Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Reinstatement of the ANNUAL CONTEST

Reinstatement of the "Annual Contest"

In the past, I used to give away a Zenith TransOceanic or similar item
for some small effort and a contribution to Charity. What with working
overseas and various other diversions, it has lapsed. However, it has
been a very good year for me and for my family, so I feel it might be
a good thing to bring it back, but also make the appeal a bit more
universal to the vintage (and tube) equipment hobby.

So, this year I will be giving away a working, clean example of the
Heath IP-5220 Metered Iso-Variac. It will be delivered to your door in
the continental US at no cost, and will be shipped on Saturday,
December 22, 2007 by Priority Mail for hopeful arrival before the
25th. To all others, the cost of shipping will be only the difference
between USPS Priority Mail and whatever method you choose to wherever
you are. Alaska and Hawaii will receive the package by the lower cost
of Priority and/or Parcel Post but at no additional cost.

Rules:
a) Minimum contribution on a sliding scale (and I trust you to make
the decision): Individuals on a fixed (and limited) income: $10.
Active hobbyists 13 to under 18: $5. Active hobbyists under 13, $5 but
with parental approval. All others $25.
b) "Approved" Charities are LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
Habitat for Humanity
Your local NPR Affiliate
The Red Cross (American Red Cross if in the US, or affiliate if
elsewhere)
America's Second Harvest
Any other *pre-approved* non-sectarian, non-religious, non-political
charity that serves the entire community where it works, local or
national. Please no "Umbrella" charities such as United Fund, or
narrow-focus charities such as the SPCA - not that I disapprove of
them, but the goal is directed payment and humans first.
c) I need a copy of a receipt, cancelled check or other instrument
acknowledging the contribution. NOTE: YOU GET THE TAX DEDUCTION, NOT
ME. This may be sent to me by surface mail, or scanned as a .pdf
document (both sides if appropriate). Individuals who want my Postal
Mailing address, please contact me directly.

And, since this is a contest, not a random drawing: Please submit with
your "entry" a photograph and description of whatever related and
recent project you have completed that has given you the most pleasure
to do. Keep the description to 100 words, please. One Photo, 100 words
(or less). Skills expressed or shown are contributory but not
necessary to win.

Judges will be a collection of three (3) non-technical individuals
where I work. They have agreed to do this in return for similar help
from me for them on other matters.

Entries must be received by Thursday, December 20, 2007; by e-mail or
paper. Please include the address where you would like the unit sent
if you are the lucky winner. Please do not enter if the money spent
would be a hardship to you or you would resent not winning. If e-
mailed, please put *CONTEST - 2007* in the subject line. If mailed,
please write *CONTEST* on the outside of the envelope. INCLUDE YOUR
RETURN ADDRESS, please.

Entry Fee is a Charitable Contribution on the scale noted.
Entries are to be mailed or e-mailed.
Shipping is Free to the US, differential-only to elsewhere.
Receipt or payment evidence is to be verifiable, please and a .pdf or
actual copy of the document. NO ORIGINALS PLEASE. Please also remove
any information that might give you concerns over identity-theft.
No material will be returned.
One entry per person, please. However, you may have multiple entries
per household if Significant Others and/or children and/or parents are
also involved with the hobby. But I do prefer the winner to also be
the end-user.

The Heath IP-5220 is a grounded 120V unit rated at 3A continuous load,
capable of delivering 0-140VAC and with two switchable, separately
fused ammeter scales (0-1A and 0-3A), and the isolation transformer
and variable autotransformer in the same package. Do a search on the
web for more details. This is set up for USA/Canada/Parts of the
Middle East/Parts of Latin America standard household current, Hot/
Neutral/Ground configuration. It is NOT suitable for input voltages
higher than 130VAC, DC or Hot/Hot/Ground configuration.

e-mail for address and/or questions (remove spaces and make
appropriate substitutions): p f j w at a o l dot c o m

Please feel free to share this off-list, off-NG, or anywhere you think
it might be appreciated.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message
[...]

