Bohus Blahut

Default Pioneer PL-51 vs. Dual 506 - which turntable should I use?

I just got both a Dual 506 & Pioneer PL-51 turntables. I'd love to find
more data about them, but have been unsuccessful finding stuff on the net.
I'd like to have one of these set up as a secondary turntable, so would be
interested in finding out what differences there might be between them.

From what little I found about the Dual online, folks seem to very
polarized about it, either loving or hating it - no middle ground. The only
other thing that I've found online so far is that someone uses their Dual on
it's side to play records (?).

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on these two turntables. Thanks!

--
- Bohus Blahut
(BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

modern filmmaker

MiNE 109

In article ,
"Bohus Blahut" wrote:

I just got both a Dual 506 & Pioneer PL-51 turntables. I'd love to find
more data about them, but have been unsuccessful finding stuff on the net.
I'd like to have one of these set up as a secondary turntable, so would be
interested in finding out what differences there might be between them.

From what little I found about the Dual online, folks seem to very
polarized about it, either loving or hating it - no middle ground. The only
other thing that I've found online so far is that someone uses their Dual on
it's side to play records (?).

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on these two turntables. Thanks!

I can't help you with the specific models, but I abandoned a 70s era
Pioneer model after finding it ran fast but didn't have a way to adjust
the speed. I also had an early-80s Dual. The headshell might require an
adapter. Mine would drop the cartridge if you bumped it picking up the
arm. Maybe it was misinstalled, but I never found a cure.

The "on its side" thing was a marketing trick Dual used to demonstrate
its speed stability. It wasn't meant as a preferred installation!

Stephen