ignore all but 1&2, since
you only want to work in stereo anyhow.

What I do is use 3&4 for my headphone amp. If I want to pump channels
into my headphone amp I assign them to 3&4. I've not seen any need, or
use for the multi-channel. Forget everything except 1&2, and make your
life easier. I doubt you'll ever need the others.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
Geoff Geoff is offline

Default Audiophile 2496 Problem

Something more specific in the subject may attract more responses....

geoff

Doc wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
Sue Morton Sue Morton is offline

I don't have a 2496 so I may not be able to help... I also don't have HS2 (I
have Sonar 7) and I'm going to assume the capabilities are similar, you may
have to adap!. So here goes anyway! If you've covered all this already,
please ignore.

The process should be to record a midi track (...)

What is supplying the material to record? How is the MIDI coming in?

To debug this problem I'd dispense with that and start with a canned MIDI
track to get the synth working.

... which you can hear via
the Livesynth Pro output. Then record the output of the Livesynth as
an audio file on another audio track.

Not had a problem doing this with other synths. I haven't used Livesynth
Pro in a long time because you can only run one instance of it, if you run
more than one you'll experience problems and/or crashes. There might be
something Livesynth Pro needs that the others don't?

Here's what I would try:

1. Open a .mid file directly from HS2's File - Open menu. Pare it down to
one track or two tracks (like Piano LH/RH) just to keep it simple. (Or
create a bogus one with piano roll as desired.)

2. Open the Synth rack and insert LiveSynth Pro, uncheck all input/output
options except First Synth Audio Output. This should insert a Synth Track
into the project. You now have one or two MIDI tracks and a Synth track.

3. Do whatever is required to load a bank/samples into Livesynth Pro, take
note of bank number and sample number for, say, grand piano.

Output = Livesynth Pro, Channel = 1, Bank = bank in LSP, Patch = patch in
LSP. Repeat with second MIDI track if you have one, change Channel to 2,
and whatever Bank and Patch. I'd stay with the same ones for this test,
just to simplify.

4. On the Synth Track set the Input = LiveSynth Pro. You may have multiple
choices, I don't recall. Pick one. Set Output = whichever on your AP goes
to your speakers

If you've done everything correctly here, and LiveSynth is properly loaded
with a bank and patch(es), you should hear something when you play back. If
not, then go back through and see where the trouble is. Is it LSP? Delete
LSP and follow steps above to add a different synth and check again.

I'm assuming you've heard sound out of the AP before, so you should know
what the output selection should be. If not, try others. Does the AP mixer
applet have any outputs muted?

Let us know if you can get this far, or if you've already done this and have
no trouble. Then we can go further.

--
Sue Morton

Doc wrote:
[...]

lawapa[_2_] lawapa[_2_] is offline

I always used the bounce to track feature. With midi in the midi track
and Live in the audio track select both the midi and audio track. Edit/
bounce to track. A new audio track will be created and the midi using
the soundfont in live will convert to that new audio track.

I'm sure you understand the principal of using software synths like
live. If you record the midi first this gives you the ability to edit/
tweak before the bounce to track. As long as the midi/audio track
output are a pair you good. You select the live synth in the midi
track output section.

Posted to rec.audio.pro, alt.music.home-studio, alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
Doc Doc is offline

Default Problem recording output of DXI synth within Cakewalk Home Studio2

On Dec 26, 7:38*pm, "geoff" wrote:
Something more specific in the subject may attract more responses....

I'm not sure what happened here, that isn't the subject I originally
used and it took a couple of days to show up.

??

On Dec 26, 10:52*pm, lawapa wrote:
I always used the bounce to track feature. With midi in the midi track
and Live in the audio track select both the midi and audio track. Edit/
bounce to track. A new audio track will be created and the midi using
the soundfont in live will convert to that new audio track.

I'm sure you understand the principal of using software synths like
live. If you record the midi first this gives you the ability to edit/
tweak before the bounce to track. As long as the midi/audio track
output are a pair you good. You select the live synth in the midi
track output section.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, you're indicating a method of
creating a audio track without having to actually record the output of
the Livesynth Pro realtime, correct?

I could be wrong, but I don't think this works with LSP, or with this
version of Cakewalk.

