Jason Whorton

Default Pioneer Amp Recalls

One interesting thing is that the less powerful ones were not recalled.

Thank you,
Jason Whorton

"Jason" wrote in message
"Jason Whorton" jason at microxl.com wrote in message
Hello. Does anyone have any additional information about the

Pioneer
amplifier recalls?

Thank you,
Jason Whorton

This is from
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...ierNotice.html

Attention Owners of Pioneer Aftermarket Car Amplifiers Model #

GM-X572,
GM-X574, GM-X972 and GM-D500M

SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

Pioneer has determined that the installation of these car amplifiers

in
a manner other than as recommended by Pioneer may result in a

potential
safety hazard under certain conditions. This improper installation

may
result in the amplifier overheating during use, the exterior surface
becoming hot to the touch, the appearance of smoke and the amplifier
becoming inoperable. Pioneer is not currently aware of any injury or
vehicle damage resulting from the improper installation of these car
amplifiers.

If you own one of these car amplifiers, you should return it to the
retail location where it was purchased for a refund. You should

return
your car amplifier even if you believe it was properly installed.

You
should also return your car amplifier even if you have previously
obtained service for your amplifier or received a replacement

amplifier.

If you have a question that your retailer can not answer, please

call
Pioneer's toll free customer service line in the United States at
800-421-1636.

We regret the necessity of asking you to take these steps but

Pioneer's
primary concerns are your safety and satisfaction with the quality

and
operation of your Pioneer product.

Gee... it sounds like they are saying if you install the amp wrong, it

may
overheat and shutdown, but not cause any damage. And they want to

recall
them for that?? I can't think of many amps that would NOT do the same

under
the same circumstances... I mean if I put the power to the ground and

vice
versa, it prolly wouldnt work well...

John Durbin

They might have felt "the appearance of smoke" was something that needed
attention :-)

A good guess would be that the "improper installation" they speak of was
also of limited nature or scope, I don't think they're trying to tell
you simply that the amp could get hot if you really choked and hooked up
power and ground backwards. I also note that they say they are "not
currently aware of any injury or vehicle damage", which is a very
legalese piece of writing and says nothing about whether they think such
things might take place. Given the recall, how would you call that one?

JD