Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jackothewako@gmail.com is offline

Default Bass Drum Triggers

I just recently learned, or heard about bass drum triggers but I have
been playing for over 3 years. I play types of heavier music and just
recently learned about triggers. I would like to know from somone more
experienced if they know how bass drum triggers work and where I can
get some and what type specifically. Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John L Rice John L Rice is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just recently learned, or heard about bass drum triggers but I have
been playing for over 3 years. I play types of heavier music and just
recently learned about triggers. I would like to know from somone more
experienced if they know how bass drum triggers work and where I can
get some and what type specifically. Thanks.

Drum triggers are basically a small transducer that is either directly
attached to the drum head with adhesive or gently held against the head with
a metal frame that clamps to the drum's rim/hoop. There isn't a lot of
difference between bass, snare and tom triggers except for some triggers
marketed as 'snare' triggers have an additional sensor for the rim (to pick
up rim shots) and the ones sold as bass drum triggers can have a larger
frame designed to clamp to the large hoop.

DDRUM makes nice triggers :
http://www.ddrum.com/electronicdrums.htm

Roland makes some fancy looking ones:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...68&ParentId=64

Pintech makes a variety :
http://www.pintechworld.com/usa/prod...uct.aspx?p=rs5
http://www.pintechworld.com/usa/prod...duct.aspx?p=tp

The trigger is the first part. Then you need someway to convert the trigger
pulses to MIDI. These are commonly referred to as trigger-to-midi devices.
Once they are converted to midi you can basically assign the trigger pulse
to what ever sound you have available in your midi controlled samplers and
synths.

Alesis Trigger|iO :
http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=102

Roland TMC-6:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...24&ParentId=64

There are also units that combine a variety of functionalities including
trigger to midi, synth, sample playback, sampling and effects into one unit.

Alesis DM5 :
http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=59

Pintech EZv2
http://www.pintechworld.com/usa/prod...ct.aspx?p=ezv2

Several Roland units :
http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...px?ParentId=65

You should also consider the need to mix your acoustic sound together with
your triggered midi sounds so you may want/need some microphones and a
mixer.

If you are into building electronic things this may interest you :
http://www.edrum.info/

If you aren't concerned with live performance and you just want to trigger
sounds off of your recorded bass drum tracks then you can use something like
Drumagog software (no hardware triggers or midi brains/modules required)
http://www.drumagog.com/

There is lots more than I mentioned out there so do some Google searches.

Best of luck!

--
John L Rice
www.DeliriumFix.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Wozniak Michael  Wozniak is offline

"John L Rice" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

John gets my nomination for "Most concise, yet informative answer of the
week". Good work. I'd have charged $45 for an hour explanation - please
don't put me completely outta work... : )

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
this sig is haiku

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John L Rice John L Rice is offline

John gets my nomination for "Most concise, yet informative answer of the
week". Good work. I'd have charged $45 for an hour explanation - please
don't put me completely outta work... : )

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
this sig is haiku

LOL! Thanks for the nice compliment Mikey! Don't worry . . everyone KNOWS
that you can't trust the bull shot information you can read on the web and
you should always hire a fine professional like yourself to explain things
in person! For all anyone knows I'm typing this from an insane asylum (not
really but sometimes I think I should be committed . . . )

John

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"John L Rice" wrote in message
John gets my nomination for "Most concise, yet informative answer of the
week". Good work. I'd have charged $45 for an hour explanation - please
don't put me completely outta work... : )

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
this sig is haiku

LOL! Thanks for the nice compliment Mikey! Don't worry . . everyone KNOWS
that you can't trust the bull shot information you can read on the web and
you should always hire a fine professional like yourself to explain things
in person! For all anyone knows I'm typing this from an insane asylum (not
really but sometimes I think I should be committed . . . )

John

Recording studio... insane asylum.... it's all the same - in either case,
you need to be committed.

: )

Mikey

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I just recently learned, or heard about bass drum triggers but I have
been playing for over 3 years. I play types of heavier music and just
recently learned about triggers. I would like to know from somone more
experienced if they know how bass drum triggers work and where I can
get some and what type specifically. Thanks.

It's a cheap piezo pickup that you attach to the drum and plug into a
sampler. When you strike the drum, it plays the sample. It plays it
the same way, every time. This is good if that's what you want.
It's bad if it's not.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
I just recently learned, or heard about bass drum triggers but I have
been playing for over 3 years. I play types of heavier music and just
recently learned about triggers. I would like to know from somone more
experienced if they know how bass drum triggers work and where I can
get some and what type specifically. Thanks.

It's a cheap piezo pickup that you attach to the drum and plug into a
sampler. When you strike the drum, it plays the sample. It plays it
the same way, every time. This is good if that's what you want.
It's bad if it's not.
--scott

Today's samplers use multisamples based on velocity and can sound very
natural.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Romeo Rondeau wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
I just recently learned, or heard about bass drum triggers but I have
been playing for over 3 years. I play types of heavier music and just
recently learned about triggers. I would like to know from somone more
experienced if they know how bass drum triggers work and where I can
get some and what type specifically. Thanks.

It's a cheap piezo pickup that you attach to the drum and plug into a
sampler. When you strike the drum, it plays the sample. It plays it
the same way, every time. This is good if that's what you want.
It's bad if it's not.

Today's samplers use multisamples based on velocity and can sound very
natural.

Which can ALSO be either good or bad, depending.