Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Boerst Joe Boerst is offline

Default How to Mic A Basketball Game

Anyone have any experience in miking the action on a basketball court?
I am interested in picking up the sound on the court.

Thanks,

Joe Boerst
Posted to rec.audio.pro
MG[_2_] MG[_2_] is offline

"Joe Boerst" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience in miking the action on a basketball court?
I am interested in picking up the sound on the court.

Thanks,

Joe Boerst

That can be done a number of ways. Depends on what gear you have and how
involved you want it to be. How much stuff do you have to throw at it?

mg

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"MG" wrote ...
"Joe Boerst" wrote ...
Anyone have any experience in miking the action on a basketball
court?
I am interested in picking up the sound on the court.

That can be done a number of ways. Depends on what gear you have and
how involved you want it to be. How much stuff do you have to throw
at it?

Do you have long mic cables? Wireless?
Do you have access to catwalks (etc.) above the court?
Will you have to stay on the ground?
Will you be limited to the audience area?
What kinds of mics do you have available?
How much time/access do you have for setup & strike?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Joe Boerst wrote:
Anyone have any experience in miking the action on a basketball court?
I am interested in picking up the sound on the court.

Omni ambients over the court. Lav mikes on each backboard, with some
fake reverb on them... bring the lav mikes up only as needed. You won't
need crowd spots, there will be plenty of crowd in the ambient mikes,
but it won't hurt to throw some up just in case.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
D C[_2_] D C[_2_] is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Omni ambients over the court. Lav mikes on each backboard, with some
fake reverb on them... bring the lav mikes up only as needed. You won't
need crowd spots, there will be plenty of crowd in the ambient mikes,
but it won't hurt to throw some up just in case.
--scott

Sounds like basketball if FOX did it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

D C wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

Omni ambients over the court. Lav mikes on each backboard, with some
fake reverb on them... bring the lav mikes up only as needed. You won't
need crowd spots, there will be plenty of crowd in the ambient mikes,
but it won't hurt to throw some up just in case.

Sounds like basketball if FOX did it.

That's pretty much what they do, but they also spot a lot of other stuff.

They throw up a lot of crowd fill omnis, too, but they swap them around
to make sure you can't hear any one person in the crowd too clearly.
Crowds screaming profanity are not popular with broadcasters.
If the announcers are in an isolated booth, you'll need more crowd fill
than you would if they were just sitting forward with a noise
cancelling headset.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Joe Boerst wrote:
Anyone have any experience in miking the action on a basketball court?
I am interested in picking up the sound on the court.

Omni ambients over the court. Lav mikes on each backboard, with some
fake reverb on them... bring the lav mikes up only as needed. You won't
need crowd spots, there will be plenty of crowd in the ambient mikes,
but it won't hurt to throw some up just in case.
--scott

What, nobody's gonna suggest AKG D112's?? g

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] blackburst@aol.com is offline

On Dec 22, 4:14*pm, Joe Boerst wrote:
Anyone have any experience in miking the action on a basketball court?
I am interested in picking up the sound on the court.

Thanks,

Joe Boerst

For a mono production, I simply setup a 635 on a desk stand on the
floor in front of the announce table, just off mid-court. For stereo,
I use two of them. Gets both sneaker-squeak and crowd.

Then I feed them through a compressor, whose gain is controlled by a
submix of the announcer mics (ducking), with fast attack-release. I
goose the hell out of the 635(s), but the announcers still "doughnut"
their way through.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Greg Boboski Greg Boboski is offline

Lavs under the backboard behind the net to catch the swoosh ,
Shotgun on the back of the net stand , where it won't get bumped
aiming to the top of the key to get the squeaks [ some people throw
a pzm type underneath front of the net stand ] someone with a shotgun
or other directional mic center court to follow the action .
Crowds are a little more distant to avoid individuals but more often these
days with HD & 5.1 there may be a front & rear pair of crowd / ambiance mics

Allot of TSN stuff uses the " Holophone " egg shaped unit with a bunch of
omni caps in it

"Joe Boerst" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience in miking the action on a basketball court?
I am interested in picking up the sound on the court.

Thanks,

Joe Boerst

Posted to rec.audio.pro
MG[_2_] MG[_2_] is offline

"Joe Boerst" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience in miking the action on a basketball court?
I am interested in picking up the sound on the court.

Thanks,

Joe Boerst

I suppose the real answer depends on what you want to do with it. Mono,
stereo, surround? TV, radio? Home audio/video?

mg

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"MG" wrote ...
I suppose the real answer depends on what you want to do with it.
Mono, stereo, surround? TV, radio? Home audio/video?

He could be a parent in the stands with a plastic handy-cam
and a built-in mic for all we know. He hasn't responded to
any requests for clarification.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Joe Boerst" wrote ...
Anyone have any experience in miking the action on a
basketball court? I am interested in picking up the sound
on the court.

Mr. Boerst appears to have packed up and taken his
question over to r.a.m.p.s He is getting some of the
same cross-examination over there. He clarified that
he is mixing college basketball for broadcast.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Joe Boerst wrote:

Great suggestions. I will definitely try the ducking idea.

It would have been extremely helpful of you to use proper cross-posting
since you seem to have asked in multiple newsgroups instead of initiating
multiple parallel threads.

Thanks

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Boerst Joe Boerst is offline

As well as not knowing how to mic a basketball game, I also don't know
proper cross-posting. I won't do it again.

Sorry,

Joe B

Peter Larsen wrote:

Joe Boerst wrote:

Great suggestions. I will definitely try the ducking idea.

It would have been extremely helpful of you to use proper cross-posting
since you seem to have asked in multiple newsgroups instead of initiating
multiple parallel threads.

Thanks

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Joe Boerst wrote:

As well as not knowing how to mic a basketball game, I also don't know
proper cross-posting. I won't do it again.

Sorry,

Joe, nothing to be sorry about, we're all new to something. Some of the time
cross-posting the same post to multiple newsgroups is a good idea, and your
excellent question was a great example of it being potentially useful, some
other times it is better to also add a followup-to header so that followups
go to the most relevant - or occasionally lowest traffic - newsgroup of
those posted to. See also

http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/internet/general/

Your ISP may have a similar collection of general information about all
things internet.

You got things right to the extent that you seem to use a proper newsreader,
but I can't tell you now to make it display all header fields and have to
refer you to its help file.

Welcome to the usenet. Please understand that I didn't take this up to scold
you, but so as to make other people out there aware of these considerations,
as most usenet followups also this one is written with the "general good" as
an important angle of view.

Joe B

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Joe Boerst wrote:

As well as not knowing how to mic a basketball game, I also don't know
proper cross-posting. I won't do it again.

Sorry,

Joe B

Cool, Joe, and do realize we are happy to have you participate here in
r.a.p. Best of luck with your basketball game recordings.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Greg Boboski Greg Boboski is offline

Maybe he is expecting a magic answer but i told him exactly what
happens for allot of television broadcasts

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Joe Boerst" wrote ...
Anyone have any experience in miking the action on a basketball court? I
am interested in picking up the sound
on the court.

Mr. Boerst appears to have packed up and taken his
question over to r.a.m.p.s He is getting some of the
same cross-examination over there. He clarified that he is mixing college
basketball for broadcast.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:

Cool, Joe, and do realize we are happy to have you participate here in
r.a.p. Best of luck with your basketball game recordings.

Indeed!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 18:19:05 +0100, "Peter Larsen"
wrote:

You got things right to the extent that you seem to use a proper newsreader,
but I can't tell you now to make it display all header fields and have to
refer you to its help file.

Agent uses alt - M - H to toggle headers on and off.

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck