Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default OTbF -- Specials I have built

John Byrns wrote:

I given his auto racing background, I'm
sure Andre could set you straight on the meaning of "special" in this
context.

Regards,

John Byrns

A "special" is a hodgepodge car, built from the pieces of several, or
from a subset of the pieces of one car when it is turned to a purpose
not catered for by the original designer. An American hotrod of the
1932 Ford type and similar is now an over-the-counter series
production "special" of very limited imagination. A Bentley MK VI
special such as I used to build (go to
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/T...re%20Jute.html
and scroll halfway down the page to Designing and Constructing Special
Cars to see one) is an upmarket and rarer version of the older
American concept of a hotrod, which was recycling an old car's
mechanicals and chassis when the body rusted away. Today the concept
is pretty loose; I designed some huge 155mph (180mph without the
socially responsible speed governor chip...) fourwheel drive desert
cars for Arab princes that were called "specials" by the guy who built
them, to distinguish them from "series" cars that he catalogued and
built to order.

The British have always had specials in a certain kind of racing, hill
climb trials, and the Americans had open-wheelers named "Special" in
Indy-style racing, one belonging to Bill Vukovich for instance. But in
general, a modified racing car, regardless of the extent of the
modifications, all the way up to turning it into an entirely different
class of car, is usually called "modified" until the regulators catch
on at which time it is called "excluded" unless your lawyers are
fleetfooted in which case it might be merely temporarily "suspended"
while you bandy words with the stewards.

An example of a car that might be considered "special" by American
hotrodders was my racing Healeys, which was generally a Healey 3000
with a Chrysler Hemi engine shoehorned in and better brakes and
suspension mods to ease the handling when the car's marginal
roadholding ran out. Oh, and a hardtop. We were, on legal advice, very
careful to describe it merely as a "modified saloon" and my lawyers
argued successfully that it could by the regulations be entered in the
super-saloon class (It has a roof, see?), where of course I
slaughtered all the guys in real saloons; for the rest of you, a
saloon is a sedan. Of course, by winning so often in these crude
"specials" I soon moved up to a dealer and then a factory team, and
then I became old enough to get a license to drive on the public roads
and started being interested in girls, and the factory provided hot
and cold running mechanics who didn't require my assistance, and after
that I didn't return to specials for fifteen years.

Mmm, that's not quite the full story. At college I had a BMW Isetta, a
bubblecar usually fitted with a smallish motorcycle engine, which we
fitted up with an early-series Jaguar V12 engine (don't ask what
happened to the rest of the car...) on rails at an angle out the back;
at the rear of the rails were wheelies because when you put your right
foot down the front wheels lifted off the ground and the wheels on the
rails crashed down on the road to stop the whole car backflipping
(that's how I lost the first two we built -- the third and fourth were
convertibles and I didn't fancy dragging my head along the road). It
was very fast in a straight line (4s 0-60, 100mph under 8s) but didn't
steer and accelerate at the same time... Alzo, full disclosure, at
about that time too I built for the father of a girlfriend a set of
rails with Topolino body and a spare Allison V12 aero engine from my
racing boat. Now that was *special*, with a bonnet nine feet long! It
chewed differentials, of course, and eventually we fitted a truck unit
and detuned the engine to "only" 800bhp and fitted double rear wheels
to stop the tyres burning out everytime someone was enthusiastic with
the hot pedal; then it worked beautifully on a two-speed automatic
gearbox imported from Germany where that box was going into fast buses
(and earth movers, I seem to remember). I remember the sensation when
the owner and his wife drew up at the club in that monster on a dress-
up night... Aw, hell, I can't remember all the specials I built even
in my fallow period: an MGA with a Chevy mouse motor for my brother
just sprang to mind...and a Porsche 356 cabriolet with a Chevy mouse
in a box amidships for a girlfriend who promptly wrapped it all the
way around a concrete pole so that the number plates
kissed...and...and...

The Allison, incidentally, was a *wonderful* engine, as hydroplane and
offshore big boat racers both appreciated. I had three Allisons in my
final Gordon's Bay racer, and the entire engine installation weighed
not much over two tons (not counting the gearboxes). An Allison would
put out one horsepower per pound in standard trim, and then the
induction could be double-charged until two horsepower per pound was
available with relative safety, more if you didn't mind the occasional
brush with shrapnel. To give you an idea of how good it was even in
base trim, for little more than twice the weight of a big block Chevy
or Ford you got four times the horsepower, around 1300 shaft bhp. The
only engine that came near it was the Merlin, which was godawfully
complicated, with twice the number of parts of an Allison. People who
say American engines are "crude" are just envious of the simplicity of
genius -- they never understand that all those bright engineers work
very hard to make things simple. And back in the 1960s an Allison was
cheap; you could order up as many as you wanted from surplus for what
the supercharger would now cost... A Merlin engine cost the national
debt of a medium-sized country; one of my editors bought one and
fitted it on rails out the front of a Morris Minor -- because Bill
Townsend, the designer of the 1960s-70s Aston Martins, told him the
Minor had admirable front suspension! It did, very pure in motion
because Alec Issigonis was a humanist and an artist, but it also had
no brakes worth mentioning in the same breath as even a hundred
horsepower, never mind into the thousands...

After my years of experience, and lots of deep thought on the subject,
I have concluded that a proper special must be defined as a car for
which at least one custom adaptor plate has to be made, though not
necessarily in the drivetrain.

And of course the one that didn't get built: swapping a reliable
engine into my Citroen SM coupe to replace the wretched Maserati V6
which had been so carelessly cut down from the Maserati V8 (a reliable
engine; I had over the years several other superb Maserati from the
6cyl 3500 to the bigger V8 4.2 and 4.7 grand tourers) that there was
no tensioning adjustment for the timing chain, a disaster waiting to
happen. I just never found a way to put a good engine into the
miserable sixteen inches available for the engine under that
impressive bonnet. I was so desperate that at one stage I designed my
own W8 engine and was getting quotes for the block and heads;
eventually space on the crankshaft for the bearings outran my rather
basic knowledge of metallurgy, and the cooling was a nightmare in
three dimensions (this was before the Mac arrived and made desktop 3D
CAD a breeze) -- and my publishers and partners and family started
wondering what I had spent so much time on, so I moved on to project
I could finish in a sensible time, which was a Bentley Le Mans
recreation on a Mk VI chassis.

Andre Jute
Tasteful solutions to non-existing problems for the very rich

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
graham graham is offline

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
John Byrns wrote:

[...]

It has to be fiction .... a comedy maybe?

DESIGNING & BUILDING SPECIAL CARS

Product Details

a.. Product Details

a.. Hardcover: 168 pages
b.. Publisher: B.T. Batsford Ltd (September 1985)
c.. Language: English
d.. ISBN-10: 0713407786
e.. ISBN-13: 978-0713407785
f.. Average Customer Review:
b.. (1 customer review)
c.. A Kid's Review
I think this book is exactly what a,person needs in to building the
perfect car. Thats pretty much all that I know what to say.
d.. Amazon.com Sales Rank: #3,921,940 in Books (See Bestsellers in Books)

(Publishers and authors: Improve Your Sales)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Nov 28, 6:41 pm, "graham" wrote:

Stuff

Far more likely that Batsford is a Subsidy Publisher. Some of their
present titles are no less than insane. Jute's is no longer listed in
their catalog, he must have stopped paying.

FABULOUS WOMEN OF BORIS VALLEJO AND JULIE BELL
by Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell

"Robson Books was established over thirty years ago; a varied and
exciting list full of personality written by personalities!"

Creative Recycling in Embroidery by Val Holmes

Being Bold with Watercolour by Annette Kane

Kinda-sorta puts Andre in perspective beside such august authors and
with such defining titles and world-shattering subjects.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RdM RdM is offline

"graham" in
rec.audio.tubesQcCdnZBFzPsqYdDanZ2dnUVZ_oKhnZ2d@c omcast.com:

It has to be fiction .... a comedy maybe?

No, it's a real work. I've read it, standing up (such is sometimes my wont!)
in a public library; I've also borrowed and read (early 2002, years after I
had the urge, but according to a library receipt in front of me;-) Sinkhole,
Festival, The Zaharoff Commission (a very different three, though I was
disturbed by typos in the published edition of at least one;- Seeburg? - if I
was the author I would have proof-read the printed edition too!) but so many
editions, so little time ..;- and I don't recall now which one it was! - and
I was annoyed that I couldn't find Reverse Negative, even in the stacks ...

Perhaps some expediting comments may persuade or prevail upon them ...

[Oh, and also read, marked, maybe postponed digestion, on Writing A Thriller.]

Cars are not my speciality;- nevertheless, I find BL's comments interesting!!!
--
Ross Matheson
Auckland, NZ
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RdM RdM is offline

RdM in
rec.audio.tubesd50tk3lcr1hgu4dpu5j98d29c8jclv11pf @4ax.com:
--
"Things are the way they are because they were the way they were."
Fred Hoyle
--
The man who voyages strange seas must of necessity be a little unsure of
himself. It is the man with the flashy air of knowing everything, who is

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

On Nov 29, 9:45 am, RdM wrote:
RdM in
rec.audio.tubesd50tk3lcr1hgu4dpu5j98d29c8jclv1... @4ax.com:
--
"Things are the way they are because they were the way they were."
Fred Hoyle
--
The man who voyages strange seas must of necessity be a little unsure of
himself.

Australian lottery used to have the motto "You'll never know if you
don't have a go." When I first came to RAT I was astounded and
depressed to learn that only perfect projects could be published here,
that the "engineers" did not permit prototypes and disccussion
documents, only perfect projects. Of course, that excluded imagination
and encouraged the lowest common denominator, which was merely the
same old **** with ever finer craftsmanship, the same attitude that
killed hotrodding in the States to where it is now the bolting
together of a kit car. I wrote an editorial about the analogy between
auto hotrodding and tube DIY in Glass Audio about ten years ago which
generated more post than anything else I ever wrote on electronics. We
can now see that it was prophetic.

It is the man with the flashy air of knowing everything, who is
always with it, that we should beware of.
Fred Hoyle

Is the wise man who said that still alive?

He is so right. So much to learn and so little time. The most useful
thing anyone can teach his child is to ask, "Why?" The next most
useful is to give the child his own Mac at age two, just old enough to
start programming.

Andre Jute

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

On Nov 29, 9:37 am, RdM wrote:
"graham" in
rec.audio.tubesQcCdnZBFzPsqYdDanZ2dnUVZ_oKhn...@c omcast.com:

It has to be fiction .... a comedy maybe?

No, it's a real work. I've read it, standing up (such is sometimes my wont!)
in a public library; I've also borrowed and read (early 2002, years after I
had the urge, but according to a library receipt in front of me;-) Sinkhole,
Festival, The Zaharoff Commission (a very different three,

Gee, three of my novels and two of my non-fiction books on the shelves
of your library. Perhaps I should enquire if New Zealand has public
lending right...g

Andre Jute
More of my books at http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message
On Nov 28, 6:41 pm, "graham" wrote:

Stuff

Far more likely that Batsford is a Subsidy Publisher. Some of their
present titles are no less than insane. Jute's is no longer listed in
their catalog, he must have stopped paying.

FABULOUS WOMEN OF BORIS VALLEJO AND JULIE BELL
by Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell

"Robson Books was established over thirty years ago; a varied and
exciting list full of personality written by personalities!"

Creative Recycling in Embroidery by Val Holmes

Being Bold with Watercolour by Annette Kane

Kinda-sorta puts Andre in perspective beside such august authors and
with such defining titles and world-shattering subjects.