If it WILL do it, and I'm just not pushin' the right buttons, that
would be great.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
sambodidley sambodidley is offline

What I don't understand is why he would want to record the output of LSP to
an audio track when can can just simply bounce it to an audio without
recording it in realtime.

"Sue Morton" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

None, Output = Livesynth Pro, Channel = 1, Bank = bank in LSP, Patch =

Doc wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
Sue Morton Sue Morton is offline

Well the output of the LSP *is* an audio track (of sorts), you're right, no
extra step to record to audio track required. I thought we'd start by
getting the synth aspect working, THEN worry about input MIDI and live
monitoring, and bouncing the output.

--
Sue Morton

sambodidley wrote:
What I don't understand is why he would want to record the output of
LSP to an audio track when can can just simply bounce it to an audio
without recording it in realtime.

"Sue Morton" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

piano. 3. Go back to the first (only?) MIDI track and make sure the
Input =

Doc wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,cakewalk.audio

geoff wrote:

Something more specific in the subject may attract more responses....

Didn't follow up because I don't have the software ....

geoff

Admittedly, I feel a bit of confusion over the options available with
the Audiophile 2496 and how they all interact.

In an Audio Track in CWHS2 the input options a

Stereo M-Audio Delta AP Multi 1/2
Stereo M-Audio Delta AP Multi 3/4
Stereo M-Audio Delta AP Multi 5/6
Stereo M-Audio Delta AP Multi Mon. Mixer

Disregard all of those ... AP multi is presented to the OS sound mapper, but

Stereo M-Audio Delta AP 1/2
Stereo M-Audio Delta AP Mon. Mixer

these apply as real hardware. SP-dif ought also to be there.

Output options as they appear a

C (M-Audio Delta AP 1/2)
D (M-Audio Delta AP S/PDIF)

These represent real hardware.

The Patchbay/Router options that appear material to this issue a

WavOut 1/2
Monitor Mixer
H/W In 1/2

On the audio track I'm recording to, the only input setting that
allows me to get simultaneous output from the Livesynth and recording
on an audio track when playing back a midi file I've already recorded
is Stereo M-Audio Delta AP Mon. Mixer. However the resulting sound
has a tinny, "phased" sound to it.

at a glance: route the midi track to an external synth if you need to hear
it, but I'm not sure understand exactly what scenario you describe. And my
knowhow ends here, I'm not currently into midi.

The only way around this seems to
be to set the "out" of the audio track to which I'm recording to
something that isn't used such as B (M-Audio Delta AP Multi 3/4)
during recording and then going back to one of the 1/2 selections for
playback.

In all cases above, the only way I can hear anything is with either
WavOut 1/2 or Monitor Mixer selected on the M-Audio Control Panel.
Selecting the H/W In 1/2 option doesn't allow me to hear anything.

The monitor mixer is just that, an on card hardware dsp monitor mixer.

I have no problems recording audio from an external source going into
the line-in, it just seems to be an issue when recording internally
like this.

It is card for recording and playing back sound and for routing midi in and
out. I don't know your software, which is why I did not initially follow up,
and I am not very familiar with actually using midi. Because of this some of
the above could be misleading and even incorrect.

Thanks for all input, happy holidays

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
Sue Morton Sue Morton is offline

I agree G'Bo :-) But since it's what he wants to do, if he responds we'll
see if we can help get him there. He can decide amongst the various methods
once this is working for him.
--
Sue Morton

Glennbo wrote:
In t the killer
robot "Sue Morton" grabbed the controls of
the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

Well the output of the LSP *is* an audio track (of sorts), you're
right, no extra step to record to audio track required. I thought
we'd start by getting the synth aspect working, THEN worry about
input MIDI and live monitoring, and bouncing the output.

Why bounce or record it as audio at all, unless your machine is just
wimpy and can't keep the midi track as midi using a virtual
instrument. I never bounce my midi tracks to audio. If it's a midi
part, it stays a midi part. Because the virtual instrument plays as
if it were audio, you can patch any audio effects the same as if you
bounced it, so the only reason to record or bounce midi is if your
machine just can't handle it IMO.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
sambodidley sambodidley is offline

"Glennbo" wrote
Well the output of the LSP *is* an audio track (of sorts), you're
right, no extra step to record to audio track required. I thought
we'd start by getting the synth aspect working, THEN worry about input
MIDI and live monitoring, and bouncing the output.

Why bounce or record it as audio at all, unless your machine is just wimpy
and can't keep the midi track as midi using a virtual instrument. I never
bounce my midi tracks to audio. If it's a midi part, it stays a midi
part.
Because the virtual instrument plays as if it were audio, you can patch
any
audio effects the same as if you bounced it, so the only reason to record
or bounce midi is if your machine just can't handle it IMO.
Glennbo

The only time I bounce a midi track to audio is when I'm ready to export the
entire project to a wav file. I always leave it in midi up to that point.
The OP asked about recording the output of a midi softsynth to audio and I
was only addressing that.

Posted to rec.audio.pro, alt.music.home-studio, alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
lawapa[_2_] lawapa[_2_] is offline

I never mix in midi.

Always bounce for processing and mixing.

Many do not use this method. But a midi track is virtual till it's
audio then is mixed/processed as a real track. I do this because the
final tends to sound better to me at least. If of course you do this
it does require a different approach to your midi sequencing but hey,
to each his own.
Posted to rec.audio.pro, alt.music.home-studio, alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
lawapa[_2_] lawapa[_2_] is offline

While midi control is almost perfect. I still run audio. And any
changes to midi subtile or otherwise is a simple click away. I find
having the audio tracks gives me a few more options through audio
editing. As opposed to midi. Now if a sequence is perfect most would
say why bother? I just like having the control.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
Bill Durham Bill Durham is offline

geoff,

How are you monitoring the output of your sound card? Are you using an
external mixer or are you feeding monitors directly from the sound card?
I have a 2496 and use a mixer in my monitor path, which lets me route
the output of the soundcard to the stereo mix bus of the mixer. The
groups of the mixer feed the soundcard and don't feed the stereo bus.
Where I'm going with this is it sounds like you have an internal loop
there with the output of the card feeding the input.. causing the tinny
sound. There is a little delay between the in an out so there isn't
complete phase cancellation.
Give us a little more info on your system.

BD

On Dec 27, 12:11*am, "sambodidley" wrote:
What I don't understand is why he would want to record the output of LSP to
an audio track when can can just simply bounce it to an audio without
recording it in realtime.

'Cause I hadn't been successful in making it work. I'd read it could
be done but hadn't divined the way to accomplish it. What wasn't clear
from previous explanations I've seen is that you have to select BOTH
the DXI synth midi track AND the associated audio track - the one with
the audio symbol but no actual audio data showing up in it - for it to
work.

I just now saw it work for the first time. That's amazing! I'm giving
myself a "V-8 slap" over the time I expended recording midi tracks in
real time when I could have done it this way.
Posted to rec.audio.pro, alt.music.home-studio, alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
lawapa[_2_] lawapa[_2_] is offline

I just now saw it work for the first time. That's amazing! *I'm giving
myself a "V-8 slap" over the time I expended recording midi tracks in
real time when I could have done it this way.

To be sure there are many more eye openers than this little task
within the software. Tricky to find, easy to use.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,alt.music.home-recording,cakewalk.audio
Geoff Geoff is offline

Bill Durham wrote:
geoff,

How are you monitoring the output of your sound card? Are you using
an external mixer or are you feeding monitors directly from the sound
card? I have a 2496 and use a mixer in my monitor path, which lets me
route the output of the soundcard to the stereo mix bus of the mixer.

The problem wasn't mine.

But FWIW I do connect straight to (via passive level control !) monitors,
and disable all monitor via the 'driver' applet. All my monitoring is via
my software applications, on the machine I edit on, with the Audiophile.

On my recording machines any inout monitoring is via a mixer, and none thru
the software app..

geoff

Infinity speaker problem or wiring problem Randy Car Audio 6 September 28th 05 10:41 PM
Viper Alarm problem and install problem @ Best Buy [email protected] Car Audio 9 February 4th 05 05:24 AM
thank u i solve pitch problem but not tempo problem bj Pro Audio 2 December 21st 04 11:15 AM
MTX Amp Problem Miguel Wheaton Tech 0 May 11th 04 12:42 PM
50 hz problem gone e Pro Audio 1 November 18th 03 12:28 PM