Kalman Rubinson

Default How to select an entry level signal processor?

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:03:18 -0500, "Faustino Dina"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning to buy my first signal processor, but I need some help to
define my specifications. I want an entry-level console, to get digital
inputs from DVD and "normal" stereo sources and provide output for surround
speakers. But specially in DVD there are a lot of standards that changes day
to day (dts, dolby digital...). Then, which standards do you recommend the
processor should accomplish for DVD? What kind of digital input it should
have?

Most of these features are built into an AV receiver or
preamp/processor. Are you looking for a stand alone processor or one
of those devices?

Kal
Faustino Dina

You are right, I meant an AV receiver. I'm thinking in an entry level one,
around $300 USD, for home teather (DVD films) and stereo music listening.
Thanks for your replay

Faustino

wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning to buy my first signal processor, but I need some help to
define my specifications. I want an entry-level console, to get digital
inputs from DVD and "normal" stereo sources and provide output for

surround
speakers. But specially in DVD there are a lot of standards that changes

day
to day (dts, dolby digital...). Then, which standards do you recommend

the
processor should accomplish for DVD? What kind of digital input it should
have?

Most of these features are built into an AV receiver or
preamp/processor. Are you looking for a stand alone processor or one
of those devices?

Kal

Shadow

around $300 USD
Any Pioneer or Kenwood. You can get them at best buy for that price range.
I would suggest that you get one that is THX certifies. However, Pioneer or
Kenwood would work though.

wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning to buy my first signal processor, but I need some help to
define my specifications. I want an entry-level console, to get digital
inputs from DVD and "normal" stereo sources and provide output for

surround
speakers. But specially in DVD there are a lot of standards that

changes
day
to day (dts, dolby digital...). Then, which standards do you recommend

the
processor should accomplish for DVD? What kind of digital input it

should
have?

Most of these features are built into an AV receiver or
preamp/processor. Are you looking for a stand alone processor or one
of those devices?

Kal

Jim Mowreader

In article ,
"Matthew Robbetts" wrote:

This may seem like a silly question, but why, oh why, does anybody want a 7.1
channel processor? Apart from the fact that there is no 7.1 standard, who
even has 7 speakers to upmix to?

More is better, sir...at least that's what they tell me.

--jmowreader