Notice how Wiecked does research just before posting weather off-topic or
technical? I wonder how many, if any, are fooled by his deception of "off
the cuff knowledge?" No wonder the abused (can you imagine anyone being
married to this? Poor soul!) Mrs. Wiecked sold the family's Britannica.
Quote from previous post: "For sale full set of Britannica Encyclopedia.
Cheap. Not needed, my fu...ng husband knows everything."
BTW: Besides "How I Spent My Summer Vacation," How many books have you
written?

west

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Dec 1, 12:02 pm, "West" wrote:

Evasions and Obfuscations.

Pillock, that I try to check my facts makes me no more than curious
and careful. That you do not makes you, apart from being wrong most of
the time, careless, pretentious and precious.

One day, you will learn the basic truth behind the Carpenter's Motto:
Measure twice, cut once.

In general, I take my attitude to life from Rikki-tikki-tavi ("Run and
find out"). You, were I to pick a character trait from the same story,
are the functional equivalent of Chuchundra.

But, to get to the heart of your question, I could have as many
published books as I so-choose were I to use a subsidy publisher. And
on any subject whatsoever. Without reference to facts, quality or
interest. But, I choose to do other things with my time and hobbys.
Andre chooses to pay to have his writings published. That is his
absolute right and privilege without question.

Pillock, you really need a life. As it is now, you are circling the
drain after your 'boss'.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Dec 1, 12:02 pm, "West" wrote:

[...]

Next time I'm near Wyncote, may I stop by for an autograph? I never met
someone that could write a book on any subject. My son & I would treasure it
(autograph) for life. Oh, by the way... would anyone actually purchase any
of your books?

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Dec 1, 3:54 pm, "West" wrote:

Oh, by the way... would anyone actually purchase any
of your books?

Pillock:

I sincerely hope not, at least were I to write at Andre's level of
interest and scholarship. But, in the words of Mr. Mencken: Nobody
ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American
public.

Of course, given that like Andre, I would have to pay someone to
publish that should be no surprise. Do also keep in mind that Subsidy
Publishers distribute to libraries, bookstores, remainder houses and
all the various other outlets if so-instructed, and so-paid. They also
follow the ISBN system... Put another way, the uneducated buyer would
have no clue as to the publishing history of the book.

You have a son now? How unfortunate, if true. That may look cruel to
write, but if he learns your general style and honesty... well, you
get the picture. Hey, why don't you let him write a book? It's only
money:

http://www.arborbooks.com/

http://www.writing-world.com/publish/subsidy.shtml

http://www.booksjustbooks.com/aboutus.asp

are several of many.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

West wrote:

Notice how Wiecked does research just before posting weather off-topic or
technical? I wonder how many, if any, are fooled by his deception of "off
the cuff knowledge?"

Worthless Wiecky doesn't do research, he googles up risible
misinterpretations, or he simply tells outright lies.

"Peter Wieck" wrote:
Far more likely that Batsford is a Subsidy Publisher.

: Jute's is no longer listed in
their catalog, he must have stopped paying.

Batsford is not a vanity publisher. Batsford paid me in advance for
every book of mine they published, before I wrote a word. I never paid
Batsford a penny. When they went into receivership a dozen or so years
ago, I took those of my books they published away from them. You lie
and lie and lie, Worthless Wiecky.

Only untalented wannabes call vanity publishers "Subsidy Publishers",
complete with capitals, as you do, Worthless Wiecky. Your terminology
tells us that you know a lot about vanity imprints because whatever
you've written is unpublishable by normal commercial publishers, the
sort of reputable top ten publishers I know all about after about
forty books in around three hundred editions, all of which publishers
paid me for.

"Robson Books was established over thirty years ago; a varied and
exciting list full of personality written by personalities!"

Robson Books is not Batsford. If you are so ignorant, Worthless, that
you don't even know conglomerates own widely disparate publishing
houses, why are you pretending that you know something about my
business? You clearly don't know anything at all.

[snip more similar stupidities by this ignoramus Worthless Wiecky
trying to pretend he's an insider]

Then West asks Worthless Wiecky the killer question:

BTW: Besides "How I Spent My Summer Vacation," How many books have you
written?

LOL! That's why Worthless Wiecky is so respectful of what he calls
"Subsidy Publishers", complete with capitals: he already knows he is a
zero-talent unpublishable, luncheon meat -- boloney! -- to the
parasites whom professional writers sneer at as "vanity
publishers" (generic lower case). Just this single example of Wortless
Wiecky's universal insensitivity to language is enough to persuade
anyone with editorial experience that Worthless Peter Wieck is
unpublishable.

west

Thanks for bringing the scumball Peter Wieck's lying to my attention,
West. I've taken him out of my killfile for a couple of hours to see
what other lies he tells. One has to wonder how the little scumball
Peter Wieck thinks he will get away with these very obvious lies.

Andre Jute
A professional writers is paid before takes the cover off his keyboard
-- Andre Jute, Writing a Thriller
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Worthless Peter Wieck lies and lies and lies:
Andre chooses to pay to have his writings published.

That is an outright lie inspired by your envy, Worthless Peter Wieck.
I have never paid to have a single sentence published. Each of my
several dozen books was paid for, mostly in advance, by a reputable
publisher, mostly from the top ten publishing groups. There are about
three hundred editions of my books, and I was paid for every single
one because I am worth the money.

By contrast, you, Worthless Peter Wieck have no books and no
publications, because you have no talent and therefore you are
worthless.

Andre Jute
Some of my books and extracts from reviews by leading journals around
the world are he
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Dec 1, 5:28 pm, Andre Jute wrote:

By contrast, you, Worthless Peter Wieck have no books and no
publications, because you have no talent and therefore you are
worthless.

That would be the fallacy of False Premises. Coupled with Circular
Reasoning.

Of course, one as ignorant as you would have only a single measure of
worth. But I will grant you a second one:

Number of Successful Lundahl Designs you have created.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

p.s.: There is not an individual on earth in your Killfile, Andre. You
have far too much ego and are far to paranoid to allow anything go by
without your careful and frightened scrutiny.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Dec 1, 5:27 pm, Andre Jute wrote:

Batsford is not a vanity publisher. Batsford paid me in advance for
every book of mine they published, before I wrote a word.

We have only your unverified word for this Andre. Please prove the
"lie".

We know that you are in the habit of taking "advances against royalty"
and then not performing. Just show us a Lundahl design to prove that a
lie.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

See the thread " Inspired by envy- the lies of Worthless Peter Wieck"
at http://groups.google.ie/group/rec.au...4368516acb9a50

On Dec 1, 9:16 pm, Peter Wieck wrote:
On Dec 1, 3:54 pm, "West" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Dec 1, 8:15 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
See the thread " Inspired by envy- the lies of Worthless Peter Wieck"
athttp://groups.google.ie/group/rec.audio.tubes/browse_thread/thread/10...

Of course, Andre carefully neglects:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...11e4e65a147130

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Dec 1, 8:15 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
See the thread " Inspired by envy- the lies of Worthless Peter Wieck"
athttp://groups.google.ie/group/rec.audio.tubes/browse_thread/thread/10...

And, see the thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...11e4e65a147130

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Dec 1, 3:54 pm, "West" wrote:

[...]

Can you give us at least a hint on (pick 4) what you would write about? As
an even more generous gesture...what would the 4 titles be? This may show at
least you were actually thinking about the undertaking.

west

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Dec 2, 2:47 am, "West" wrote:

Can you give us at least a hint on (pick 4) what you would write about? As
an even more generous gesture...what would the 4 titles be? This may show at
least you were actually thinking about the undertaking.

Pillock:

Before I give you titles, please show me where I claimed to be a
writer or even to have ambitions of same? What I did tell you is that
having a book 'published' even 'many books published' is a matter only
of money. The only question then remains as to the source of the
money. An author with sufficient may self-publish or engage a subsidy
publisher. Or are you not reading for content?

Actually, I think that like your "boss", you are attempting to create
an argument to refute, and then to frame it in terms that you
understand. As there is no argument, and as the terms you have chosen
are entirely the creation of your own imagination, there is nothing to
refute and certainly nothing to argue or to answer.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA