Default New Studio Space - Bass Trapping (PING! Ethan W. & anyone else interested)

Hey gang, some of you may find this interesting, since it's a somewhat
different kinda space.

So I moved into this new place, partially because it would afford me the
space to enable me to expand my little studio operations into somewhat more
than a simple MIDI/overdubbing studio. I'm getting things configured, and
as I'm doing so, I've noticed what I think is an extremely annoying room
mode problem... as I'm listening back to the first few things I play over
the system, I get this annoying "woom-woom" thing happening (and no, I
don't mean "womb-womb", like Mixerman would want it lol). First thing I
do is say: "****... 200hz.", then I listen some more & I'm thinking maybe
not just that, but somewhere up into the 300-ish range, too, but now I'm
second-guessing myself & I'm not sure.

So, I downloaded Ethan Winer's room mode calculator & plugged in some
figures - yep, with the room dimensions that I've got, there's definitely
some problems in the 208-237hz range (if I read it right), but there's
another issue... I'm not sure which calculations to use, and if you click
on this link, you'll see pictures that'll explain why:

http://www.saqqararecords.com/html/newstudio.htm

At the listening postion, the effective "width" of the room is 67 feet, if
I were to move back just a little bit, it would be 19 feet. Is the 19-foot
width impacting much of my listening experience, even though I'm not
directly "in the zone" of that width? Or not? Personally, I think it's
mostly a floor-to-ceiling mode problem... that's the shortest measurement
that produces anything in the 200-ish Hz range, and as the shortest
measurement, would contain the most energy in the problem range, right?
There are a couple of frequencies below that that may be a problem, like to
67-75Hz range, and using the 67 feet measurement, there's a doubling at
exactly 59 Hz, but I'm using fairly small speakers & not blasting them all
to hell, anyway; so I wouldn't think that they're putting out a lot of
power down that low - not enough to make it a serious issue, anyway...
right? Besides, those frequencies don't go "woom-woom" lol

So what do you guys think, and where & how should I trap this dump? On the
ceiling first & see what happens? Input appreciated.
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 03:54:31 GMT,
wrote:

So what do you guys think, and where & how should I trap this dump? On the
ceiling first & see what happens? Input appreciated.
--

All that glass between the speakers won't be helping. Can't you turn
the whole thing round?

(Good luck with the glassed-in drum booth :-)

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 03:54:31 GMT,
wrote:

So what do you guys think, and where & how should I trap this dump? On

the
ceiling first & see what happens? Input appreciated.
--

All that glass between the speakers won't be helping. Can't you turn
the whole thing round?

Nah, can't really do that. The imaging's pretty incredible,though :-)

(Good luck with the glassed-in drum booth :-)

It's only glassed-in on one side... some heavy curtains might do the
trick - we'll see.
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records
http://www.saqqararecords.com

"Bob Ross" wrote in message
om...
67 feet wide!?!?!?! Man, I just spent the weekend trying to fit all
my crap into a control room 8.5 feet wide.

Well, don't forget, I said that was the "effective" width, for purposes of
calculating that mode at the listening position... the actual room itself
is not that big.

But I can sympathize with our plight, I've been in small CR's before.
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records

Ethan Winer

Hi Neil,

Is the 19-foot width impacting much of my listening experience, even

though I'm not directly "in the zone" of that width?

It could be a factor. Basically, any pair of large, parallel surfaces can
contribute modal resonance.

I think it's mostly a floor-to-ceiling mode problem.

That might be a contributor, but I'm guessing it's just too much ringing and
low frequency reverb generally. The exciting frequencies in the music you're
playing are obviously the biggest factor. This is why the only real way to
know what you have is to measure.

where & how should I trap this dump? On the ceiling first & see what

happens?

The best place for bass traps is in the room corners, and that includes the
ceiling corners. The problem with a very large space is you need a very
large number of bass traps. I'm not usually one to recommend making a room
smaller, but in this case you have the perfect opportunity to build walls
that make the room a more optimum size and shape.

If building a few walls is feasible, and you can wait another week or two,
the September issue of EQ magazine will present plans for a complete project
studio with ideal dimensions.

--Ethan