RBernst929

Default Equipment.

There is alot of debate here and elsewhere about the differences between
equipment. I truly believe that reproduction equipment cannot reproduce a live
performance due to the many compromises in recording both artistic and
electrical. Therefore, I propose that the only criteria that should be used by
any music lover in buying equipment should be these:
Within your personal budget for said equipment, does the reproduced music 1.
involve you? (meaning do you want to listen for long periods of time?)... and
2. does listening produce an emotional reaction? If the answers to these
questions are yes, then you have found your system. All other considerations
that do not add up to the foregoing are spurious. -Bob Bernstein.

chung

RBernst929 wrote:
There is alot of debate here and elsewhere about the differences between
equipment. I truly believe that reproduction equipment cannot reproduce a live
performance due to the many compromises in recording both artistic and
electrical. Therefore, I propose that the only criteria that should be used by
any music lover in buying equipment should be these:
Within your personal budget for said equipment, does the reproduced music 1.
involve you? (meaning do you want to listen for long periods of time?)... and
2. does listening produce an emotional reaction?

Seems to me that those are good questions to ask when you want to buy a
recording. You know, like a CD or a vinyl LP.

My equipment rarely produce an emotional reaction from me, unless
something is broken . But good recordings, and good musical
performances, they do.

If the answers to these
questions are yes, then you have found your system.

Or you have found a recording worth buying.

B&D

On 7/28/04 2:23 AM, in article 8DHNc.200750$Oq2.29864@attbi_s52,
"RBernst929" wrote:

There is alot of debate here and elsewhere about the differences between
equipment. I truly believe that reproduction equipment cannot reproduce a
live
performance due to the many compromises in recording both artistic and
electrical. Therefore, I propose that the only criteria that should be used
by
any music lover in buying equipment should be these:
Within your personal budget for said equipment, does the reproduced music 1.
involve you? (meaning do you want to listen for long periods of time?)... and
2. does listening produce an emotional reaction? If the answers to these
questions are yes, then you have found your system. All other considerations
that do not add up to the foregoing are spurious. -Bob Bernstein.

That is an excellent criteria for building a home stereo setup! Others may
have other criteria, but yours is certainly the most elemental!
Ban

chung wrote:
RBernst929 wrote:
There is alot of debate here and elsewhere about the differences
between equipment. I truly believe that reproduction equipment
cannot reproduce a live performance due to the many compromises in
recording both artistic and electrical.

This is a belief only, I have heard gear reproducing exactly the "live"
atmosphere, so look a little longer and don't be contented with less. I have
a few CDs that have been recorded well and I prefer them even to a live set
with annoying noises from the public.

Therefore, I propose that
the only criteria that should be used by any music lover in buying
equipment should be these: Within your personal budget for said
equipment, does the reproduced
music 1. involve you? (meaning do you want to listen for long
periods of time?)... and 2. does listening produce an emotional reaction?

Seems to me that those are good questions to ask when you want to buy
a recording. You know, like a CD or a vinyl LP.

My equipment rarely produce an emotional reaction from me, unless
something is broken . But good recordings, and good musical
performances, they do.

If the answers to these
questions are yes, then you have found your system.

Or you have found a recording worth buying.

Right Chung, sometimes unexpectedly some recordings really transmit the
"essence", that usually makes my evening.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

[...]

And we can add:

3. knowing that a great many bits of gear sound alike using listening
alone as a criteria, then finding that system is a no brainer.

4. knowing that speakers provide the greatest range in reproduction then
placing almost all one's effort to finding them does the trick.