zino13 zino13 is offline
Junior Member

Default zino13

Greetings to you All

Just joined the board

I'm doing a rebuild/ mod on a magnavox cosole pull.

It has the....... 2- 6EU7 input/phase inverter tubes,
4- 6V6GT output tubes
1 6CA4 rectifier tube.

I'd like to beef up the power transformer how large can I go?
and Where could I purchase?
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

"zino13" wrote in message

Greetings to you All

Just joined the board

I'm doing a rebuild/ mod on a magnavox cosole pull.

It has the....... 2- 6EU7 input/phase inverter tubes,
4- 6V6GT output tubes
1 6CA4 rectifier tube.

I'd like to beef up the power transformer how large can I go?
and Where could I purchase?

Would you mind explaining why you want to beef up the power xfr so we can
better advise you?

west

--
zino13

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Nov 29, 7:46 am, zino13 wrote:
Greetings to you All

Just joined the board

I'm doing a rebuild/ mod on a magnavox cosole pull.

It has the....... 2- 6EU7 input/phase inverter tubes,
4- 6V6GT output tubes
1 6CA4 rectifier tube.

I'd like to beef up the power transformer how large can I go?
and Where could I purchase?

Zino:

If all you are doing is a very modest modifications there may be no
need to "beef up" the power transformer unless you perceive it to be
seriously overheating as-found. Even there, do not write off the
existing unit until you have at least changed the filter-caps,
replaced any paper caps and otherwise cleaned up the unit on your
first pass (in other words, rebuild it "to spec. first). You might
find out that with good filters the current draw is significantly
reduced.

One other (small) expedient would be to install a solid-state
rectifier ILO the 6CA4. That is a full-wave rectifier, so you will
have to be careful about voltages and how you set up a SS rectifier
(no real trick, just some care) but you would save 1A of current. So,
it gets down to your "mods". If you are adding tubes or installing
heavier output tubes (each 6V6 is 0.45A), then you would calculate
based on your final tube count and intended uses, required B+ voltage
and so forth.

It seems like from what you have written that the transformer has one
filament winding and one HV winding, and perhaps that the HV tap is
center-tapped. No schematic, pure speculation - wild guess on my part.

If so, then you could go to the Hammond site and pick from what is
available there based on what you have (filament tap(s)) and HV AC
secondary). You could even pick a transformer with a separate
rectifier filament winding - if that fits your intent.

How big "can" you go? No limit outside your pocketbook. How big
"should" you go? Possibly not at all depending on your ultimate
intentions.

But you are right to ask, Magnavox did not exactly over-design their
power transformers. Even though they were a bit more conservative than
Zenith. Faint praise, that, however.

Just for your information:

6EU6 = 0.3A filament current x 4 = 1.20A
6V6 = 0.45A filament current x 2 = 0.90A
6CA4 = 1A filament current x 1 = 1.00A
________
3.10A total
filament current (calculated)

370DAX
370DAZ
378CX

Are Hammond part-numbers that fit the calculation superficially and
without additional information.

Look here for much more and better info:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/300series.htm

And, of course, Hammond is not the only fish in the sea, but are
amongst the lowest cost-for-reliability.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 29, 3:42 pm, Peter Wieck wrote:
On Nov 29, 7:46 am, zino13 wrote:

[...]

WHOOOPSSSSS!!!

4 x 6V6 @ 0.45A = 1.8A
2 x 6EU6 @ 0.30A = 0.60A
1 x 6CA4 @ 1.0A = 1.0A

Total is 3.40A

Doesn't change the suggested part numbers, however based on
superficial results.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

On Nov 29, 7:46 am, zino13 wrote:

[...]

Relax big boy. If someone asked you for the time do you give them a
discourse on how a watch is made? No wonder why Mrs.Wieck sold the
encyclopedias.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 29, 7:46 am, zino13 wrote:

[...]

Westiepoo, westiepoo, westiepoo,

Your pillock habits are wretchedly hard to break, aren't they?

When someone suggests that they might clean an old watch, and perhaps
add a stronger mainspring it is not quite like asking for the time. It
is "I found this old watch of unknown antecedents and unknown
functionality that I want to make run. Furthermore, I might want it to
run longer or more accurately. Would a larger mainspring help?

You are singularly stupid today, at least as reflected by your posts.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA