Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Default CF Challenge - Questions

In designing the Eico CF and trying to incorporate ideas from the group, I
am wondering how it might be possible to elevate the heater potential for
just the pair of cathode followers?

I know how to elevate the entire heater string, but I don't think that I
want to.

The transformer has a pair of 6.3 VAC filament windings - one side per
channel. It also has a 5V winding for the rectifier.

In bantering about some possibilities, I wonder if it would be a bad idea to
use the 5V winding for the 6CG7s, and elevate that potential . . . meaning
that the rectifier heater would also be at a higher potential, and the 6CG7
would consume an extra 0.6 amps.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Jon Yaeger wrote:

In designing the Eico CF and trying to incorporate ideas from the group, I
am wondering how it might be possible to elevate the heater potential for
just the pair of cathode followers?

I know how to elevate the entire heater string, but I don't think that I
want to.

The transformer has a pair of 6.3 VAC filament windings - one side per
channel. It also has a 5V winding for the rectifier.

In bantering about some possibilities, I wonder if it would be a bad idea to
use the 5V winding for the 6CG7s, and elevate that potential . . . meaning
that the rectifier heater would also be at a higher potential, and the 6CG7
would consume an extra 0.6 amps.

Ideas?

Yes, connecting the CF heater to the 5 VAC winding is a Bad Idea (tm)
and is likely to elevate the heater more than you want.

Why not use a grounded, or near ground, heater supply with the CF
cathode resistor feed from a negative supply? With the grid resistor
connected to ground this would put the cathode near ground potential.
There are several potential ways of building a negative supply, I would
probably first try a half wave voltage doubler connected to the bias
rectifier tap on the HV winding of the power transformer, unless the
voltage there is too low.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"John Byrns" wrote in message
Jon Yaeger wrote:

[...]

My simpler method is to use a separate xformer for
the heater, rectify for 6V3 DC but keep this supply
floating (no ground connection) I have 285V B+ available,
so I use 680k and 270k in series across this, to get 90V at
the junction (decoupled to ground with 0.1µF) and take
a feed from here to both sides of the floating heater
supply via 100 Ohm resistors.

Iain

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Jon Yaeger wrote:

In designing the Eico CF and trying to incorporate ideas from the group, I
am wondering how it might be possible to elevate the heater potential for
just the pair of cathode followers?

I know how to elevate the entire heater string, but I don't think that I
want to.

The transformer has a pair of 6.3 VAC filament windings - one side per
channel. It also has a 5V winding for the rectifier.

In bantering about some possibilities, I wonder if it would be a bad idea to
use the 5V winding for the 6CG7s, and elevate that potential . . . meaning
that the rectifier heater would also be at a higher potential, and the 6CG7
would consume an extra 0.6 amps.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Jon

Install an extra filament tranny to do the job right.

The filament winding should have a CT and can be biased simply by a 220k
from the cathode of the CF.
But you also want 47uF to 0V to ensure signal from the mains doesn't get
into the cathode circuit.

Patrick Turnwe.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Iain Churches" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
Jon Yaeger wrote:

[...]

It's not obvious to me that your method is simpler than mine, what with
your rectifier and all. I would agree that adding an unrectified heater
transformer is simpler in concept, although it can be difficult to find
space for it in some tightly packed old amps, I'm not familiar with the
2080 so it may well have enough space for an additional transformer.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Adam Stouffer Adam Stouffer is offline

Jon Yaeger wrote:

Ideas?

Thanks.

Jon

Leave them all float and bypass one side to ground with a cap if you
have hum problems.

Adam

A challenge to the Dutch Andre Jute Tech 59 October 31st 07 06:20 PM
Challenge: Best Used CD Chnger under $300 alvablue High End Audio 0 November 20th 05 11:41 PM
I got a challenge lawrence Car Audio 1 March 10th 05 10:39 AM
Does anyone know of this challenge? [email protected] High End Audio 453 June 28th 04 03:43 AM
Does anyone know of this challenge?  Bob Marcus High End Audio 0 May 19th 04 12:14 AM