It's too late to try to change your image. You and your cohort Yeager hurt
this NG almost beyond repair. The most (IMO) uncivilized, anti-Christian in
RAT, now tries to come off as a generous philanthropist by giving away snow
in the winter. I doubt if anyone is fooled by this pathetic attempt at image
repair. Remember ... "Charity begins in the home." If you want to make a
real charitable gesture to this NG, start by apologizing for all the
ill-will you created and promise to turn over a new leaf for the new year.

Cordially,
west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Dec 5, 4:22 pm, "West" wrote:
[...]

west- Hide quoted text -

Pillock:

I kinda-sorta knew you were going to **** on the fire. But, you are
still free to enter if you can afford the contribution - much less the
stamp to send the entry. Of course to do so, you would have to prove
that you are an actual human being and not a sockpuppet. I expect
Andre and Gassy, uh, Glassy next. John can't be far behind as he will
do as instructed as chatelain.

As to my "image": In all honesty, I would prefer a poor image in your
eyes over a fair one of a certainty. Andre/Gassy being the avatar.
Thank you for clarifying.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lord Valve Lord Valve is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:

b) "Approved" Charities are LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:

Your local NPR Affiliate

non-political

Oops...

BUSTED!

Lord Valve
American

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Dec 5, 4:57 pm, Lord Valve wrote:
Peter Wieck wrote:
b) "Approved" Charities are LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:

Your local NPR Affiliate

non-political

Oops...

BUSTED!

Lord Valve
American

Hey, depends on which NPR affiliate you choose. Around here, they run
the spectrum from damned-near libertarian to born-again liberal. Just
pick your poison. Note that I stated "Affiliate" NOT NPR directly.
That I would reject for the same reason I would reject United Way.

Point being that it is RADIO RELATED, and so to satisfy individuals in
the "other" group.

Of course, one's version of "truth" is often politically motivated, so
a non-partisan voice is always seen as contrary to the "truth"
whatever side of the fence one might be on.

Then again, Charity tends to be a liberal affliction anyway.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article
,

Peter Wieck wrote:
b) "Approved" Charities are LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:

Your local NPR Affiliate

non-political

Oops...

BUSTED!

Lord Valve
American

Hey, depends on which NPR affiliate you choose. Around here, they run
the spectrum from damned-near libertarian to born-again liberal. Just
pick your poison. Note that I stated "Affiliate" NOT NPR directly.
That I would reject for the same reason I would reject United Way.

Point being that it is RADIO RELATED, and so to satisfy individuals in
the "other" group.

Of course, one's version of "truth" is often politically motivated, so
a non-partisan voice is always seen as contrary to the "truth"
whatever side of the fence one might be on.

It sounds like you are describing my wife's world view.

Then again, Charity tends to be a liberal affliction anyway.

Do you have any proof of that contention? It sounds like liberal BS to
me, most of what I have seen says the exact opposite, that conservatives
know of the need for charity and practice it, while liberals believe
that charitable giving is unnecessary and that taxes on the rich are the
way to finance the things that charity might otherwise finance. That
way they won't have to pay and they can control the disposition of the
money through the government to be sure that it gets to "worthy" causes.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Dec 5, 5:27 pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article
,

--
Surf my web pages at, http://fmamradios.com/- Hide quoted text -

Now, John:

You have made the detailed exaggeration, please provide the basis for
it.

As to giving-by-income-level broken down many different ways:

http://www.philanthropy.iupui.edu/Re...uly%202007.pdf

And if one subscribes to the point-of-view that Conservatives are ones
who have something to "conserve" (or a Liberal who has been mugged),
the data does tend to support the 'liberal affliction' throw-away
line.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , John
Byrns at
wrote on 12/5/07 5:27 PM:

In article
,

Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

I think it is crappy talk-show thinking to divide people into camps of
"liberal" vs. "conservative." There are so many gradations and variations
in human behavior which render these labels pretty useless. If you are
going to describe someone, it may be more accurate to say he "tends" to be
conservative.

The term "liberal" is pretty much an insult now-a-days. Few take time to
check out what the definition of a liberal is.

IMHO arguing about who gives more -- conservatives vs. liberals is
pointless.

Better to argue the relative merits of SE vs PP.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default Where the congenital fascist Peter Wieck belongs Reinstatement ofthe ANNUAL CONTEST

On Dec 5, 10:27 pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article
,

Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

Mmm. I'm not so sure. This side of the Atlantic at least, a "liberal"
is an open-minded, generous, thoughtful person. Congenital fascist
scum like Worthless Wiecky will not be allowed into the club,
regardless of how many tacky old unwanted radios he gives away. And
Worthless Peter Wieck cannot be a conservative either, because a
conservative would die rather than brag about how much money he has.
Worthless Wiecky can therefore not be a conservative either. Worthless
Wiecky belongs only with the fascist scum, because that is what he is,
fascist scum, by his genes and by choice.

It's a bizarre world, my brothers, when congenital fascist scumballs
claim to commit their evil from purely charitable motives!

Andre Jute
No real corpses were harmed in the assembly of my golem Worthless
Wieckless. I made him by stuffing a cow's bladder with pig offal. --
Creepy Mike LaFevre, Magnequest Transformers, Philadelphia
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default More hypocrisy from Worthless Wiecky

On Dec 5, 9:22 pm, "West" wrote:
[...]

Yup, charity begins at home. This Worthless Peter Wieck pretending to
be a Christian gentleman is the same congenital fascist who compared
people to mosquitoes. Here Wortless Wiecky in his own words tells us
what he would like to do to the named people: " I do swat them
nonetheless when they annoy me and get within range. With about the
same emotional investment in their welfare." Now he pretends to
charity!

If this wretched slimeball Worthless Peter Wieck wants to redeem
himself through public good works, let him give $10k of that
janitorial wealth he keeps bragging about to some good cause, and
publish the receipt here on RAT, instead of trying to make everyone
else do his penance for the trail of slime he has left on the net, and
no doubt off it.

Andre Jute
No real corpses were harmed in the assembly of my golem Worthless
Wieckless. I made him by stuffing a cow's bladder with pig offal. --
Creepy Mike LaFevre, Magnequest Transformers, Philadelphia

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Peter Wieck wrote:

Then again, Charity tends to be a liberal affliction anyway.

Do you have any proof of that contention? It sounds like liberal BS to
me, most of what I have seen says the exact opposite, that conservatives
know of the need for charity and practice it, while liberals believe
that charitable giving is unnecessary and that taxes on the rich are the
way to finance the things that charity might otherwise finance. That
way they won't have to pay and they can control the disposition of the
money through the government to be sure that it gets to "worthy" causes.

Now, John:

You have made the detailed exaggeration, please provide the basis for
it.

I'll go after you, you brought the subject up.

As to giving-by-income-level broken down many different ways:

http://www.philanthropy.iupui.edu/Re...%20meeting%20n
eeds%20of%20the%20poor%20July%202007.pdf

You are changing the subject, you said "Charity tends to be a liberal
affliction", I don't see anything on that web site about giving by
liberals vs. giving by conservatives, it is all about giving by income
level.

I think you have succumbed to the stereotypical belief that liberals are
poor and conservatives are "rich". I see no evidence to support that
notion, if anything the opposite is true in my personal experience. I
should warn you that my wife says I am a "liberal", I was educated at
what many say is the second most liberal university in the country, and
I was raised in a distinctly liberal town with a mostly liberal upper
middle class populace, no true wealth, and very little poverty. For
example I learned in ECON 101 that raising taxes increases the total
economic activity of a society because of the "multiplier effect" of
taxes on economic activity, and that if individuals are left to spend
their own money there is no "multiplier effect" to boost economic
activity.

And if one subscribes to the point-of-view that Conservatives are ones
who have something to "conserve" (or a Liberal who has been mugged),
the data does tend to support the 'liberal affliction' throw-away
line.

Can you explain how the data, and which data it is that you are talking
about, supports the charity as a "liberal affliction" notion, I don't
get it, but then I am obviously pretty dense.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Andre Jute
No real corpses were harmed in the assembly of my golem Worthless
Wieckless. I made him by stuffing a cow's bladder with pig offal. --
Creepy Mike LaFevre, Magnequest Transformers, Philadelphia

Of course Mike never said that. But it is not in your character to be
truthful . . . .

In fact, Andre, Mike & I had a nice long chat today. I told Mike you were
still "promoting" him at every opportunity on the NG.

Mike said he felt honored in a way that there was someone in the world who
was thinking about him upon waking and again before sleeping.

Mike noted that he rarely thinks about you. I think he is a nobler soul
than I because he genuinely feels sorry for you. I'm not quite there yet.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

In any case, we have the unholy trio, being Andre, Pillock and Byrns
joined in anger, poison and hatred with their true colors for all the
world to see.

'Tis the season.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Jon Yaeger wrote:

I think it is crappy talk-show thinking to divide people into camps of
"liberal" vs. "conservative." There are so many gradations and variations
in human behavior which render these labels pretty useless. If you are
going to describe someone, it may be more accurate to say he "tends" to be
conservative.

The term "liberal" is pretty much an insult now-a-days.

Oh No, I hope that isn't the reason my wife calls me a liberal!

Few take time to
check out what the definition of a liberal is.

The dictionary definition of liberal has little to do with its use in
American politics or society.

IMHO arguing about who gives more -- conservatives vs. liberals is
pointless.

Better to argue the relative merits of SE vs PP.

What's to argue about there? PP is obviously far superior to SE.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default The legacy of J M Keynes

On Dec 6, 12:50 am, John Byrns wrote:

I think you have succumbed to the stereotypical belief that liberals are
poor and conservatives are "rich". I see no evidence to support that
notion, if anything the opposite is true in my personal experience. I
should warn you that my wife says I am a "liberal",

Don't worry about it until she puts a big cactus plant next to the
throne in your favourite bathroom.

I was educated at
what many say is the second most liberal university in the country, and
I was raised in a distinctly liberal town with a mostly liberal upper
middle class populace, no true wealth, and very little poverty.

Lenin and his crowd feared the middle classes so much with a good
reason. No predominantly middle-class society ever suffered a
revolution. When Lenin spewed bile against "reformist", it was a coded
attack on the origins of all his opponents, but it had to be coded
because all his own guys came from the same background, and Lenin
himself was a minor nobleman. Not many people know that.

For
example I learned in ECON 101 that raising taxes increases the total
economic activity of a society because of the "multiplier effect" of
taxes on economic activity, and that if individuals are left to spend
their own money there is no "multiplier effect" to boost economic
activity.

The main effect of Maynard Keynes's teachings were to turn an entire
generation of students into the most skeptical, anti-authoritarian
society the world has ever seen. That is ironic, as I observed even as
a student that "Keynesianism will raise taxes until all incomes are
equalized and then true communism will reign, from each according to
his ability, to each according to his need, the crucible of envy and
spite and denunciation of neighbour upon neighbour. It will last until
every productive element has emigrated from the police state necessary
to enforce it."

Where your teacher told you, "if individuals are left to spend their
own money there is no "multiplier effect" to boost economic activity",
he went quite a bit beyond Keynes, who merely didn't want the rich to
save their surplus income; many poor-quality teachers inthrough the
1950-1970 confused Keynesianism with Marxism. Keynes wasn't an
ideologue but a pragmatist; he just happened to be wrong because, even
though he was one of the greatest banking experts of his time, he
didn't foresee the ways that banking would expand to multiply the
savings of the rich, and everyone else.

Your wife will enjoy this. Lord Keynes was married to the ballerina
Lydia Lopokova. He was chairman of a ballet company. One day the
manager of the ballet company came to him and asked, "Do you think I
should let the performers decide the billing order on the posters?"
Keynes replied, "That will be order if you will first arrange for the
ambulance to be at the door."

Andre Jute
Charisma is the talent of inducing apoplexy in losers by merely
existing

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Dec 6, 3:27 am, flipper wrote:
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 00:50:19 GMT, John Byrns

What a lovely myth. Well, lovely if you're the tax collector.

I have yet to see or hear of a society that taxed itself to
prosperity.

Perhaps the Swedes, Swiss, Germans, and several others might quite see
it that way. Of course, you could measure by an incredibly rich
country with no taxes at all and a relatively small population (though
growing by leaps and bounds) such as Saudi Arabia...

The problem is not so much the taxes as how they are spent. Countries
with essentially no military and a calm population do better at it as
the taxes can be spent in ways visibly benefiting the entire
population. Fast trains, good bridges, decent health-care, schooling,
retirement, and so forth as visible benefits of high taxes are a bunch
more tolerable than poor schools, collapsing bridges, pot-holed roads
and marginal public transportation. Ain't nothing perfect, however.
And any single item in the mix, be it taxes or something else is more
symptomatic than causal.

It is right in our constitution that we have the right to "change" our
government if we do not like how it is progressing. For the most part,
we whine and bitch but make no changes. We (relative to the rest of
the world), barely even vote. The result are, again for the most part,
that those who might make good politicians will have none of it, and a
good many of those that do run are bought and paid for. We deserve
exactly what we get.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"flipper" wrote in message

I have yet to see or hear of a society that taxed itself
to prosperity.

If you're in the US or Western Europe, look about you.

The only problem with the lovely prosperity around you, is that it has
become so pervasive, so long, that you can't see it any more, and have
buried yourself in self-pity.

Turn on the lights. Do they work? Is their building wiring properly
grounded? You're already zillions of miles ahead of what, 90% of the world?

Two big differences between the first world and the rest of the world are
laws that are often effectively enforced and taxes that are often collected
in a fairly uniform way. In most of the world replace often with rarely or
never.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Dec 5, 9:06 pm, Andre Jute wrote:

Keynes replied, "That will be order if you will first arrange for the
ambulance to be at the door."

The verifiable origin of this quote would be interesting - it sounds
just a bit too apocryphal to be real, more-so considering the source.

Charisma is the talent of inducing apoplexy in losers by merely
existing.

Oh, how true. One can have Andre spinning, twirling and fulminating
with only a few keystrokes, at what? 2:06am Irish Time? And then again
at 3:27am. Andre, you are such a simple little hack that the slightest
tickle has you in full-attack mode, losing sleep, pacing the floor,
ranting. You need better meds... either that or a signifcant humor
transplant.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default The Julian Simon Memorial Award Lecture by Arny Krueger

On Dec 6, 12:06 pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"flipper" wrote in message

I have yet to see or hear of a society that taxed itself
to prosperity.

If you're in the US or Western Europe, look about you.

The only problem with the lovely prosperity around you, is that it has
become so pervasive, so long, that you can't see it any more, and have
buried yourself in self-pity.

Turn on the lights. Do they work? Is their building wiring properly
grounded? You're already zillions of miles ahead of what, 90% of the world?

Two big differences between the first world and the rest of the world are
laws that are often effectively enforced and taxes that are often collected
in a fairly uniform way. In most of the world replace often with rarely or
never.

Arny, for the first time since I've known you, you've said something
with which I agree one hundred per cent. Professor Simon was the
fellow who pointed out that despite the screeching cacophony of the
doomsayers, every year bit by bit in a geometric acceleration, things
get better and better. He was particularly hated by the
environmentalists, who tried to have him fired from his job for
stating what everyone could and can see with their own eyes: the
streets in our cities are not foul with horse dung and the air over
our countries is not laden with lethal coal-particle smog as London,
for instance, once was. Above all, we are not oppressed by
overpopulation even though some of us live in the most densely
populated areas in the world (the Dutch, for instance).

The Kyoto Agreement, which is just money we're throwing away on a
guilt trip so the third world can pollute, could take all the poor of
the world out of their misery by providing the base essentials on
which the great societies were built, clean water and universal
primary education. Clean water is a matter of health and bettering the
life of women, universal primary education is the start of prosperity.
Anyone, who has arrived at the head of a 300 yard queue in an African
country to be confronted by a bank clerk who tries to read the cheque
he wants to cash upside down, will understand what I'm talking about;
in such places corruption cannot but follow, and decline always
follows hard on the heels of corruption. Contrast the Irish, among
whom I live; they have no natural resources, only an innate love of
education in their people, so they exported educated people, until in
the Communications Age it became cheaper to bring the work to the
Irish rather than the Irish to the work; your house insurance and your
pension's paperwork has probably processed in Galway for decades now
-- and that was the start of the Celtic Tiger.

Super contribution, Arny: In the Third World the Triangle Shirtwaist
Factory disaster is a daily occurrence, hardly worth comment. In the
rich west it doesn't now happen more than once a quarter-century, if
that often, and then someone goes to jail for it.

Andre Jute
An economist is someone who adds up history and arrives at the answer
minus two.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Dec 6, 12:08 pm, flipper wrote:

I never said "all taxes are bad" nor did I say "all government is
bad'. I disputed a 'universal' claim about taxes.

I believe you stated that no society has ever "taxed its way to
prosperity". The point I made was that by American standards, taxes in
Scandinavia, Germany, various other quite prosperous parts of Europe
are nothing short of confiscatory. Yet in these societies, the
citizens (Note: Artful term "Citizen" here as some Guest Workers
[euphemism] do not always enjoy the same benefits) live longer, are
healthier, live better than we do on average. Then, one looks at an
exceedingly rich country with all the same theoretical "universals"
such as Saudi Arabia which has NO taxes at all (except on motor fuels
- so diesel (low sulphur) is US$0.14/liter and gasoline (only premium
available) is US$0.37/liter) yet there is highly visible grinding
poverty despite gorgeous roads, buildings, parks and amenities.

So, it really is a matter of perception and expectation, style of
government and how it is practiced - not the amount of taxes
collected.

Put another way, some countries have confiscatory taxes, spend them
well and "appear" to have "taxed" the country into proseperity. Some
have massive resources, no taxes, and are still straddling the stone
ages. There is also, by the way, no direct correlation between
productivity and absolute taxation.

You also need to understand the term "Liberal" as is reality vs. the
labels favored by the Right. Most liberals are strong believers in
personal responsibility, eschew laziness and would be the very first
to cut slackers off welfare roles and deny them societal support
unless and until they are willing to contribute towards their own
welfare. "Depraved because they are deprived" (West Side Story,
"Officer Krupke") Doesn't cut it. At the same time, Liberals
recognize that there is a Social Contract that separates us from
Anarchy, and that this contract mandates that there be some level at
which society must maintain itself in order to remain healthy.
Further, that the bulwark of "democracy" is a population intelligent
enough, wealthy enough and well-educated enough to maintain it. And
that requires a knowledge of history *as well as* a knowledge of
reality - all apparently scarce commodities in these troubled times.

Consider also that "Democracy" is an historically very recent
phenomenon and the accidental product of such wealth as to render
poverty very nearly obsolete. As a meaningful practice (one person,
one vote) it did not even exist in the US until the 20th Century
(Women's Suffrage, 1920), and some would argue with some validity not
really until 1965 with the passage of the Voting Rights Act. So, take
nothing for granted because the society you see around you every day
is new, fragile and utterly dependent on the good will of its
participants. Tribal rule, might-makes-right, the concentration of
power into few hands, that is both the historical *AND PRESENT* norm
for the vast, vast majority of the past and present human population.
And these populations are neither prepared for, nor do they
understand, nor do they really want democracy in any meaningful way.
They want "freedom" most certainly. But at the expense of their
enemies, rivals and even 'non-tribal' friends. The "social contract"
is foreign and antithetical to their culture and way of thinking.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA